Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the most surprising thing you've found once you got your Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did tons of research. I only had one surprise. My garage was cooler (temperature). I hadn’t read that my garage would not heat up at much without all the hot parts of an outdated car.
Reminds me of my Corvette. Anyone who knows, knows Corvette's run HOT! I started leaving it in the driveway to cool off because I didn't want the house burning down :) Garage would heat up in the summer over 100 degrees!

I'll start: I'm having trouble shaking the state of constantly having the feeling that I'm forgetting something, because I don't have my prior car's keyfob on my person anymore.

Related, before I got my car I sort of considered this a gimmick. Now I think it's one of the best features.

And now it's amazing how foreign it is to drive my wife's ICE, having to remember to grab keys, unlock the car, and start the engine. And then do it all again when I stop! :eek:

Reactions: SammichLover
Had my S since 8/2016

MOST surprising thing?
Hmmmm, not acceleration because the test drive took out the surprise on that :eek: I was so wowed I placed an order the next day.
No gas: Not a surprise
The nausea goes away.........

Maybe: How knowledgable I am on the car. Not to be a "know it all" but I have gotten so many questions on the car over the years that I feel like I know this car better than any car I have ever had in 40 years of driving. A large thanks goes to this forum for that

How much extra items are needed and though they are not very, very expensive they do add up over time

1. All weather mats for cabin, frunk and trunk
2. Wireless charging for M3.
3. sunshades for roof.
4. Special floor jack pucks and jacks.
5. 14-50 adapter.
6. Electrician to install the 14-50 receptacle in garage.
7. Tesla wall charger in new home as permanent solution.
8. extra key cards

Some were totally not needed but it was better to have, some might have been needed in a ICE car but usually came standard when buying in this price range and some clearly needed for EV. I have held off on screen protectors, Center wraps and other small items let alone things like PPF or other paint protection add-ons

With the recent attack on the Saudi oil refinery, people at work were worried about gas prices going way up. I realized that with my Tesla, I am not as vulnerable to the geopolitical risks of OPEC countries and the Middle East.

A few months ago, there was a strike by Petrol truck drivers in Portugal. People had to wait in long lines just to fill up their gas tanks. Drivers in Teslas would drive right by without giving it much thought.

Surprisingly bad:
Poor sound system SR+
High road noise o highways
Cannot child lock a single door.
Finding out that the dealer does not stock 14-50R adapter was SHOCKING, Its a small part that they can easily carry.

Surprisingly good:
No need to carry fob
Mirrors fold based on GPS
Autopilot
The kids love the arcade, scribble pad, fart sounds etc. I had no idea it would be so popular
HD radio has better reception than my previous car

Good and Expected
Fuel savings compared to ICE
Good acceleration

Bad and expected
Cost to install outlet in garage
no floor mats

This is more of an irritation, but after all the miles I've driven, I still don't seem to be able to cancel the right turn signal without turning on the left signal :( ... there's gotta be some sweet spot I'm failing to find.

What seems to work for me is doing a half-signal in the direction that's already being signalled. It's been 100% reliable for me notwithstanding the occasional argument with NoA.

For me it does not autoengage when drive manually and i hit the brake lightly. I have to hit the brake slightly harder for it to engage.
It only engages in autopilot.

For me, with Creep off, it's been 100% reliable regardless of the degree of slope: it engages automatically anytime I use the brake to come to a complete stop. If you only slow down, it does not engage; you must actually stop and then it instantly goes into Hold, whether I'm facing the car uphill or down.

See page 13 of the owner's manual:

I believe the person to whom you were replying was pointing out that you seemingly cannot, for example, engage a child lock on the rear left door but not the rear right door.

This is more of an irritation, but after all the miles I've driven, I still don't seem to be able to cancel the right turn signal without turning on the left signal :( ... there's gotta be some sweet spot I'm failing to find.

I think this is instinctive for me, because almost all the BMWs I had over the past 15 or so years had a turn stalk that operated exactly the way the model 3 one does. BMW changed this on 2018 and 2019 model cars back to a more traditional turn stalk that actually stays when you push it up, instead of returning to center like all their older ones (and the model 3) does.

In my early "driving bmw" days, it was a pain to get used to, but its ingrained in my memory now so I was happy the model 3 was like this. Does take some getting used to.

Reactions: North75