Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will MX be cross shopped against?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I stumbled upon the Model X after trying to figure out which SUV to get in preparation of starting a family. I knew Tesla was around, but I didn't pay much attention to the roadster or the S, which made compare almost every major company except Tesla at the time LOL. My conclusion at the time (with some input from the wife) was that the Audi Q7 was our top choice. It had good looks, could seat 7, and with the optional turbocharged engine, it could haul some reasonable ass even if it weighed a bunch. The problem with the Q7 was that as we priced it out, we were approaching a sticker price of 70-75k with all the options we wanted. Then pile on the amount of gas that will be needed on a constant basis was a serious downside to an already expensive vehicle. Same goes for the Porsche Cayenne that we looked at briefly (and that price was considerably higher than the Q7)

We also looked at the Infiniti QX60 since I drive a G37 and have had a great experience with my Infiniti. It seemed practical for our needs, but there wasn't enough wow factor or fun factor for an SUV that was going to cost roughly 60k, and again you add in the gas...

Probably on the lower end, we looked at the new Acura MDX but never really considered it.

I came to the conclusion that realistically we would be spending 60-70k on an SUV due to my specific wants/needs regardless of whichever SUV we chose. There wasn't a large spectrum of vehicles to consider once we decided our price point. I was comfortable enough to not want to go lower than that, which took many vehicles out of the running.

That's when I finally looked at Tesla... to take a look at their prized sedan. I had never even been on their website before. And to my utter amazement, they had an SUV in the works based of the S. I was blown away. I was mad at myself for not finding out about it sooner! Everything that I wanted was before my eyes... performance, practicality, style, NO GAS EVER...

I showed my wife. She said "looks cool. how much?" When I told her roughly how much it would cost (based on the S prices) she rolled her eyes at me and said I must be joking. We then did a test drive event here in Scottsdale last summer. She drove a P85+. After the test drive, the first thing she said was "make the reservation for the X"

Done.

I will be the first to admit that there still is a significant price jump from all the vehicles we were considering (except the Cayenne) to the X. In my mind, I don't think that a price jump from 70k+ to 90k+ was that bad, considering what you are getting for than extra money, just MHO. If we had a firm price point below 40k, then the X wouldn't even be in the discussion. So the biggest factor for me was that the extra price jump was well worth it. And that's how I came to the conclusion that the X was my clear choice.

Was hoping to have the vehicle by end of 2014 (which we thought was plausible back in mid 2013) and be our family car when we would have kids. We have twins coming in December! So we will make do for 6-8 months until our X arrives. We will eventually be all-electric when the model 3 gets here. I'm psyched for when that day comes!

Last edited:
The Model X will be replacing our Subaru Forester. If there were no Model X we'd probably be getting another Forester. I know they are not comparable "classes", "segments", or whatever. Absolutely no interest in a "luxury crossover" per se. We're getting the Tesla because it has the space we need with all wheel drive, and it's electric. Put a gasoline motor in it and I wouldn't take it for half price.

I am a little curious, here in our family the Model X will replace my wife's Mercedes ML as our secondary car, is this the case with most of you as well?

Btw, Elon said at the Shareholders Meeting, that the Model X would be more "female friendly" and designed more to women daily use, what are you putting in this?

I am a little curious, here in our family the Model X will replace my wife's Mercedes ML as our secondary car, is this the case with most of you as well?

Btw, Elon said at the Shareholders Meeting, that the Model X would be more "female friendly" and designed more to women daily use, what are you putting in this?
The Model X will be for my wife and it does replace the ML430 Mercedes, but it is mainly a purchase to get my Model S back.

My Model X will be replacing a 2004 Honda Pilot. We've loved the Pilot, but we're looking forward to not having to buy any gas! We also have a 2010 Toyota Prius which will become the backup car (we drive the Prius today most of the time). The only possible hiccup here will be if the Model X can't tow the boat!

X is replacing my Infiniti G37 hard-top convertible. 5 great years of top-down driving and good performance (lead foot = 15-17 MPG with city driving... won't miss that!) but it cannot accommodate a single car seat. X becomes the main family car.

Class definitions melt away for Tesla Motors. A lot of people who had been shopping in the $35,000 to $60,000 range moved up to the Tesla Model S. I think much the same will happen with the Tesla Model X. It will happen again when the Generation III vehicles arrive, as people who may have been looking in the $18,000 to $28,000 range will consider moving beyond $35,000 to get the Tesla Model ≡.

- - - Updated - - -

The only possible hiccup here will be if the Model X can't tow the boat!
My guess is that Tesla Motors will shoot for a 6,000-7,500 LBS towing capacity with the Model X. There is a very old quote that goes:
According to the same spokesperson, "Model X will have towing capability exceeding most SUVs in its class. With all-wheel drive, incredible torque and sophisticated traction control, it will be an excellent towing machine." -- AutoBlogGreen
For the sake of comparison:
Vehicle
MPG
Range
Tow Rating (LBS)
Porsche Cayenne Turbo S164227,716
Lexus LX 570143447,000
AUDI Q7225815,500
BMW X5 xDrive50i173813,500

The Model X will be replacing our Subaru Forester. If there were no Model X we'd probably be getting another Forester. I know they are not comparable "classes", "segments", or whatever. Absolutely no interest in a "luxury crossover" per se. We're getting the Tesla because it has the space we need with all wheel drive, and it's electric. Put a gasoline motor in it and I wouldn't take it for half price.

This.

This.
This.

Looked at but did not test drive Cayenne, X5, X6. It's amazing how cramped they are inside. For a family of 5 plus pooch and occasional ride along, the list gets very short. So I'm counting on minivan-like space, and sports car handling with zero emissions from MX. Too much to ask? Not from Tesla!

I stumbled upon the Model X after trying to figure out which SUV to get in preparation of starting a family. I knew Tesla was around, but I didn't pay much attention to the roadster or the S, which made compare almost every major company except Tesla at the time LOL. My conclusion at the time (with some input from the wife) was that the Audi Q7 was our top choice. It had good looks, could seat 7, and with the optional turbocharged engine, it could haul some reasonable ass even if it weighed a bunch. The problem with the Q7 was that as we priced it out, we were approaching a sticker price of 70-75k with all the options we wanted. Then pile on the amount of gas that will be needed on a constant basis was a serious downside to an already expensive vehicle. Same goes for the Porsche Cayenne that we looked at briefly (and that price was considerably higher than the Q7)

We also looked at the Infiniti QX60 since I drive a G37 and have had a great experience with my Infiniti. It seemed practical for our needs, but there wasn't enough wow factor or fun factor for an SUV that was going to cost roughly 60k, and again you add in the gas...

Probably on the lower end, we looked at the new Acura MDX but never really considered it.

I came to the conclusion that realistically we would be spending 60-70k on an SUV due to my specific wants/needs regardless of whichever SUV we chose. There wasn't a large spectrum of vehicles to consider once we decided our price point. I was comfortable enough to not want to go lower than that, which took many vehicles out of the running.

That's when I finally looked at Tesla... to take a look at their prized sedan. I had never even been on their website before. And to my utter amazement, they had an SUV in the works based of the S. I was blown away. I was mad at myself for not finding out about it sooner! Everything that I wanted was before my eyes... performance, practicality, style, NO GAS EVER...

I showed my wife. She said "looks cool. how much?" When I told her roughly how much it would cost (based on the S prices) she rolled her eyes at me and said I must be joking. We then did a test drive event here in Scottsdale last summer. She drove a P85+. After the test drive, the first thing she said was "make the reservation for the X"

Done.

I will be the first to admit that there still is a significant price jump from all the vehicles we were considering (except the Cayenne) to the X. In my mind, I don't think that a price jump from 70k+ to 90k+ was that bad, considering what you are getting for than extra money, just MHO. If we had a firm price point below 40k, then the X wouldn't even be in the discussion. So the biggest factor for me was that the extra price jump was well worth it. And that's how I came to the conclusion that the X was my clear choice.

Was hoping to have the vehicle by end of 2014 (which we thought was plausible back in mid 2013) and be our family car when we would have kids. We have twins coming in December! So we will make do for 6-8 months until our X arrives. We will eventually be all-electric when the model 3 gets here. I'm psyched for when that day comes!
Love this. Thanks for sharing.

[QUOTE
answer to OP - none nothing no. Does it burn gasoline? Then I don't want it. Does it compete with Tesla? Please.
After I get the X, I just need to make my old truck last long enough to get me to a Tesla pickup (which I need for work). It is very unlikely I will ever buy another new ICE powered car. Only one company, so far, has made that a possibility for me.[/QUOTE]

^^^This. Exactly.