Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cross shopping with Macan Turbo EV

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

I've had a 2022 M3P Red/white since December 2021. Originally ordered a 2022 MSLR but due to shortages at the time, the delivery was far out (april/may 2022) and I had just sold my old car for a good amount of cash (when the market was up) so I needed a car relatively quickly. Ordered the M3P and got a VIN within 10 business days.

I love my M3P, but I've had this lingering regret, wanted the hatch back, the air suspension, comfier interior, etc etc.

With the recent price drops, I'm now cross shopping the MSP (red/white, FSD, arachnids) with the new Macan Turbo EV. Part of me is leaning Porsche, the other Tesla. Configured, both are within about 5K of each other here in Canada.

Anyone else have thoughts ont his? Specifically with the tesla, it's the small things I think I will greatly miss on the Porsche, particularly:

• Sentry mode
  • Ability to see the cameras from the app
  • Dog mode
  • Tesla App (I hear MyPorsche is crap)
  • Automations (on my iPhone, I have a bunch of automations to trigger defrost, car prep, frunk using Siri)
  • Continuous software updates/tweaks
  • Auto seat/steering wheel heating/ventilation (amazing how many cars don't have auto mode for this)
  • EAP/FSD (I don't have EAP/FSD on my M3P, but a friend does and it's nice, esp. for highway driving).
I have no doubt the Porsche will be better made, higher quality, likely more reliable. But it's the small quality of life things that keep pushing me towards the Tesla. My M3P has been perfect, no issues, hasn't been to the garage (maybe I got lucky?), and I put a full PPF on it, which I plan to do if I get the MSP.

Am I crazy cross shopping these, or leaning more towards the Tesla??

Question: my impression is the wait list times for a Macan EV are quite long? Do you even have the option to order and take delivery within the same time frame as an MSP?

Also live in GTA, so have been in touch with Porsche Oakville on the Macan. At first glance it seems like a fantastic cross shop.
But when you consider EAP/ AP, charging network, Plaid power, range, passenger comfort and space, rear cargo room, UI…you so start to notice the major differences.

Side note is that the M3 is better built than any of the Teslas to date and the least number of issues recorded. The MS on the flip side still seems to exhibit issues plaguing from 2012 ie. trembling at various speeds, or while accelerating. Just an observation as you mentioned ‘hassle free’ with your PM3. Also do you use USS when parking? The last Teslas to have them were in 2022 so you will lose this feature with a 2024. Not sure that matters to you.

I’m wondering if you have priced out all the options you require on that Macan? Porsches are notorious for charging for every single thing imaginable.

Here is a Taycan options sheet for reference:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the Macan is about 1 year out if you order today (from what I've heard).

My M3P is only 2 years old, so I'm in no rush, granted I am worried that Tesla increases prices again, I could probably do 5K or so, but if it goes back to what it was a few years ago, no way.

I also feel when FSD V12 becomes widely available, Tesla may increase FSD again.. My logic brain doesn't see how Tesla could increase prices of the car or FSD in this current market with high interest rates, but Tesla is anything but logical :).

Edit: Yes I priced the Macan Turbo EV with all the options I wanted and it's about $160K, vs the MSP which is about 155K with FSD.

Reactions: Destiny1701
Just adding, My M3P does have USS and losing them isn't something I'm looking forward to, which is why I may hold out a bit to see if the rumoured front bumper camera gets included in a few months or so. However, the new high fidelity park assist does seem pretty good.

I also missed out on the Ryzen upgrade by like 1-2 months, which pissed me off, as the Intel chip is so darn slow.

Yeah the Macan is about 1 year out if you order today (from what I've heard).

My M3P is only 2 years old, so I'm in no rush, granted I am worried that Tesla increases prices again, I could probably do 5K or so, but if it goes back to what it was a few years ago, no way.

I also feel when FSD V12 becomes widely available, Tesla may increase FSD again.. My logic brain doesn't see how Tesla could increase prices of the car or FSD in this current market with high interest rates, but Tesla is anything but logical :).

Edit: Yes I priced the Macan Turbo EV with all the options I wanted and it's about $160K, vs the MSP which is about 155K with FSD.
Or you wait for quarter end inventory and you’ll likely pick up a plaid for 122k plus FSD 16k ….138k. Porsche will never have those discounts.

I assume you’ve driven an MSP?

Or you wait for quarter end inventory and you’ll likely pick up a plaid for 122k plus FSD 16k ….138k. Porsche will never have those discounts.

I assume your driven an MSP?

Possibly, but I am particular about my configuration - Ultra red, white seats, arachnid wheels. I'll keep an eye out.

And no, haven't even drive the MSLR.. I have an appt next week to demo the MS, but not sure if they have an MSP available for demo or not.

Just adding, My M3P does have USS and losing them isn't something I'm looking forward to, which is why I may hold out a bit to see if the rumoured front bumper camera gets included in a few months or so. However, the new high fidelity park assist does seem pretty good.

I also missed out on the Ryzen upgrade by like 1-2 months, which pissed me off, as the Intel chip is so darn slow.
Agreed on the Ryzen. My M3 2022 missed it by 2 months. We have an MYP as well mid 2022 and the diff in processing speed is astounding. Used to own MS back 2016-2020 so no stranger to hatch back and sport sedan all wrapped up in one amazing package.

Tough call but I still believe the MsP edges out the Macan with respect to overall package, function, power, range, charging network, self driving, updates, cargo space, rear passenger room. Where the Macan wins is luxury and handling I imagine.

Reactions: Stokkes
I have the MSLR and my buddy has the Macan. Better build for sure but question is.... do you ever travel far enough to need the Supercharger network. For me that keeps me firmly in the MS camp. I drive the car to Maryland and Pennsylvania and it would be spotty and risky to do it without the Superchargers and relying on other public networks (or sitting for hours to charge). MHO.

Reactions: evo9rs and aerodyne
With the recent price drops, I'm now cross shopping the MSP (red/white, FSD, arachnids) with the new Macan Turbo EV. Part of me is leaning Porsche, the other Tesla. Configured, both are within about 5K of each other here in Canada.

Am I crazy cross shopping these, or leaning more towards the Tesla??

No, not crazy. It good to shop around.

However, at the end you will find until there is a reliable charging network for non Tesla's widely available, it's hard to find a good option to Tesla at the present prices.

Reactions: evo9rs
Hi Stokkes, I am likewise considering a Macan EV (Turbo) and I put a deposit down about a month ago to hold my place in line once I heard the wait times. I can confirm they are already quite significant but can only speak from my experience and what the local dealer told me. When I placed the deposit with the dealer, they said it would be about 18-20 months at least before I can configure the vehicle and then 3-4 months for delivery, so from what I can tell orders are about 2 years out from deposit to deliver. Definitely can understand the cross shopping though! I'm located in UT so your experience may vary but that information may help in your decision as that's directly from my local Porsche dealer.

Hi Stokkes, I am likewise considering a Macan EV (Turbo) and I put a deposit down about a month ago to hold my place in line once I heard the wait times. I can confirm they are already quite significant but can only speak from my experience and what the local dealer told me. When I placed the deposit with the dealer, they said it would be about 18-20 months at least before I can configure the vehicle and then 3-4 months for delivery, so from what I can tell orders are about 2 years out from deposit to deliver. Definitely can understand the cross shopping though! I'm located in UT so your experience may vary but that information may help in your decision as that's directly from my local Porsche dealer.
Wow good to know, I haven`t actually gone to my local dealer, but what I`ve read only was deliveries in early 2025. But if it's 2+ years, that may change the calculus somewhat.

Still very much on the fence, all the little things that Tesla does aren't replicated with the traditional car makers.. My M3P has gotten so many new features since I bought it and I would lose all that going with someone else.

Thankfully I don't have to make a decision immediately, but still a lot going through my head.

Yeah, I saw the same and reached out on a whim once it was officially announced by Porsche. I just got my Plaid so wasn't looking for anything now, but wanted to inquire since I loved the look of the Macan EV. From what I can tell, the car goes on sale later this year or early 2025 but most dealers took preorders for their allocations well before the official announcement. So at least at my dealer, the person who will get deliveries this year or early 2025 placed a deposit before it was officially announced by Porsche a month ago, probably quite some time ago from the sound of it. I ended up putting a deposit down as who knows where I'll be in 2025 car wise, so will also be putting a deposit on the Rivian R2 since these new EV's seem to get long waitlists quickly (Other rig is a Rivian R1T and that may be the best car I've ever owned - scandal to say on a Tesla forum).

If any help in your decision making, I've owned a 3, Y and now the Plaid (I can relate to your config as mine is UR, White, w/ Arachnids - You've got good taste!). I can comfortably say you will not regret it. It's an amazing car (though I will say it's had more "quirks" than either my 3 or Y). Recently went on a 1.5K mile road trip and the extra range and charging made the journey much more enjoyable beyond the added comforts over the other models.