Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with my Model X if I need to travel to another country for 8 months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here is what I posted in another thread about storing your EV:

When we went to Europe for a month here's what we did.

1. Plugged car in using Mobile Connector. YOU MUST PLUG THE CAR IN.

2. Cut amp draw of Mobile Connector in half in car to taper the draw (reduce load) on the household line. If you are plugged into a Wall Connector reduce the amperage in the car from 48 to 12-16 amps.

3. Set your state of charge to 50%.

4. Turned OFF Century Mode.

5. Turner OFF any remote services you may have recording telemetry on the car.

6. Buy a bunch of IRISH SPRING bars of soap. Break them up into little pieces and sprinkle them all around the tires, under car and outside too. This will supposedly keep any "critters" from making a home in your car and eating the yummy wiring.

7. Make sure your key cards work to open the doors just in case.

8. To save $$ on insurance, stop collision coverage during the time it's garaged. Talk to your insurance company. They probably have a coverage for you that just covers fire, theft, and natural disasters. We were only gone a short time so I didn't do this but 6 months is a chunk of change to consider. DO NOT stop insurance all together. Fire & theft as a minimum.

9. Leave instructions with someone you trust on how the reset the breaker that the mobile connector is plugged into and also how to unplug and replug the mobile connector to the wall and the car.

10. Try to resist checking on the car through your phone every 5 minutes but do check on it periodically. The car needs to know your still there and care about it and that you haven't abandoned it.

The other option is to sell it and buy a new one on return -OR- loan it to me while your gone. I'll take care of it for you 😉

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

-stew
Thank you for the write up on best way to leave your car unattended and undriven for longer periods of time. I have a quick question for you or any of the other readers. So, leaving the car plugged into the wall charger, will the charger automatically start charging again (up to whatever level you have previously set it at) when the battery charge drops a certain percentage or do you have to actually use the mobile app and after seeing that the battery charge has dropped, manually start the charging again until it shuts off once it reaches the pre-set level?

Thank you for the write up on best way to leave your car unattended and undriven for longer periods of time. I have a quick question for you or any of the other readers. So, leaving the car plugged into the wall charger, will the charger automatically start charging again (up to whatever level you have previously set it at) when the battery charge drops a certain percentage or do you have to actually use the mobile app and after seeing that the battery charge has dropped, manually start the charging again until it shuts off once it reaches the pre-set level?
Yes, just plug it in, when you return it will be at the soc you set it for.
Opening your app may wake the car and is not needed to maintain its charge status.

Reactions: Amazing1
I leave mine for 3 months at a time. I have found that if I just leave it at 50%, it does use a little more electricity as there may be some overhead wattage used to warm battery and other overhead. I know this by the reports I get on how much kw is used, and how much is added to the battery. So when I leave I charge it to 70-80%, then turn it down to 50%. This way it doesn't cycle on every other day. About every 10 days I check on it, and charge it back to 70% and once there I set it back to 50%.