Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to do with my Model X if I need to travel to another country for 8 months?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey fellow EV enthusiasts! I'm facing a bit of a conundrum and could really use your advice. I own a Model X, and I'm about to travel abroad for work for a period of 8 months. I'm torn between what to do with my beloved car during this extended absence. Should I consider selling it, renting it out, or finding a way to take care of it while I'm away? I have a few questions in mind and would appreciate any insights or experiences you can share!

1. Selling vs. Renting: Have any of you had experience selling or renting out your electric vehicles for an extended period? What were the pros and cons? How did it affect the overall ownership experience?
  2. Battery Concerns: I've heard that leaving an electric vehicle parked for a long time can hurt the battery. Is this true? If so, what steps can I take to minimize any potential damage to the battery during the 8-month period?
  3. Charging Before Leaving: Is it a good idea to fully charge the battery before I leave and then disconnect it? Or is it better to keep it plugged in while I'm away?
  4. Car Maintenance: How can I ensure my Model X is well taken care of while I'm not around? Should I find someone to drive the car once in a while to keep it in good condition? If so, how often is recommended?

Hey fellow EV enthusiasts! I'm facing a bit of a conundrum and could really use your advice. I own a Model X, and I'm about to travel abroad for work for a period of 8 months. I'm torn between what to do with my beloved car during this extended absence. Should I consider selling it, renting it out, or finding a way to take care of it while I'm away? I have a few questions in mind and would appreciate any insights or experiences you can share!
A few other parameters come in to the picture. Do you have a partner? is your partner traveling with you or staying at home? Is the car in a garage or outside? Are you (or your partner) allowed to come home while you are away? Do you have any highly trusted friends or relatives that could check on it periodically.
Selling vs. Renting: Have any of you had experience selling or renting out your electric vehicles for an extended period? What were the pros and cons? How did it affect the overall ownership experience?
I have no experience renting out my Tesla, but I am inclined to not go there. What if your tenant breaks it?
Battery Concerns: I've heard that leaving an electric vehicle parked for a long time can hurt the battery. Is this true? If so, what steps can I take to minimize any potential damage to the battery during the 8-month period?
As long as you leave it plugged in and set to 50% to 70%, there should be no battery concerns.
Charging Before Leaving: Is it a good idea to fully charge the battery before I leave and then disconnect it? Or is it better to keep it plugged in while I'm away?
See previous answer. It absolutely, should be plugged in.
  1. Car Maintenance: How can I ensure my Model X is well taken care of while I'm not around? Should I find someone to drive the car once in a while to keep it in good condition? If so, how often is recommended?
There is no required maintenence when you are driving it. Even less if it is not being driven.

Reactions: Bigriver
I had to work abroad for nearly a year (11 months) , and had to make the sad (but justified) decision to sell my 2016 Model S.

I found storage companies that offered ability to watch it/maintain it, but it was like $200/month (included Level 1 charging). I didn't have anyone stateside (family or friends) that I trusted or wanted to encumber with that responsibility (driveway space/charging ability).

When I sold it, it still had 3 years of extended warranty left, so I ended up making money on it, since it was the old used car program. It also had FUSC, which I mis with my current MX.

I'd factor in if it still has warranty left, since that's a good selling point.

I am out of the country for 4 months of the year. I normally leave it parked in my garage, plugged in. I have turned off everything that uses power such as Sentry Mode and Cabin Overheat protection. I have found charging it to 70%, then setting the charge to 50% and leaving it is just fine. When it approaches 50%, I turn the charge max back to 70% for a few hours until that is complete. Takes about 3-4 weeks to get back to 50%. I do have a daughter and son-in-law who also own a Tesla that I don't mind if they drive it occasionally, but really doesn't need it. After 4 months, when I put it in drive, it takes a bit for the brakes to release.

Here is what I posted in another thread about storing your EV:

When we went to Europe for a month here's what we did.

1. Plugged car in using Mobile Connector. YOU MUST PLUG THE CAR IN.

2. Cut amp draw of Mobile Connector in half in car to taper the draw (reduce load) on the household line. If you are plugged into a Wall Connector reduce the amperage in the car from 48 to 12-16 amps.

3. Set your state of charge to 50%.

4. Turned OFF Century Mode.

5. Turner OFF any remote services you may have recording telemetry on the car.

6. Buy a bunch of IRISH SPRING bars of soap. Break them up into little pieces and sprinkle them all around the tires, under car and outside too. This will supposedly keep any "critters" from making a home in your car and eating the yummy wiring.

7. Make sure your key cards work to open the doors just in case.

8. To save $$ on insurance, stop collision coverage during the time it's garaged. Talk to your insurance company. They probably have a coverage for you that just covers fire, theft, and natural disasters. We were only gone a short time so I didn't do this but 6 months is a chunk of change to consider. DO NOT stop insurance all together. Fire & theft as a minimum.

9. Leave instructions with someone you trust on how the reset the breaker that the mobile connector is plugged into and also how to unplug and replug the mobile connector to the wall and the car.

10. Try to resist checking on the car through your phone every 5 minutes but do check on it periodically. The car needs to know your still there and care about it and that you haven't abandoned it.

The other option is to sell it and buy a new one on return -OR- loan it to me while your gone. I'll take care of it for you 😉

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

-stew

Reactions: Falcon73
Another recommendation for you, from someone who has a 3rd car he regularly winterizes for 6 months at a time, is to fill the tires to the max rated psi (found on the side of the tire wall). This will prevent flat spots while you're stationary. Just remember to let air out back to normal pressure before driving again.

Here is what I posted in another thread about storing your EV:

When we went to Europe for a month here's what we did.

1. Plugged car in using Mobile Connector. YOU MUST PLUG THE CAR IN.

2. Cut amp draw of Mobile Connector in half in car to taper the draw (reduce load) on the household line. If you are plugged into a Wall Connector reduce the amperage in the car from 48 to 12-16 amps.

3. Set your state of charge to 50%.

4. Turned OFF Century Mode.

5. Turner OFF any remote services you may have recording telemetry on the car.

6. Buy a bunch of IRISH SPRING bars of soap. Break them up into little pieces and sprinkle them all around the tires, under car and outside too. This will supposedly keep any "critters" from making a home in your car and eating the yummy wiring.

7. Make sure your key cards work to open the doors just in case.

8. To save $$ on insurance, stop collision coverage during the time it's garaged. Talk to your insurance company. They probably have a coverage for you that just covers fire, theft, and natural disasters. We were only gone a short time so I didn't do this but 6 months is a chunk of change to consider. DO NOT stop insurance all together. Fire & theft as a minimum.

9. Leave instructions with someone you trust on how the reset the breaker that the mobile connector is plugged into and also how to unplug and replug the mobile connector to the wall and the car.

10. Try to resist checking on the car through your phone every 5 minutes but do check on it periodically. The car needs to know your still there and care about it and that you haven't abandoned it.

The other option is to sell it and buy a new one on return -OR- loan it to me while your gone. I'll take care of it for you 😉

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

-stew
I hadn’t heard of the Irish Spring thing but otherwise this is how I store mine for my 1 month trips. I keep the Evannex car cover on in case a bird gets in the garage.
One thing I am undecided on is leaving windows in Vent position or not, I have left them fully closed in the past.

I hadn’t heard of the Irish Spring thing but otherwise this is how I store mine for my 1 month trips. I keep the Evannex car cover on in case a bird gets in the garage.
One thing I am undecided on is leaving windows in Vent position or not, I have left them fully closed in the past.
I use bounce dryer sheets. Less likely to stain. I put them inside the car. Haven't had any mice issues since (I have had some in the past with a 3rd summer car stored outside during winter).

• Informative
Reactions: Falcon73
Good suggestions above.

As for renting, I recently looked into become a Turo host... but after the training webinar, I opted NOT to proceed. There were many concerns and it sounds like a royal pain doing 20 pictures before and after each rental (especially if short term; 1-3 days), but the biggest show stopper is they only have $750k of commercial Auto Liability insurance ($1.2M for NY). My personal insurance wouldn't touch this exposure (be excess over it), so it was a non-starter for me. The physical damage issues (to my car), I've heard of with Turo, were a relatively minor concern by comparison.

One thing I've done lately is put a canopy over our Model X (it can't be garaged at home), which is way easier than using a car cover every day. If you don't have a garage it might be a consideration, if someone can keep an eye on it (storms).

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Good suggestions above.

As for renting, I recently looked into become a Turo host... but after the training webinar, I opted NOT to proceed. There were many concerns and it sounds like a royal pain doing 20 pictures before and after each rental (especially if short term; 1-3 days), but the biggest show stopper is they only have $750k of commercial Auto Liability insurance ($1.2M for NY). My personal insurance wouldn't touch this exposure (be excess over it), so it was a non-starter for me. The physical damage issues (to my car), I've heard of with Turo, were a relatively minor concern by comparison.

One thing I've done lately is put a canopy over our Model X (it can't be garaged at home), which is way easier than using a car cover every day. If you don't have a garage it might be a consideration, if someone can keep an eye on it (storms).
Hey what kind of canopy setup? I have been covering my 3rd car outside and building a standalone garage is costly. Car ports look like crap. Do you have a nice looking alternative?

Hey what kind of canopy setup? I have been covering my 3rd car outside and building a standalone garage is costly. Car ports look like crap. Do you have a nice looking alternative?
I think it looks pretty good. My wife approved it as well and it only cost like $150. It's not a perfect size (a few feet short at 13x13') but it makes a massive difference with the hot summer sun, especially during the hottest part of the day. See attached pic for a better idea (taken late afternoon and the shade still covers the windows even until the sun is so low it's not as big a problem).

Attachments

• IMG20230725162359.jpg
    IMG20230725162359.jpg
    505.1 KB · Views: 98
OP here. Thank you all for your comprehensive replies! They are really helpful and have given me a clearer direction. I do have a garage where I can safely park the car during my 8-month absence. After reading all your tips and experiences, I'm leaning towards storing my car in the garage instead of renting or selling it. Since my car is only 1 year old. It might not be worth selling it now.

My partner is traveling with me, and we won't be able to go home and check on the car periodically. Unfortunately, we don't have any close friends nearby. If we store the car, it'll remain there. I have one last concern that I hope you could shed some light on. If I park my car for an extended period, are there any risks of the tires or rims getting out of shape? Additionally, could the brakes stick due to lack of use? If so, what measures can I take to prevent these issues while my car is in storage?

OP here. Thank you all for your comprehensive replies! They are really helpful and have given me a clearer direction. I do have a garage where I can safely park the car during my 8-month absence. After reading all your tips and experiences, I'm leaning towards storing my car in the garage instead of renting or selling it. Since my car is only 1 year old. It might not be worth selling it now.

My partner is traveling with me, and we won't be able to go home and check on the car periodically. Unfortunately, we don't have any close friends nearby. If we store the car, it'll remain there. I have one last concern that I hope you could shed some light on. If I park my car for an extended period, are there any risks of the tires or rims getting out of shape? Additionally, could the brakes stick due to lack of use? If so, what measures can I take to prevent these issues while my car is in storage?

I think four jack stands would be well worth the price. They will hold the tires off the ground and thus protect them from any damage from being in one spot the whole time. It might cost you a few hundred bucks, but you could always sell them when you come back and recap most of that money.

I think four jack stands would be well worth the price. They will hold the tires off the ground and thus protect them from any damage from being in one spot the whole time. It might cost you a few hundred bucks, but you could always sell them when you come back and recap most of that money.

I wouldn't do this. Your suspension is not designed to hang like that for extended periods of time.

Fill up the tires to max psi and you'll be fine for the storage period.

Regarding brakes, car will make some noise for first few stops and then be good as new.

Source: I meticulously winterize my Porsche every single year for 6 months. 6 years now. Car has zero problems.

Reactions: brainhouston

Probably yes in both cases. But both will be corrected the first drive after your return. Neither are a big deal.

I often have reason not to use cars for months at a time. (As well as working away a lot of the year, I also own too many cars). As said above, inflate the tyres to the max and leave it plugged in with the charge target set to 50%. Also, don't leave the park brake on. Either leave it in neutral (not park) or leave it in tow mode.
Just to clarify, I have not ever "left" the Tesla as the wife uses it when I am away, but this is what I would do.
For my ICE cars, high tyre pressures, no park brake and the 12V battery on a conditioner has done me well over many years.