Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

M3P battery draining while traveling overseas long term (Sentry has been off)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve never seen or read anyone where the battery was bricked to 0% then again it’s been a long while since I’ve been on this site.

Usually everything stops at 20% battery.

Hope it works when you get to your ride.
I’ve seen a few posts (one linked in this thread) that has cars that were in a shop for awhile stay at 0% for a pro-longed period and were fine. I think the user AAKEE showed that if the car sits for longer than 5 months at 0% that’s when real degradation begins

But yeah, the senior battery eng I know personally at Tesla said it should’ve stopped at 20%. So he thinks it’s the RCM or Faulty seat sensor too that’s causing the car to not go to sleep. The seat sensor fault is caused by the seat heater melting parts of of the sensor in pre-2021 cars. The RCM apparently there’s a known electrical fault that can occur as well. He said it might be a bad HV battery that has a bad cell so they might need to replace the car HV battery fully

I was hoping it would be the 12v battery though but given car is still awake after a week at 0, I don’t think that’s the case

Reactions: Wennfred
Hi everyone,

I’d really really appreciate any help here. My M3P 2020 is suddenly draining way more battery while I’m overseas on work. I charged my car to 90% before leaving 10 days ago.

I’ve lost 50% in the last 10 days I’ve been gone. Sentry mode has been off the whole time (I disabled it before leaving), as well cabin overheat protection. It is parked in an underground garage in my condo building (where it always is) with temps hovering around 50F-60F so no changes there. For reference, M3P has only about 5k miles total on it. I have not been checking the app frequently to avoid waking the car up even more. Also, my building does not allow for chargers at our parking spots yet (which is annoying). I also have never used any third party apps.

Ive done this work trip many many times over the past 4 years and lost at most 7-10% over the same 2 month period. I won’t be back until June and am worried about the car staying at a state of charge of 0 for a pro-longed period of time. At the rate it’s going, it’ll be 0% in about 8 days. I feel rather helpless so I’m wondering if anyone has any insights into what I’m dealing with here / if anyone has experienced anything similarly.

I contacted Tesla service / support but haven’t heard back yet.

Tl;dr I’m losing 5% battery a day with sentry mode turned off the entire time and have only checked the app 3 times over the past 10 days.
We leave our M3 plugged in when we travel for extended periods of time

Reactions: Level8Drummer
Considering how large this forum and how many people are willing to help others, you probably could have found someone local on here who could have charged the car for you. Probably too late for that now, but worth mentioning for future reference.