Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What sets Tesla apart from the rest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point was, I think, that it's unfortunate that some folks are using the Superchargers as their daily top-off because they live near one. Those stations are designed for folks traveling long distances. When someone abuses them, not only are they causing extra stress on their own battery pack, they are taking a charging spot from someone who MUST CHARGE to get to their destination. The EV culture is young. These behaviors need to be addressed so we can move forward.

I suspect even a nominal fee of $1/hour for parking would deter most of the "hogs". (This, please note, is not a fee for charging -- the charging would remain free -- and yes, I know I'm using a technicality here.) It also would be unlikely to be necessary outside major metropolitan areas. If the fee was charged in the way I usually see parking charged for -- $1 for anything from a minute to an hour -- it would keep away most people who are just trying to "top off", while still seeming eminently reasonable to people on road trips.

Free resources get overused and cause all kinds of problems -- and parking is a *particular* example of this. There was an entire book about this, called _The High Cost of Free Parking_.

I've also said on another thread that when the X or E come out then shipping/deliver companies will be all over this.
Fuel is a major expense for them. If they go back and forth between two towns every day and can give the driver some task to do (computing, stuffing envelopes, etc.) while Supercharging, or even requiring it be done during lunch, they will buy the cars, claim the green cred and fuel their daily business for free.

As usual, vfx hints at something interesting.

Imagine a taxi company ordering 100 vehicles in one city, and establishing headquarters within 3 blocks of a supercharger. Further imagine that all vehicle charging for this company happened at the supercharger.

I'm curious how Tesla would react to this.

Imagine a taxi company ordering 100 vehicles in one city, and establishing headquarters within 3 blocks of a supercharger. Further imagine that all vehicle charging for this company happened at the supercharger.

Hypothetical what if's we could play all day.

And hey, if they bought Tesla's great!

Worrying about who's charging and when is NOT the issue right now.

I'm sure if they are getting overwhelmed, then more would be built.

Let's worry about getting more cars sold and built.

Those stations can be used by ANY Tesla owner at ANY time.

There is no 'abuse' in using the charging station--a Tesla buyer paid for it, so I say use as much as they want. No law against that (please feel free to point me to Tesla documentation stating not for daily use).

I don't live close enough to one to make use of it everyday, so I don't really care either way.

Charge up often and free--go for it!

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should or that it is the polite thing to do. Did they pay for it? Sure but so did everyone else on the promise it is there for long distance travel. Hogging a limited resource just because someone feels entitled is hardly the right thing to do and if more than a few percent of owners act like this the entire charging system can break down with long lines for charging.

Hypothetical what if's we could play all day.

And hey, if they bought Tesla's great!

Worrying about who's charging and when is NOT the issue right now.

I'm sure if they are getting overwhelmed, then more would be built.

Let's worry about getting more cars sold and built.

More Superchargers being built also means they will likely raise the price on the 'free' Supercharging by increasing the price of the car.

Just because someone can do something doesn't mean they should or that it is the polite thing to do. Did they pay for it? Sure but so did everyone else on the promise it is there for long distance travel. Hogging a limited resource just because someone feels entitled is hardly the right thing to do and if more than a few percent of owners act like this the entire charging system can break down with long lines for charging.

I guess I see both sides--no right or wrong. But, I certainly respect your opinion.

However, if it starts to become a 'real' issue, then it should be addressed. I just haven't heard of major waits at SC's yet, and it impacting anyone's travel. People need to post their experiences with pictures and wait times maybe.

If the chargers are getting full, I think that's actually a good thing (means cars are selling). Also means Tesla will see the need to build more.

Who knows, I could be wrong.

At this point I'm still waiting for mine to arrive.

Entitlement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

If the chargers are getting full, I think that's actually a good thing (means cars are selling). Also means Tesla will see the need to build more.
Unfortunately, no, it doesn't. It means that at least 4-16 people (depending on SC build-out at a location) people have decided that they want to use it as a personal parking spot and home charging location.

- - - Updated - - -

I am an insurance broker in Saratoga Ca, we are the largest Hagerty Insurance brokerage in NORCAL. We also insure Tesla's so I have admired them, since insuring one of the first S models. So what sets the Tesla apart: they should be insured properly and please do not assume that yours is. I have also had a somewhat small accident, which cost $40K, and my estimate is that's about 30% higher. Why? cost and availibilty of parts, and currently there are only 2 certified repair centers. Again do not assume you have factory parts, or guaranteed replacement if totaled for 3 years. Ask you insurance company if they know the difference between AGREED VALUE, REPLACEMENT VALUE, AND STATED VALUE. I they do not you have a problem. In my area I see at least one S per day or more, and I often wonder IF they have adequate coverage. I hope this helps someone finding out to late...........
Welcome to the forum.

Can you start a thread about this topic (in this sub-forum is probably fine)? I'm definitely interested in hearing more of what you have to say. I sometimes worry that "my precious" is not adequately insured. Especially since Signature isn't really replaceable in North America.

Thanks!

After talking with a tech for 3 hours and getting a defective latch fixed on my P85 i learned there is 1 HUGE customer service point that sticks out in quality compared to other makes and dealers... :cursing:

What other car brand actually lets you talk to the technician? Car companies must have laws against that.

Here's the usual line of communication at a luxury car dealership...

Customer --> Service Manager --> Garage Supervisor --> Technician (Remember the movie, Lost in Translation?)

What other car brand actually lets you talk to the technician? Car companies must have laws against that.

It's the dealers that have laws against that. If you do get to to talk to the actual person working on your car, they seem to always be the most junior person who doesn't understand one word in ten of your explanation.

does the Mercedes B Series made with the Tesla powertrain charge at superchargers? I believe supercharging and range charge is like junk food for the battery, its okay occasionally but not good if done constantly in the long run

Tesla have said the SCs are free, but they never said they wouldn't cap usage. If someone was abusing the system I can see them adding some sort of frequency cap.

As more people start using SCs, more solar panels will be added (many SCs have none now), lowering ongoing costs.

Do we really have to abuse any given system until it breaks just because it's "free" or "unlimited"?

Can't we just be reasonable and adult about it? Then we all won't have to suffer the consequences of that abuse, whether it be higher vehicle prices, throttled/limited charging, or just a stern talking-to.

I think Tesla would react by:

a) adding more superchargers and/or charging spots
b) increasing prices

That is what I'd do....

An easier solution would be careful placement of future SCs. Don't put them near metro areas, just out in the hinterlands off exits with minimal attraction/population other than a restaurant or two. The odds of the locals overwhelming such locations would be low and they'd be prohibitively far from urban/suburban areas to make a special trip worthwhile. It would also be in keeping with the general idea that SC use is only for longer trips-- and they you DON'T need them where you are going, but rather just along the way.

Furthermore, if you're buying a car like this the responsibility is really YOURS to provide for your own means of home charging at a rate that equals your regular use-- whatever that may be. When arriving at a metro area as a visitor, the hotels willing to accommodate guest charging will be the ones rewarded with lots of Tesla's in their lots.

Really, a SC within 100 miles of a population center is pretty contrary to the stated goals of using them for long-distance travel.

Maybe these daily users actually have a long commute that takes them by a supercharger. In which case it could be argued they are using them as intended.

- - - Updated - - -

And maybe they aren't range charging, but just adding a high value 10 minutes of charge. I'm sure that's less stressful to the battery than getting to 100%

This is talking about people who could charge at home but choose not to in order to get free electricity. People who need to charge there (even after charging at home) because of a long commute are using the chargers as intended.