Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of roof will you be getting?

What kind of roof will you be getting?

• Panoramic, for the extra headroom

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Panoramic, for the satellite radio

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Panoramic, just because I like the idea

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Body color

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Black top

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL. Presumably the purchase cost, maintenance costs, and leak potential would be lower if there was just one piece of glass replacing the several pieces and motor.

Haha, I'm just messing with you guys, but you're right, it likely would be a simpler (and lighter) construct. Can't see why they couldn't offer it in the future (maybe Gen III will have that as a cheaper option or something).

The black top does like nice!

2012-Tesla-Model-S-rear-three-quarter-1.jpg

2012-Tesla-Model-S-front-1.jpg

Black heating up the car is a valid concern, but, in my case, 90+% of the time (at home and at work), the car will be parked indoors. I like the contrast; has worked well with our other car (a Mini with brown exterior and silver roof).

Which would make the car hotter in the sun, pano or black roof top?

My sense is, because of insulation with the black roof, it must be cooler than pano. And also more quiet perhaps.

For those of you concerned about pano roofs leaking over time, here's one more data point. I still drive a 1995 Toyota with a sunroof. No leaks what-so-ever in that area. I have leakage in other areas, but the sunroof is still solid.

So I'm not concerned so concerned about leakage as I am about solar heating in the cabin. But it sounds like the data points we heard from the drives is that it doesn't sound like an issue. We'll have to wait to hear from owners who have some good August/Sept experience with the car this year to know for sure about the solar issue.

For those of you concerned about pano roofs leaking over time, here's one more data point. I still drive a 1995 Toyota with a sunroof. No leaks what-so-ever in that area. I have leakage in other areas, but the sunroof is still solid.

Makes sense, given how sunroofs are typically designed. They're designed to assume a small amount of leakage, and they provide for drainage of the water. I think they typically start to "leak" if the drain gets plugged up, which could happen, for example, if you left the roof open a lot and got a lot of dust/dirt/pollen/debris up in there.

I voted for "pano because of headroom" and I am bummed by this. I've had a string of bad luck with panos: leaks, wind noise, unreliable operation. But my son is pushing on towards 6'4", and even though that's mostly legs, the extra height is going to force my hand. Which is too bad -- there really shouldn't be such a huge (nearly 2") difference in headroom.

For what's its worth, we have a pano roof on our 2009 Audi A4 Avant and we have not had any major issues with it. There was only 1 time where we had to lube it as it was sticky. It had been 4+ years since we bought it new. I hope Tesla's quality is as good or better.

I like the idea of a glass roof and I like the extra headroom. But I doubt I'll ever open it, so I wish they would offer a non-opening glass roof too.

A non-opening glass roof is actually is an excellent idea since the car was unquestionably designed for the pano roof. They could use one of the types of smart glass which change opacity proportional to the electrical current across it. The glass could become completely opaque or could let in varying amounts of light. Certainly this would be a pay-for option but some of us are currently willing to pay $1,500 to get the headroom of the pano roof which we will never open. I wonder too if the roof were fixed smart glass if it would be possible to eliminate that top bar which accompanies the pano roof.

Does Model S Manual Sunshade block-out ALL Sunlight?

My question for all of you that have had your 8 minute thrill drives :biggrin: so far is this: (I'm going to either the Palo Alto or NYC events)

Does the "manual sunshade" block-out all sunlight?

The reason I'm asking is we recently leased a 2012 ML 350 Bluetec (diesel) - hopefully our last ICE(!) - for 24 months while waiting to LEASE (Note to GeorgeB/Elon et al: we need our small business tax deductions!) our Model X P83. The Benz SUV has a panoramic sunroof with an automatic sunshade that operates as follows:

1. Opens sunshade (they roll from the front panel and 2nd row panels into a hiding place in the middle where there is no glass).
2. Opens front seat section of glass.

The problem my wife has is Mercedes used a really cheap nylon or polyester fabric for their so-called "sunshade". It hardly shades anything. My wife thinks it's an "epic" design fail and wants me to call Montvale to complain. (Of course, Elon never compares his vehicles to Benz, since they are key investors and parts bin suppliers, so his comparisons are always to Bimmers or Porsche 911's. LOL! But I digress...)

Also, how does the Model S' manual sunshade operate?

The workaround for the ML 350 to get my wife to ride in the vehicle was to place a 13x19 inch sheet of photographic paper between the glass and so-called sunshade. It's really a kludge, since I'm constantly removing it and opening the pano roof and all the windows when I drive. LOL! I wear wraparound sunglasses under a baseball cap, and a windbreaker made out of a very lightweight fabric, to try to avoid skin cancer down the road, since my fair Norwegian DNA skin burns very easily.

Thanks,

Russ

PS. Here in Northern California, the typically great weather enables me to enjoy open air driving. I just wish that the market share for EV variants increases as fast as possible so I will breath much less polluted air. Diesel fumes (from trucks), for one, are a known carcinogen. I avoid it as much as I can.

Tesla's website:

"
All Glass Panoramic Roof

With the All Glass Panoramic Roof, Model S is the only sedan capable of delivering a convertible-like drive experience every day. It's more than a sunroof: the entire roof is constructed from lightweight safety glass. With a simple swipe of the Touchscreen, it opens wider than any other sedan's panoramic roof. Manual sunshades and wind buffet arm are included. On even the hottest days, the innovative glass blocks 98% of visible light and 81% of heat to keep the cabin comfortable.
"

Last edited: