Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of roof will you be getting?

What kind of roof will you be getting?

• Panoramic, for the extra headroom

Votes: 31 15.4%
  • Panoramic, for the satellite radio

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Panoramic, just because I like the idea

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Body color

Votes: 37 18.4%
  • Black top

Votes: 14 7.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A non-opening glass roof is actually is an excellent idea since the car was unquestionably designed for the pano roof. They could use one of the types of smart glass which change opacity proportional to the electrical current across it. The glass could become completely opaque or could let in varying amounts of light. Certainly this would be a pay-for option but some of us are currently willing to pay $1,500 to get the headroom of the pano roof which we will never open. I wonder too if the roof were fixed smart glass if it would be possible to eliminate that top bar which accompanies the pano roof.
This would be a super option -- I think other companies call this a "moon roof". Keep the price at $1500, pay for the snazzy electrochromatic glass with the savings on the mechanicals. And, no need for a sunshade with the better glass. I'd choose this in a heartbeat over the current pano.

A non-opening glass roof is actually is an excellent idea since the car was unquestionably designed for the pano roof. They could use one of the types of smart glass which change opacity proportional to the electrical current across it. The glass could become completely opaque or could let in varying amounts of light. Certainly this would be a pay-for option but some of us are currently willing to pay $1,500 to get the headroom of the pano roof which we will never open. I wonder too if the roof were fixed smart glass if it would be possible to eliminate that top bar which accompanies the pano roof.

I asked this question of a Tesla engineer, really more to see if it could be done in lieu of a sunshade, and the glass is incredibly expensive.

Oh, we got our first person who's buying the pano roof for the satellite radio. Save yourself the $1500 if that's really the reason you'd get the pano--satellite radio is supported with all roof types.

No - actually I just convinced myself to get the Pano roof 6 months ago in order to get Sat. radio and then once I decided to get it I I couldn't go back just to save $1500 on a $110K car :(

It's key to structural integrity, also there as a roll-bar.
Okay, thought experiment...
Let's say I want a very thin bar to replace it, I don't want the shade at all ("Jurvetson mod"), and they can use whatever material they want so as to maintain the structural integrity. How much extra would that cost me? $10k?

Furthermore, my recollection is that Jurvetson's doesn't have the big bar yet it's apparently street legal. No?

Okay, thought experiment...
Let's say I want a very thin bar to replace it, I don't want the shade at all ("Jurvetson mod"), and they can use whatever material they want to do so to maintain the structural integrity. How much extra would that cost me? $10k?

It won't be just the strength, there is also the stiffness to consider. If the stiffness isn't right it won't work with the rest of the car.

It won't be just the strength, there is also the stiffness to consider. If the stiffness isn't right it won't work with the rest of the car.
Right. So tap SpaceX for material that is suitable. I'm sure there's some number they could come up with. Maybe it's got 20 digits, but I'd be curious to hear the number.

You guys do know that the car is already in production, right? :wink:

There will almost certainly be a V2.0 if not a V1.5:smile:

What I would like is for the solid roof to have some kind of a coating rather than a standard headliner. That would give back all but about 5mm of headroom when compared to the pano roof. It needs to be a bit thick (not just spray on flocking) to provide insulation.

In the same way that the roll-bar is an afterthought then?
This is the first I've heard about a roll-bar in the same context as Model S.

In contrast, the console was discussed long before they even started observing the apparent concern that led to the inclusion of a shade... which, as I understand it, was part of what caused the switch to a the larger cross-member below the panoramic roof.

So, if you want to talk about "in production" I kind of wish -- like others -- that those of us not worried about wanting a shade weren't "punished" with an ugly large bar that, by all accounts I've heard, looks "amateurish" in quality, "mismatched" relative to interior dash accoutrements, and "last minute" in general.

So yah, I guess I think it kinda sucks.

^ I haven't seen anything other than in the Beta's (which didn't bother me) but the last I heard (and others stated this also) was that the shade will not be available at launch but will be retro-fitted. Based on that I'm waiting to see what it looks like and, seeing as I'm already configured, hoping I don't hate it.

Yah, I'm in the same boat. There's a growing list of "new knowns" that are in the "dislike" category. None have pushed me in the "don't buy" direction, but I'm still not happy about them. And I'm mentally preparing a list of potential after-market "corrections".

I am not planning on the pano right now, although the headroom issue might tempt me to add it. I don't think my kids will get tall, but they have a 6'1" uncle, everyone else is under 6' tall from both sides of the family. I have tall friends though, but they'll probably sit in the front with the short wives in the back.

Has anyone had the opportunity to compare the two options in the test drives? I'd love to know if there is a soundproofing difference (obviously when the pano is open it will be noisier, but how is it when closed? And is it decent to drive with it open at highway speeds?). Can you look up at the sky from the front row? What is the visibility like for the back passengers when the pano is closed and opened (looks like the "front" glass stacks on top of the back glass)? I've had a vehicle with a sunroof before that was rarely used, in fact I usually had the cover over it since I couldn't see any sky anyway from the front and it was small enough that my kids in rows 2 and 3 didn't have much of a view either.

Thanks!