Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between the signature performance and GP performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked Tesla directly what the difference was between Sig Perf and GP Perf and I was told that there were only three differences. 1. Sig Red option, 2. Sig badging, and 3. early delivery. For Perf, there are absolutely no other differences.

Since I'm going with Pearl White, I would be paying $5,000+ for badging and early delivery and I'm seriously considering downgrading.

I was offered to upgrade to the Sig list from the General Production wait list (P5277). I have 2 days to decide. I'm considering the Sig Performance or the GP Performance. I can't really decide!

On the one hand, I'd love to get the car early. But would not have a chance to read the reviews in the mainstream car mags (which I never read, but just for this Model S I will). On the other hand, I don't really care for burgundy option, white leather, or Sig badging or $5k early delivery fee.

So I'm PROBABLY going to pass and stay with my GP reservation.

....but boy is it hard not to go ahead and wire that $35k and get a Sig Performance. But I'm the kind of guy that can't watch movies without seeing the reviews first b/c I don't wasting my time. I HIGHLY DOUBT I'll be disappointed, even if I got the Sig....but you never know I guess.

ugh! This nauseates me.

When I signed up for a Sig over two years ago, I was told 1) you would get a test drive before your final decision, 2) there would be extra features only available on the Sig, and 3) the Sigs would be delivered first. So far only one of those things (#3) looks like it will come to fruition. What Tesla is trying to accomplish is difficult and immense so I'm somewhat understanding, and I know circumstances change over time. On the other hand, I was taught to be a man of my word - if I promised you something, I would deliver.

In regards to item #1 (test drive before final decision) I can kind of let that slide by and classify it under circumstances change. With the desire to start delivering the first cars as soon as possible and the timing of final road approval, I can see the logistical problems in arranging test drives before getting the first orders in. It is a confluence of events that led to this. So I can accept not having a test drive before putting in the final order.

In regards to item #2 (exclusive features for the Sigs), I'm not understanding it all. First I don't consider one different exterior color (red) and one different interior color (white) exclusive features, especially when there are other exterior and interior colors not available for Sigs. Second I'm not as understanding or forgiving as with item #1 because Tesla had plenty of time to back up their sales pitch and making available exclusive features for Sigs is entirely in Tesla's control. An example would be a slightly more upgraded sound system. Or once they decided they weren't really going to make exclusive features available for Sigs, they could have factored it into the price and not charge the Sig premium. I think Tesla could have done something to make it palatable to Sig owners.

So of the three material items I was promised when I signed up for a Sig, only one will come to fruition (first delivery). One I can understand the complications and let it slide (test drive before committing). One I don't find acceptable (lack of exclusive features). I want to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt and maybe they'll still surprise the Sig owners with a feature not previously mentioned, but as of now it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It is more a matter of principle than anything. You do what you say you are going to do.

I had a very similar issue when options came out (I had a reservation on a 160). My feelings were and are directly in-line with yours, with the end result in my case being the cancellation of my reservation. So, you are certainly not alone in having a bad taste in your mouth.

However, I'm still reading these forums because I'm still very excited to see this vehicle come to fruition. I'm hoping Tesla learns from their mistakes here for the X and beyond, and eventually wins me back into the fold.

Good luck with your Sig/Performance, when all is said and done you're going to have one awesome car dude!

Looks like Tesla added one more difference between Signature and non-Signature: ''That’s why today I am announcing that all U.S. Signature Series owners will receive one year of free wireless connectivity in their Model S. That’s right, Tesla is picking up the tab...", George writes in his blog. Here's hoping for some more goodies to come.

Looks like Tesla added one more difference between Signature and non-Signature: ''That’s why today I am announcing that all U.S. Signature Series owners will receive one year of free wireless connectivity in their Model S. That’s right, Tesla is picking up the tab...", George writes in his blog. Here's hoping for some more goodies to come.

I'm vey thankful for this as data plans can get expensive (though not as expensive as the extra money we're paying to be sigs). Wonder if XM is going to be thrown in too?

The one year of free internet is nice and one of the small things I think they finally realized they could throw in at little cost to try and make the Signature package worth the cost differential. Glad they did it.

The free internet is not that big a deal. Today Verizon announced that they are creating shared plans starting the end of June in which up to 10 devices can be included. Adding a tablet costs $10.00 per month. If the Model S tablet falls in that category, it is minimal cost to add it to your plan. ATT has not yet announced their shared data plan, but you can be certain it will be similar to Verizon's plan.

I don't have all the numbers memorized since I've never been in the market for the Sig (I was a 160 reservation holder), but if the Sig premium was something like $5k, and if annual maintenance/service is rumored to be something like $650 a year, why doesn't Tesla just give free annual maintenance for five years? Or even do something as bold as 'free annual service for the life of the vehicle', with 'life' meaning the warranty period of 8 years. Just a suggestion, could be an easy way to give value to Sig buyers and keep goodwill?

I might be off on the premium, warranty period and rumored annual service cost so correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going off memory.

No, you're right Jim, the premium is about $5k. It's annoying that they're dribbling out additional benefits at the last minute. They might have kept some Sig reservation holders if they listed all the goodies from the get-go. :-/

Free wireless for a year is a dent in the Sig premium, but a very small one.

swegman, keep in mind that the "shared" plans are all under one data cap. So if you sign up for a 5-gig plan, then it's not 5GB per device, but 5GB for all devices! So if someone watches a movie on their iPad, 1GB could already be down the tubes.

I realize the data is shared. Right now I have 2 iphones with "unlimited" data, which is really 2GB per phone, a third iphone with a 2GB data plan, an ipad with "unlimited" data (again really 2GB), and an ipad2 with a 2GB data plan. All on AT&T. Service costs approx.$280/month. Getting a 10GB shared plan for all these devices plus the car will be cheaper than what I pay now, and the car (if it is considered equivalent to a tablet) will cost only $10/month (under Verizon, which AT&T will probably maych).