Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the difference between the signature performance and GP performance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember that for later Sig holders, if they drop back their delivery could be delayed by a year as they could drop back to a very high P # so the value of early delivery could be significant. If someone is lower on the Sig list then the delivery penalty is less since they will presumably drop to a lower P #.

When did you hear that? I was told a bit over a year ago that the differences were: the Red, some badging, early deliveries, and would have to take all options - but what the options would be wasn't well known. That's it. As Sig Roadsters didn't have special options, no-one I spoke to at Tesla thought Sig Model S would have special options.

Tesla has and is making mistakes, but in my view they are very open as to what's going on. That they're now thinking of changing things like the Lacewood is, IMHO, a good thing. It means they're listening to the feedback they're getting. With most car companies, changes wouldn't happen until the next model year - these are happening before the first car is delivered.

It was very clearly conveyed early on that Signature was meant to be a "limited edition" with features that would not be available on general production. That's pretty much why I decided to go Signature as I thought it would help to retain some value over time and the knowledge that you had something that was the pinnacle of an extraordinary pyramid. I just don't consider red paint and white seats the type of "features" that justify a limited edition. Yes, you are getting the car first in the queue, but you also had to put down five times as much in deposit, some even before the DOE loan was approved and when it was really a risky unsecured loan to the company. It's possible they'll throw in some "surprise" to make the early commitment feel good, but the lack of info from HQ for their best customers and the inability to provide test drives - even if only to decide if the regular sig was enough "oomph" compared to performance would have been most welcome. I think they could have also used carbon accents for Sig only, or other unique accents that will never make it into production - or even a gee whiz feature limited only to the first 1000 cars. Maybe something will still be done, but its pretty clear from HQ sales staff that things are what they are. And my point is not that Tesla has not listened to some feedback or that people are not pleasant - that's clearly not the case. But they have not kept their best customers very well informed and it gets somewhat frustrating (I learned of changes to lacewood and paint armor after doing the config memo from this forum, not from the sales staff - that's nuts.)

I think you have to understand that for a Sig reservation, it's really not about economics - I could have bought a Mercedes E class diesel and probably had better economics over a lot of years vs. the Model S given how little mileage I put on these days. But I see the benefits in cleaner air, more efficient use of power, less money to the middle Eastern countries whose rulers love our $ but want to kill us, and the benefits of not having to put our soldiers and fellow citizens at risk to defend that which shouldn't be necessary. And someone has to go first, and I've been fortunate enough in life to have that chance, so I'm willing to take it. Let's just hope that the car itself proves out to be everything it seems it can be - that will at least be a balm for not delivering on the entire original promise.

I have both a signature reservation and a production reservation. There is about a 330 car dfference between the two reservations, so the delay for me would likely be one month at most (according to Tesla). Reading on this website about all the things that will not be ready at launch (see firmware update thread), maybe it would be best to exercise the 6 month extension, so Tesla can finalize things.

You quoted this once before but never explained where you came up with the 6 months. What's your source?

From the TM site, Model S Facts | Tesla Motors, under Purchasing --> Reservations:

You have the one-time option to defer the date on which your vehicle enters production.

I believe there was mention of this deferal being 6 months somewhere but I can't find it now.

I believe there was mention of this deferal being 6 months somewhere but I can't find it now.

As far as I know it's never been there. It's was quoted on the forum but nobody's actually ever provided a link or document.

BTW, it should be noted that that you can defer your production date; Tesla has never said you can simply wait 6 months to decide if you want the car or not. I'm sure they'll be flexible but according to the wording you'll still have to commit, make your deposit non-refundable, and then defer the date on which your vehicle enters production.

P.S. Sorry for the OT. Let's try not to extend this conversation here.

As pointed out above, its on their website. You can also c all them and ask them. They realize that many people will not comit approximately $100K for the car without a test drive, and they do not anticipate having vehicles for test drives until August (possibly later depending on location).

As pointed out above, its on their website.

This from the website:

web res.jpg

Please add your link if you have something different.....

Another link:

Model S | Frequently Asked Questions | Tesla Motors
It does not state the specific deferral period, but call them, they will confirm the deferral can be up to six months. They still have many things to finalize about the car, and several features that they said the car has will not be available when it first ships on June 22, 2012. And they have repeatedly stated that if you want to test drive the car before finalizing your order you can defer.

Call them and they will confirm it. I don't know why you have such a hard time with that. Three different people at the company in CA told me that, my DC sales rep and the NY sales rep all said the same thing. Just call and ask your sales rep or call the company directly.. I also saw it either on this website or the telsla motors website, but don't see a search function to put in a text query.

Another link:

Model S | Frequently Asked Questions | Tesla Motors
It does not state the specific deferral period, but call them, they will confirm the deferral can be up to six months. They still have many things to finalize about the car, and several features that they said the car has will not be available when it first ships on June 22, 2012. And they have repeatedly stated that if you want to test drive the car before finalizing your order you can defer.

I've heard the same, but never heard the 6 months figure. I don't know of anyone that has deferred, but if anyone has, perhaps they can shine some light on the specifics.

I've heard the same, but never heard the 6 months figure. I don't know of anyone that has deferred, but if anyone has, perhaps they can shine some light on the specifics.

My sales rep told me that I had 30 days from my initial notice to sign a final contract and to maintain Signature status. Otherwise, I could elect to defer for "up to six months." He confirmed this with his manager. On the other hand, he was then unwilling to tell me what my new reservation number would be if I did elect to defer (I'm not planning on doing so). So, while they say one thing, I still don't believe that they're entirely sure or willing to commit!

My sales rep told me that I had 30 days from my initial notice to sign a final contract and to maintain Signature status. Otherwise, I could elect to defer for "up to six months." He confirmed this with his manager. On the other hand, he was then unwilling to tell me what my new reservation number would be if I did elect to defer (I'm not planning on doing so). So, while they say one thing, I still don't believe that they're entirely sure or willing to commit!

Hm... So it sounds like a deferral is a downgrade?

My understanding is that you can not defer and still obtain a Signature model. I asked him multiple times in multiple different ways. The end result was always that if my contract is not signed within 30 days of my configuration email request, I would not be getting a Signature. He was very nice about it and assured me that he could get me into one of the test drive events before my 30 days were up, if I needed to see/test the car prior to making a final decision. Now, there's always a chance that my sales representative may not have his facts straight, but he seemed to be pretty clear on the matter. If somebody hears otherwise, please post ASAP!

Of course it is if it's a six month deferral. Tesla is producing Sigs right now and I'm sure for manufacturing sake they want them out the way when they get on to batches of general production cars. Plus there's a wait list for Sigs right now, it makes no business sense to allow someone to defer their decision till later and maybe not take it at all.