Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022 Model 3 Performance trade up to 2023 Model S Plaid - handling differences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance, and test drove a Model S LR over the weekend on a whim.

My comparison:
  • Performance and handling
    • S is noticeably quicker off the line than the 3P.
    • S feels much stronger at 70 mph compared to the 3P, which really tapers off at that speed.
    • S handling is more floaty than the 3P, but still surprisingly good. I've driven pre-2017 S loaners in the past and the handling was so floaty that I completely ruled out getting a S until now.
    • Overall, the S feels like a rocket. The acceleration is powerful and punchy, but it gives the feeling of almost too much power that is barely reigned in, whereas the M3P feels more precise in its ability to handle the power.
    • I could not tell the difference at all between the different air suspension settings.
  • Interior
    • I've always been fine with the 3's single screen, but the S has a benefit that I didn't consider: by having a second screen, it frees up the main screen for more UI. I like being able to see both the map and cameras on the main screen, and my 3 can't do that.
    • I wish the MS interior felt roomier given the size increase over the 3. It's a bit larger, but not significantly so to me.
    • One thing that still bothers me with the MS is that my seating position puts my head close to the headliner/visor, so it feels a bit more cramped than the 3. I'm not a tall person, and this might be a seat adjustment thing.
Overall I was very surprised by the Model S given the bad experiences I've had with loaners that rattled all over the place and felt like they were falling apart. I wasn't considering an S before, but now it'll likely be the replacement for my M3P.

I have a 2018 Model 3 Performance, and test drove a Model S LR over the weekend on a whim.

My comparison:
  • Performance and handling
    • S is noticeably quicker off the line than the 3P.
    • S feels much stronger at 70 mph compared to the 3P, which really tapers off at that speed.
    • S handling is more floaty than the 3P, but still surprisingly good. I've driven pre-2017 S loaners in the past and the handling was so floaty that I completely ruled out getting a S until now.
    • Overall, the S feels like a rocket. The acceleration is powerful and punchy, but it gives the feeling of almost too much power that is barely reigned in, whereas the M3P feels more precise in its ability to handle the power.
    • I could not tell the difference at all between the different air suspension settings.
  • Interior
    • I've always been fine with the 3's single screen, but the S has a benefit that I didn't consider: by having a second screen, it frees up the main screen for more UI. I like being able to see both the map and cameras on the main screen, and my 3 can't do that.
    • I wish the MS interior felt roomier given the size increase over the 3. It's a bit larger, but not significantly so to me.
    • One thing that still bothers me with the MS is that my seating position puts my head close to the headliner/visor, so it feels a bit more cramped than the 3. I'm not a tall person, and this might be a seat adjustment thing.
Overall I was very surprised by the Model S given the bad experiences I've had with loaners that rattled all over the place and felt like they were falling apart. I wasn't considering an S before, but now it'll likely be the replacement for my M3P.
When I drove the S and the S Plaid, I put the suspension on stiffest and lowest. The M3P was still stiffer and quicker to respond to the wheel due to the faster steering ratio and lower sidewalls and of course 700 fewer pounds and shorter wheelbase. But according to the road tests, the S does pull more g's and goes faster in the slalom, much to my surprise, because it doesn't feel it in the seat of the pants feel.

I am waiting on a value from CarShop to see what it will cost me to sell it to pay off the loan. But if I hold on to it, after the highland refresh with 60,000 miles at 2 years old it might be a bigger hit than selling it now before the refresh (in the US) and with 30,000 miles.

Whatever happens, I'll let you know here. It's a tough call, but that Plaid acceleration is just unreal.

1694455343301.jpeg

1694455400549.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: Predation
Smaller is better for the track. Lighter with more sidewall for better contact with the road. 18” would be ideal but won’t fit over the brakes. Many road race cars use 18’s.
I’d think lower profile would be better steering response? Isn’t that why all the street performance packs have larger wheels? School me. I don’t track other than drag strip.

Do a search for best wheel size for road racing and you'll get plenty of schooling, like this:

Interesting read. Since I will not likely road race it often, Would the optional 21's give me better steering response, closer to the Model 3 Performance go kart like response? (assuming equal tire types on both wheels)

I know no one can know, but now it seems that the Model S and X may be discontinued, at least it seems to be going around online. And of course, no one can know, but what is the opinion here? It would suck to take a loss on my 3 and then in 5-6 years or whenever I go to sell the S that it too tanks in value since it was discontinued. Thoughts?

Interesting read. Since I will not likely road race it often, Would the optional 21's give me better steering response, closer to the Model 3 Performance go kart like response? (assuming equal tire types on both wheels)

I know no one can know, but now it seems that the Model S and X may be discontinued, at least it seems to be going around online. And of course, no one can know, but what is the opinion here? It would suck to take a loss on my 3 and then in 5-6 years or whenever I go to sell the S that it too tanks in value since it was discontinued. Thoughts?

The Model S already tanks in value without needing to be discontinued. And 10 years from now once the world catches on that all these EV's have $20K batteries that wear out with time, not just miles, you won't be able to get anything for your used EV if you haven't put in a brand new replacement battery before the sale.

The Model S already tanks in value without needing to be discontinued. And 10 years from now once the world catches on that all these EV's have $20K batteries that wear out with time, not just miles, you won't be able to get anything for your used EV if you haven't put in a brand new replacement battery before the sale.
If my Plaid is still running in 10 years, it will have cost me about 10k a year for depreciation. Maybe a bit more because of the track pack brakes. I really can't think of another car that really hits the high points that matter for me 99% of the time. Unless something catastrophic happens, my battery pack could realistically be in good shape even 10 years out, especially with my charging habits.

I really can't ask for more performance than it gives for daily street use. Even if my batteries degrade about 10-12%, I'll still likely have a mid 9 second car that should easily get to 60 mph in the low 2 to mid 2's. I can realistically say if they come out with something faster, I really don't need it. I doubt it will be that much faster than the current Plaid without something that doesn't rely on the traction of tires for acceleration.
Good chance it will have more power that can start to make a difference from 80+ mph but I am not that often in range accelerating hard on the street. So really not much benefit for me. I just look at the Sapphire and think, meh, I don't really care that much about its numbers. There will always be something quicker and I've found under 3 seconds to 60 and less than 5 to 100 and I am a pretty happy driver. I'll appreciate the improvements of cars but it won't make me run out and buy one.

I also think at some point the gov't will step in and put a stop to the fun. I think we might be very close to that now. Tesla could easily send out an update and limit all the cars to 85 mph and some predetermined rate the safety nannies think is safe for the road. Wealth doesn't equate with wisdom and that can translate into people doing a lot of stupid things on the street. Do them often enough and it attracts the attention of Big Brother. So while I like to drive fast, I pretty carefully choose where I let the Plaid stretch its legs.

As long as batteries are not failing completely, degradation is not a big problem. Model S has a huge range and even if shrinks twice in 10 years it still will be enough for many people who are able to charge their cars at home every night. For example, I drive about 30k miles a year, but almost never more than 200mi per day.

If my Plaid is still running in 10 years, it will have cost me about 10k a year for depreciation. Maybe a bit more because of the track pack brakes. I really can't think of another car that really hits the high points that matter for me 99% of the time. Unless something catastrophic happens, my battery pack could realistically be in good shape even 10 years out, especially with my charging habits.

I really can't ask for more performance than it gives for daily street use. Even if my batteries degrade about 10-12%, I'll still likely have a mid 9 second car that should easily get to 60 mph in the low 2 to mid 2's. I can realistically say if they come out with something faster, I really don't need it. I doubt it will be that much faster than the current Plaid without something that doesn't rely on the traction of tires for acceleration.
Good chance it will have more power that can start to make a difference from 80+ mph but I am not that often in range accelerating hard on the street. So really not much benefit for me. I just look at the Sapphire and think, meh, I don't really care that much about its numbers. There will always be something quicker and I've found under 3 seconds to 60 and less than 5 to 100 and I am a pretty happy driver. I'll appreciate the improvements of cars but it won't make me run out and buy one.

I also think at some point the gov't will step in and put a stop to the fun. I think we might be very close to that now. Tesla could easily send out an update and limit all the cars to 85 mph and some predetermined rate the safety nannies think is safe for the road. Wealth doesn't equate with wisdom and that can translate into people doing a lot of stupid things on the street. Do them often enough and it attracts the attention of Big Brother. So while I like to drive fast, I pretty carefully choose where I let the Plaid stretch its legs.

I am not talking about whether the depreciation is worth it or not, I am just saying it's there.

Whether you spent $150K or $69,420 for your Model S, they are all leveling off around the $25K range in about 7-8 years. Like I said, when the world realizes that the life expectancy for these batteries is close to 10 years, and maybe if you're lucky up to 15 years, regardless of miles and charging habits (it's just a chemistry thing you can't stop) and you consider the average age of cars on the road today is 12 years, then those $25K used EV's don't look so good if they are close to needing a $20K battery. It's all playing out now with the early Model S.

I am not talking about whether the depreciation is worth it or not, I am just saying it's there.

Whether you spent $150K or $69,420 for your Model S, they are all leveling off around the $25K range in about 7-8 years. Like I said, when the world realizes that the life expectancy for these batteries is close to 10 years and maybe up to 15 years regardless of miles and charge habits (it's just a chemistry thing you can't stop) and the average age of cars on the road today is 12 years, then those $25K used EV's don't look so good if they are close to needing a $20K battery. It's all happening now with the early Model S's.
If the rest of the car is still good, I'll drop the money for a new pack. By then the aftermarket may have gotten more creative and a pack replacement might cost less by then. Maybe I'll just rip out the back and drop a V8 drivetrain in it. :cool:

Reactions: Lindenwood