Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happened to the major UI revamp Elon referred to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When 7.0 came out, Elon referred to a major UI update which many of us thought was 7.1. I've seen nothing about this recently and was wondering if anyone had heard anything. Also Elon eluded to mirroring of smart phones and there has been radio silence on this as well. Getting ansy for something new I guess ;)

Eric

When 7.0 came out, Elon referred to a major UI update which many of us thought was 7.1. I've seen nothing about this recently and was wondering if anyone had heard anything. Also Elon eluded to mirroring of smart phones and there has been radio silence on this as well. Getting ansy for something new I guess ;)

Eric
Haven't you realized by now that Elon is all talk?

The UI update already happened. The car appearing on the instrument cluster (and for those with autopilot, the viewable lanes and other cars) the new energy graph, etc--that was all the new UI he was talking about.

That happened in 7.0. Didn't he say a major revamp was coming after 7.0 has been released for some time already?

Or was he just referring to the 7.0 rollout?

That is excessively critical and factually inaccurate. The goals Elon sets are achieved but often in a longer timeframe than he targets, and he has admitted that many times.

I do agree that the next major release after V7 has not yet occurred.

Maybe v8 of the Tesla firmware will be as big a hit as Windows 7 --> 8? ;)

And then they can go straight to 10...

That happened in 7.0. Didn't he say a major revamp was coming after 7.0 has been released for some time already?

Not to my knowledge. I thought it was all about the new graph, the new darker look, removal of the useful info from the climate control button, clock/odometer changes, etc.

I hadn't heard of anything else that was supposed to be happening after all of that.

Yes he did. I distinctly remember his announcement because I was (and to a certain extent remain) less than satisfied with the v7 UI.

Yeah, but it has happened a few times now that Elon promised that "something is coming" where everybody on TMC already knew about it for eons, and we get confused by that statement and assume he meant something else in addition to that was coming.

The original Supercharger announcement comes to mind.

So I was just wondering if it was one of these cases.

I seem to recall that about 3.5 years ago, Elon said the vampire drain would be reduced in the next update and then extinguished in a follow-on release. Hasn't happened and still have 50W vampire that results in the 12 V battery failing every year or so.

My battery's going on 2 years now, and still no issues. Not to mention that I also have a dashcam connected that draws from it continuously, 24 hours a day. And vampire drain is dramatically less than it used to be (I see about 3-4 miles a day now). In my view that's not a valid example of him breaking his word.

Not only did he say it was coming in the first 7.1 update but he solicited feedback on Twitter. Everyone was excited, the talk around here was "certainly they will fix Navigation", "Media Player will finally be addressed", "Trip Planner will mature and come out of beta and be useful" among many, many other things. None of that happened in favor of the next shiny thing. Very disappointing. Having said that I'm still hoping we get surprised and all things broken will get fixed soon. :fingers crossed:

This "all talk" notion is ridiculous. My car drives itself on the highway! It didn't do that when I got it! Elon talked, and then he delivered. Yes, he delivered rather late, but he delivered.

Yeah, not everything he says comes to pass. The old promise of an SDK for third-party apps looks like it's dead. Maybe the UI revamp is going to be another example, we'll see. But "all talk" is a crazy thing to say.

Reactions: DoubleE
That is excessively critical and factually inaccurate. The goals Elon sets are achieved but often in a longer timeframe than he targets, and he has admitted that many times.

I do agree that the next major release after V7 has not yet occurred.
Try not to take it personally, you're not Elon. :) Factually inaccurate? You are certainly reading far too much into my statement, as no facts were actually presented. :p

The big post-7.0 UI changes did take place... Tesla moved the temperature or clock or something. I'm shocked Elon didn't hold a press conference about it. Maybe he could have called it "End of Time Anxiety" or something like that. It certainly deserved a press release.

I suppose we could credit Elon with having invented the emoticar.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: deonb