Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do we want to know from the first person to get AP2.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you try to take a picture with the indicator light on?

Here you go!

IMG_7605.JPG IMG_7641.JPG IMG_7644.JPG

Reactions: Ulmo and J1mbo
@timdorr would you please be so kind as to post some information concerning the new AP2.0 supercomputer?

I bet the nvidia-board is concealed behind some panel or carpet, and I guess it's probably located in the dash somewhere. My best guess is that it's stored above or in near connection to the glove compartment (passenger side). This is where the nvidia-board is supposed to be on the X, anyway (according to rumours). Maybe you could post some photos of the glove compartment? (If I'm right, it might be smaller than the non-AP2.0 cars).

I also really would like to see a more in depth / longer video of the new AP2.0-harware. So far, I have only seen a short video done by someone at a parking lot. Some good video shots of the entire AP2.0-package (front, sides, rear and inside) would be really, really nice.

Also: Can you comment on the question if the front seat head rests are new on AP2.0 cars? Some official Tesla-images leads me to think so, but I haven't really seen them in close detail. I think maybe the head rests are adjustable?

Thanks a bunch!

Ain't no upgrade to the big screen, bro' :)

Elon's kind of confirmed this in his press speech following the reveal: They're completely separate systems. The touchscreen doesn't rely on the nvidia-system, and vice versa. In other words, a hacker shouldn't be able to attack the steering controls via the MCU (which, lets be honest, is hackable).

I might of course be wrong. But I've got a feeling that we'll see some pretty enormous upgrade to the infotainment system closer to the Model 3 reveal

Ain't no upgrade to the big screen, bro' :)

Elon's kind of confirmed this in his press speech following the reveal: They're completely separate systems. The touchscreen doesn't rely on the nvidia-system, and vice versa. In other words, a hacker shouldn't be able to attack the steering controls via the MCU (which, lets be honest, is hackable).

I might of course be wrong. But I've got a feeling that we'll see some pretty enormous upgrade to the infotainment system closer to the Model 3 reveal

Let's just confirm this since I believe we can test it to see if there has been an upgrade since the 2013 Model S.

They are completely separate systems, but the fleet learning of the AP 2.0 requires a signifiant amount of logging. The system responsible for communicating to the mothership is the Center console. Can the old Tegra3 really pull that off?

My prediction is an NVidia TK1/TX1 is now in there, but that prediction is based on ZERO evidence.

What kinds of things do we want from whomever gets AP 2.0 first.
I would love to know what happens if one or two cameras get covered. I know they are placed in locations to try and prevent this and that they are heated to keep from getting covered with snow/ice but would be very interested to know what warnings are received and what functionality is lost if a camera or two gets covered with snow or mud or masking tape (hint, hint).

Good point about the logging.

However, what's sent to the mothership probably has more to do with bandwidth than CPU power or memory.

Would sure be great if tesla's sneaked some more muscle into the old touchscreen

It needs to be able to grab the data from various systems, and it needs to buffer it till it has a chance to send it. Now they could likely do a lot of the logging of the AP separately where they keep the data on the AP computer.

They can probably get away with using the existing Center Console SOC (the combination CPU/GPU plus some other stuff for the backup camera) if they didn't need to do any other enhancement. But, I would argue that there are two things that desperately need to be updated.

1.) Navigation - I fail to see how they can make the required navigation upgrades for a fully self-driving car without updating the Infotainment center computer. They need detailed offline maps, and they need to integrate weather/traffic/etc all into one. The current nav system simply won't work for full self driving.

2.) Camera Display - The Model S/X is in a class of a car where the customer expects to be able to see the camera image data. Is it really acceptable to continue to not have a 360 degree camera display on the Center Console? Sure one can argue that the car is for self-driving, but we're going to do manual driving for the foreseeable future. The old center console display was simply not capable of this. The only thing it shows is the rear camera, and the SOC has a dedicated input for this.