Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I getting with Plaid vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you own a Tesla or are you here to *sugar* post? This thread has nothing to do with ICE vehicles.
Yes I ive owned four tesla vehicles and looking to buy a model X (currently have a MYP). Dont be a stuck up tesla owner, you give others a bad name. This person said they wish there was an electric minivan and there isnt. There is no battery vehicle on the market to replace a minivan. Sienna is the best choice IMO. Weve owned three different minivans so I have the experience with most of them.

If I had a choice with kids I would take a sienna over any electric vehicle on the market. Especially young kids. No need to stop every 250 miles to charge. Sure lets take 2x as long on a road trip to charge plus you get less room and less functionality. Thumb down all you want, I know facts can hurt sensitive feelings.

To continue the thread derailing…. 4x Tesla owner, 2x Toyota Sienna, 1x Toyota Previa owner here…

Wish Tesla would make a van. In Plaid trim of course. I’d be the first in line for one. Yes, I know the range wouldn’t be great but my kids would appreciate the charging stops so that they can puke their guts out outside at each stop. :cool:👍

-Paul

Yes I ive owned four tesla vehicles and looking to buy a model X (currently have a MYP). Dont be a stuck up tesla owner, you give others a bad name. This person said they wish there was an electric minivan and there isnt. There is no battery vehicle on the market to replace a minivan. Sienna is the best choice IMO. Weve owned three different minivans so I have the experience with most of them.

If I had a choice with kids I would take a sienna over any electric vehicle on the market. Especially young kids. No need to stop every 250 miles to charge. Sure let’s take 2x as long on a road trip to charge plus you get less room and less functionality. Thumb down all you want, I know facts can hurt sensitive feelings.
Haha 2x as long. It’s literally 10-20 min max every few hours. Part of the fun in road tripping in a Tesla is stopping at super chargers and exploring the area. Especially with kids. Not to mention having to stop regardless for food, pee breaks, etc. Chargers are strategically placed so you can easily plan around it.

If I had a choice with kids I would take a sienna over any electric vehicle on the market. Especially young kids. No need to stop every 250 miles to charge. Sure lets take 2x as long on a road trip to charge plus you get less room and less functionality. Thumb down all you want, I know facts can hurt sensitive feelings.
So that’s not how charging works when traveling. You drive the car down, charge for 15 minutes or so, then get back on the road. I’ve put almost 50k miles on my Y in under 2 years driving all over the midwestern US for travel sports and work. At worst it adds 20% more time to a trip, not twice as long.

So that’s not how charging works when traveling. You drive the car down, charge for 15 minutes or so, then get back on the road. I’ve put almost 50k miles on my Y in under 2 years driving all over the midwestern US for travel sports and work. At worst it adds 20% more time to a trip, not twice as long.
pumping gas vs pumping electrons is a different mindset.

I got my first ever full EV this past April 19 and did my first ever long range this past week, FL to NY.

It’s just …. different.

I knew it would be different. I didn’t know in what way but simply kept an open mind.

Instead of stopping for pee breaks at the next random gas station I simply planned my stops around the Tesla gas station, ie a supercharger.

It worked out the same timewise between pee breaks lol.

-

Reactions: PrGrPa
pumping gas vs pumping electrons is a different mindset.

I got my first ever full EV this past April 19 and did my first ever long range this past week, FL to NY.

It’s just …. different.

I knew it would be different. I didn’t know in what way but simply kept an open mind.

Instead of stopping for pee breaks at the next random gas station I simply planned my stops around the Tesla gas station, ie a supercharger.

It worked out the same timewise between pee breaks lol.

-
Exactly. I went from Indianapolis to Birmingham and Memphis this past season and it’s just knowing when to chill and let the car do its thing. I’ve never been the type of drive to drive straight through anyplace far, I’ll stop every 2 hours anyways so might as well charge a bit. We’ve seen some cool places while stopped to charge, and only one time was stressful (the next charger was closed so we had to charge longer than anticipated).

As a former Sienna owner myself, I agree it's hard to beat a minivan for practicality, especially with young kids. But the MXP is a different beast altogether and I couldn't be happier with its brutal performance. ;-)

Also FWIW, I think the Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid tops the Sienna on efficiency at 82 MPGe (assuming you plug it in).

Reactions: msm859

You claim to have owned 4 Tesla's? NO ONE who has actually owned a Tesla would claim it takes 2x as long on a road trip. First, how many miles are you driving in a day - with a car full of kids? A 500 mile 1 way road trip would require 2 - 3 stops. 1-2 bathroom breaks and 1 lunch stop. "Added" time for said trip maybe zero.

You claim to have owned 4 Tesla's? NO ONE who has actually owned a Tesla would claim it takes 2x as long on a road trip. First, how many miles are you driving in a day - with a car full of kids? A 500 mile 1 way road trip would require 2 - 3 stops. 1-2 bathroom breaks and 1 lunch stop. "Added" time for said trip maybe zero.
This isn't reality for most. Driving an EV adds about an hour per every 4 hours on a trip.

Which is fine and you can plan, but typically I don't stop on a 500+ mile trip, even with kids except to grab fast food and quick bathroom breaks (typically accomplished in the same stop) and an additional bathroom stop. I'm not stopping for 25 min each time like I need to do with an EV.

I've gotten used to it, but it's absolutely not "zero" added time for most travelers.

This isn't reality for most. Driving an EV adds about an hour per every 4 hours on a trip.

Which is fine and you can plan, but typically I don't stop on a 500+ mile trip, even with kids except to grab fast food and quick bathroom breaks (typically accomplished in the same stop) and an additional bathroom stop. I'm not stopping for 25 min each time like I need to do with an EV.

I've gotten used to it, but it's absolutely not "zero" added time for most travelers.
You must not be charging at super chargers if you're wasting an hour charging each time.

Why is this person getting such a hard time for saying, as a parent with young kids, they prefer a minivan for road trips?
You want to argue with them about how they raise their kids, or where they stop for food, or whatever else too?

Do you all not understand that taking a road trip with kids is infinitely different than 2 DINK’s driving to the beach? When you stop there’s bathroom breaks, there’s I’m hungry breaks, there’s kids fighting breaks, on and on. NO STOP is a simple “plug in and charge for a few minutes!” stop.

What don’t you get that, for a parent with kids, a minivan is an attractive road trip vehicle…or just vehicle period? Can you not empathize with this person? You’re really gonna sit here and debate how many minutes it takes to charge and why they should have an EV? I’m as much of a TSLA fan as the next person but come on man let people live.

Hilarious 😂

I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot as well since I am looking at getting a model x.
I’m basically comparing the 5 seat ‘tax edition’ to the plaid. It costs about 1,000 dollars to get carbon fiber overlays to mimic the plaid. I could care less about the 6 seat config, I’d almost rather have the 5 for more flexibility in folding down the middle row. Other than that the main difference is going to be the 400ish hp advantage for the plaid. I do love fast cars but I don’t know if the extra hp is really worth the extra 25k. Probably not is what my cheap side is telling me.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking about this topic a lot as well since I am looking at getting a model x.
I’m basically comparing the 5 seat ‘tax edition’ to the plaid. It costs about 1,000 dollars to get carbon fiber overlays to mimic the plaid. Other than that the main difference is going to be the 400ish hp advantage for the plaid. I do love fast cars but I don’t know if the extra hp is really worth the extra 25k. Probably not is what my cheap side is telling me.
The interior seating is different as well. 6 seat vs. 5 seats.