Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I getting with Plaid vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen this question before, but not the answer I'd like to confirm. I know the Plaid is faster, is Tri-Motor, has slightly less range, etc.

We were already considering the LR with 6 seats. For 15,000 more we get Tri-Motor and everything else. I've heard however that along with the extra motor it gives you Tri-Zone climate control. Is this true for only the plaid or is it on the LR as well?

~9 miles range difference.

And if one is getting the 6 seats configuration then the $ difference is $8.5K.

1714234056053.jpeg

1714234183210.png

1714234359927.png

On LR,

1714234044996.png

1714234136328.png

Plaid interior comes with

1714234266450.png

LR comes with the (various) wood Decor.

I also just realized... we have a Y, we want at least 6 seats, so to add on that "extra" seat is as follows after trade in of the Y (CAD$):

Model X Plaid: 115k
Volvo EX90 Ultra: 85k
Kia EV9 GT AWD Land: 25k

I maybe should just should choose a 2018+ X and be done with it... I can afford any of those, but for 2 extra seats (middle in Y is kind of useless)... Why can't we have good electric minivans ><

Tesla did say over the phone that there's an extra heatpump on the plaid, but maybe they don't know.

I an eagerly awaiting confirmation of the sport seats in the X.
Other than Elon loosely referring to “the x and s plaid are great” with a picture of the new seats, we have nothing to go on here to tell us that the X will in fact get the sport seats.

I've seen this question before, but not the answer I'd like to confirm. I know the Plaid is faster, is Tri-Motor, has slightly less range, etc.

We were already considering the LR with 6 seats. For 15,000 more we get Tri-Motor and everything else. I've heard however that along with the extra motor it gives you Tri-Zone climate control. Is this true for only the plaid or is it on the LR as well?
I would just go used man for LR or Plaid. Lightly used under 20k miles will be around mid 70s and lightly used LR will be around mid 60s. I'm seeing some in the lower 60s and high 50s but that's around 50k miles. That's a lot for a Long range in 2 years IMO

Last edited:
Higher insurance, horrible camber, high tire wear, horrible half shafts and headaches

View attachment 1042387
Insurance is generally same between LR and Plaid. Front half shafts and suspension (including camber) are the same between LR and Plaid.

I will admit the acceleration can give some people a headache if they’re not used to fast cars

Main disadvantage imo in the case of the X is you’re forced to get a 6 seater. But if you were going to get that anyway..

I also just realized... we have a Y, we want at least 6 seats, so to add on that "extra" seat is as follows after trade in of the Y (CAD$):

Model X Plaid: 115k
Volvo EX90 Ultra: 85k
Kia EV9 GT AWD Land: 25k

I maybe should just should choose a 2018+ X and be done with it... I can afford any of those, but for 2 extra seats (middle in Y is kind of useless)... Why can't we have good electric minivans ><

Tesla did say over the phone that there's an extra heatpump on the plaid, but maybe they don't know.
My wife drives a Sienna, 36mpg and 600 miles per tank. With kids I would take that over anything electric right now and they are around $50k with Toyota reliability.