Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What am I getting with Plaid vs Long Range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking into the X because my wife had twins and we now have 3 children total and the Model 3 will no longer do. My question is what exactly does a minivan have that the X does not? When we looked at it I thought it really was a minivan in disguise? Low seats, big side doors, entertainment system, etc... Why should I get a minivan besides the charging on long trips issue?

I'm interested in this thread because I'm looking into the X because my wife had twins and we now have 3 children total and the Model 3 will no longer do. My question is what exactly does a minivan have that the X does not? When we looked at it I thought it really was a minivan in disguise? Low seats, big side doors, entertainment system, etc... Why should I get a minivan besides the charging on long trips issue?
I have a 6 seat MXP and it is very close to a minivan. I went to it from a Roadster for exactly that reason - needed to be able to haul kids to all of their activities. FWDs are huge and Captains chairs that slide forward to access the 3rd row makes it very minivan like. Car seats fit great in Captains chairs and with the height you aren't breaking your back getting them in and out. Entertainment system is meh but for me the kids typically want to watch/do different things so iPads are more useful anyway (although them love challenging each other on the 2048 game). I do wish that Tesla would include Wi-Fi access (which Elon promised to my face back in 2012) but using the hotspot on my phone works ok.

Minivans will typically seat 3 across the back (for 7 total seats) and can be more versatile as far as removing and/or stowing seats but for hauling people it's basically the same.

Also I really don't get the aversion to stopping on a road trip. I find that my life is much better if I stop every 2 hours and let the kids run around for a bit. It really cuts down on the fights IMO.

Reactions: Mdubz
I have a 6 seat MXP and it is very close to a minivan. I went to it from a Roadster for exactly that reason - needed to be able to haul kids to all of their activities. FWDs are huge and Captains chairs that slide forward to access the 3rd row makes it very minivan like. Car seats fit great in Captains chairs and with the height you aren't breaking your back getting them in and out. Entertainment system is meh but for me the kids typically want to watch/do different things so iPads are more useful anyway (although them love challenging each other on the 2048 game). I do wish that Tesla would include Wi-Fi access (which Elon promised to my face back in 2012) but using the hotspot on my phone works ok.

Minivans will typically seat 3 across the back (for 7 total seats) and can be more versatile as far as removing and/or stowing seats but for hauling people it's basically the same.

Also I really don't get the aversion to stopping on a road trip. I find that my life is much better if I stop every 2 hours and let the kids run around for a bit. It really cuts down on the fights IMO.
I agree with your last statement. I just feel like it shouldn't be hidden. People who say the trips are the same exact time are not correct. We've adapted and it's better, but it's not apples to apples.

Reactions: strider