Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to go off topic, but I was hoping an Alberta owner could respond. I'm driving to Edmonton from Vancouver April 2nd (hopefully fully Supercharged!) and need to decide between keeping my winter tires on or switching back to my Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I had planned to stick with the winters , but it seems that they may not be needed. The route is clear in BC and has been for some time. My concern would be warm weather causing significant tread wear. Obviously there could still be a dramatic change in weather along that route, but a decision must be made! :)

I'm making that same trip leaving tomorrow and am leaving my winters on. For one the weather/road conditions in between Canmore & Hope is unpredictable at best, and for another the weather won't be warm enough to cause significantly increased wear. By April though the odds of a snowstorm in the Rogers or on the Coquihalla will be less so I'd probably switch out to the summer tires.

As far as temperature & winter tire wear goes, I had to drive on my winters all through last summer because of a protracted warranty issue and I put maybe 10,000km on my Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2s, there was no noticeable increased wear although I did avoid road trips once it got above 20°C. Winter tires don't explode into chunks if it gets above 10°, if you decide to leave the winters on for the 2000km round trip you'll be fine.

Sorry to go off topic, but I was hoping an Alberta owner could respond. I'm driving to Edmonton from Vancouver April 2nd (hopefully fully Supercharged!) and need to decide between keeping my winter tires on or switching back to my Michelin Primacy MXM4s. I had planned to stick with the winters , but it seems that they may not be needed. The route is clear in BC and has been for some time. My concern would be warm weather causing significant tread wear. Obviously there could still be a dramatic change in weather along that route, but a decision must be made! :)

Winter tires are still required until March 30. Remember its temperature of 7°C or lower that's important not just clear roads. And you're still likely to face a snow storm without warning this time of year. Most of your trip will be in that cooler range so very little extra wear on them. Better to be safe than sorry for sure!

I'm in the midst of a drive from Vancouver to Calgary (just eating in Golden). I still have my winters on but it was pretty close to the level where summers would have done (I haven't seen a snow flake so far); however, its still that time of year where anything can happen and as others have said the temperature has been sub 10C in a few places (though the temperatures have also been as high as 15).
On balance I think you need to keep the winters for now.

Curse those speedy superchargers)

- - - Updated - - -

I too am interested:

Canmore Arts Centre charger?

I just phone Tesla Service in Vancouver, they said that construction has been complete for some time but they're still waiting on the hydro company to do the final hookup. They had no ETA, they don't know what the delay is. :(
I called the hotel (who are very helpful) but they stood by an earlier statement about a "licensing issue". She was calling around to find out more but hasn't called so far. I've also asked a Canmore contractor who seems to know the electrical contractor but he hasn't found anything out yet either. I was thinking of dropping by on my way home but it will probably be dark and doesn't sound like anything has happened to the last pictures.

- - - Updated - - -

Completely agree with this. Just the opening of the Red Deer supercharger as well as the mere mention of a possible Calgary Service Centre was enough to get myself and now a few of my friends looking closer at Tesla. The AWD really helped to tip the decision as well. Now.... if only they'd get the Canmore Supercharger operational before the spring/summer driving season that would be excellent..... Anyone know some insider info about this thing?
On the subject of the Calgary Service Center (a little of topic I know) I think eventually (and probably very soon) Tesla will have to put in a Calgary Service Center as it will be cheaper to do that than to continue to operate the current way. shipping cars to and from Vancouver is expensive. Flying out (or driving out) Rangers is expensive. Renting "luxury cars" (or Enterprise's version of luxury) is presumably more expensive than loaners over time, etc. etc. I think once the next wave of cars hits Calgary and Edmonton (and the rest of the region) the current model will become unworkable. I suspect they must be ramping this up as we speak. I think I heard there was at least one job posting for a Calgary service person though that doesn't necessarily mean they are going into a full service center.

On the subject of the Calgary Service Center (a little of topic I know) I think eventually (and probably very soon) Tesla will have to put in a Calgary Service Center as it will be cheaper to do that than to continue to operate the current way. shipping cars to and from Vancouver is expensive. Flying out (or driving out) Rangers is expensive. Renting "luxury cars" (or Enterprise's version of luxury) is presumably more expensive than loaners over time, etc. etc. I think once the next wave of cars hits Calgary and Edmonton (and the rest of the region) the current model will become unworkable. I suspect they must be ramping this up as we speak. I think I heard there was at least one job posting for a Calgary service person though that doesn't necessarily mean they are going into a full service center.

Perhaps in the interim they will just hire a couple people and rent a local shop to give them access to some of the equipment they need (storage facilities, hydraulic lifts, etc). This would probably satisfy many of their needs until the permanent service center is up and running.

*huh* I didn't actually know that. I went to school in Calgary a long time ago and went skiing many times in BC with my typical-student-econocar with all-seasons... :eek: For other non-BC-ians who are equally unaware:

Winter Tires and Chains - On the Road
Winter Tire and Chain-up Routes - Winter Tires and Chains

Typical over legislation. The Michelin Primacy MXM4s are labelled "M+S", so they qualify as winter tires under this legislation, which they most definitely are not.

It was 16C in Kelowna yesterday and forecast to hit 18C today. If I were planning on travelling to Vancouver within the current weather window, I'd be comfortable using the MXM4s if I could time my travel in daylight. I have no plans to travel out of the valley in the next couple of weeks, so I've changed over from my x-ice 3s. If plans and the weather change, I can change back in less than an hour, or take the van, which will keep it's winters on for a few more weeks.

My first Supercharging

Hi
Just drove from Vancouver to Calgary after having my car repaired and got my first taste of supercharging. It might be a bit redundant but I thought I would post pictures here of each supercharger I visited along with any observations. In general - there is something exciting about watching the kilometers pile on at such an aggressive rate of speed. I haven't been paying enough attention to supercharging threads to really know how well these superchargers were performing but based on some charging pictures I saw yesterday from in2Oil I'm thinking these chargers might not have been as fast as they could be. Even so, I had to re-think my habits. Just can't do as many things during a stop I ended up adding an hour and a half to my journey but that was more about me spending time in Revelstoke and Golden (Tesla moments, swimming in Golden, Supper in Golden).

Hope
First stop was the Hope Supercharger. Seemed a bit desolate and the first 'family restaurant' I tried seemed to be closed down. Ultimately there were a few fast food restaurants near including Subway, and a pizza place. There was a hotel/pub across the road from the superchargers but I didn't have my bike leathers with me so I would have stood out. I didn't look up any other restaurants but presumably there are some.

Photo 2015-03-08, 14 09 41.jpg
Photo 2015-03-08, 14 10 22.jpg

Not much to see walking around town, some nice walking paths along the river though

Photo 2015-03-08, 14 50 49.jpg

Destination on the first day was Summerland B.C. For completeness - charging at my HPWC. Haven't put it on plugshare yet as there are some complexities about using it.

Photo 2015-03-09, 10 36 30.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Revelstoke
Day 2 of my trip I left Summerland with a full charge and drove to Revelstoke. This Supercharger still needs a bit of work, - a bit of paving and stall lines drawn. The parking lot was empty so I don't know if the pilons were working. The people in the Best Western were very helpful and friendly - I used the washroom there and if I had been hungry they had restaurant suggestions. There were a few fast food restaurants near and a gas station with snacks nearby.

Photo 2015-03-09, 15 32 39.jpg

- - - Updated - - -
Golden
The Golden supercharger being one of the most recently commissioned was the least ready. If the ground had been wet this would have been pretty messy. I imagine paving isn't too far away. Beautiful backdrop of kicking horse resort but the immediate area looks a bit shabby right now.

Photo 2015-03-09, 19 28 53.jpg

Photo 2015-03-09, 18 28 17.jpg

I used the travellodge pool - it is $8 per person, I don't know if there was a family rate. On the right you can see a small water slide.

Photo 2015-03-09, 18 05 44.jpg

I was suggested a restaurant called the Range. It was fine - good ribs! but was on the other side of the highway so either a long walk or a jump over the three foot concrete divider in the middle of the highway. the super charger is near a few other restaurants on the same side of the highway too. Travellodge gave me a 10% off coupon.

Last edited:
Hi
Just drove from Vancouver to Calgary after having my car repaired and got my first taste of supercharging. It might be a bit redundant but I thought I would post pictures here of each supercharger I visited along with any observations. In general - there is something exciting about watching the kilometers pile on at such an aggressive rate of speed. I haven't been paying enough attention to supercharging threads to really know how well these superchargers were performing but based on some charging pictures I saw yesterday from in2Oil I'm thinking these chargers might not have been as fast as they could be. Even so, I had to re-think my habits. Just can't do as many things during a stop I ended up adding an hour and a half to my journey but that was more about me spending time in Revelstoke and Golden (Tesla moments, swimming in Golden, Supper in Golden).
Great post and pics.
Hope
First stop was the Hope Supercharger. Seemed a bit desolate and the first 'family restaurant' I tried seemed to be closed down. Ultimately there were a few fast food restaurants near including Subway, and a pizza place. There was a hotel/pub across the road from the superchargers but I didn't have my bike leathers with me so I would have stood out. I didn't look up any other restaurants but presumably there are some.

Not much to see walking around town, some nice walking paths along the river though

Destination on the first day was Summerland B.C. For completeness - charging at my HPWC. Haven't put it on plugshare yet as there are some complexities about using it.
There is a place called Blue Moose Coffee House just about 1.5 blocks away at 322 Wallace St. Great food, coffee, and amazing Salmon Seafood Chowder! Oh my.. may have to go get some on Sunday now! :)
- - - Updated - - -
Day 2 of my trip I left Summerland with a full charge and drove to Revelstoke. This Supercharger still needs a bit of work, - a bit of paving and stall lines drawn. The parking lot was empty so I don't know if the pilons were working. The people in the Best Western were very helpful and friendly - I used the washroom there and if I had been hungry they had restaurant suggestions. There were a few fast food restaurants near and a gas station with snacks nearby.
Enjoy the rest of your trip and drive safely!

Hope

I like the Blue Moose across from the Sun Country 70 amp charger and a short walk from the new Superchargers. It's more of a cafe though but good food and the coffee is great.