Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Valleyview, AB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Supercharger construction has started at Valleyview, AB.

This is on the Paradise Inn site directly adjacent to the Petro-Canada on the West side of Highway 43.

Approximate address 3609 Highway Street, Valleyview, AB T0H 3N0

Photos courtesy of Marilyn Simonsmeier at Tesla Owners Club of Alberta facebook forum.
Valleyview.pngValleyview 1.jpgValleyview 2.jpg

Last edited:
The transformer is too big to be anything other than Tesla or Electrify Canada, and the latter is so unlikely as to be laughable. My money is on another 6 + 2 Flo, federal $ site.
Agreed. There are bollards each side of the conduit that seem to be inconsistent with a Tesla SC. Ood that PlugShare would list it as a 250kW TESLA SC although it may have been added by a hopeful Tesla PS user. There were no TESLA (or other) marked crates on site.

Kind of an unusual conduit layout for Superchargers. What say you @Mrbrock?
Yeah, the double bollard is odd but you never know with other countries and regulations.

The transformer is too big to be anything other than Tesla or Electrify Canada, and the latter is so unlikely as to be laughable. My money is on another 6 + 2 Flo, federal $ site.
Can you point to other 6 L3 + 2 L2 Flo sites? I checked their app in Canada and the best I could find was 2 L3 + 6 L2. I have not seen any Flo sites with more than 2 L3 chargers.

L2 would not require that large diameter conduit and there are more than 2. The bases are not standard Tesla and the conduits at the cabinet location do not look like Tesla either so I’d guess this wasn’t Tesla or is some totally different new way of doing it that we haven’t seen before.

Yeah, the double bollard is odd but you never know with other countries and regulations.

Can you point to other 6 L3 + 2 L2 Flo sites? I checked their app in Canada and the best I could find was 2 L3 + 6 L2. I have not seen any Flo sites with more than 2 L3 chargers.

L2 would not require that large diameter conduit and there are more than 2. The bases are not standard Tesla and the conduits at the cabinet location do not look like Tesla either so I’d guess this wasn’t Tesla or is some totally different new way of doing it that we haven’t seen before.
The Flo SmartDC that PB2000 is referring to is a 50 kW DC fast charger (L3 not L2) but these concrete footings are nowhere close to that size (large and square, not thin and rectangular) nor is the work area large enough for 8 charging stalls.

A recent example is Kindersley SK

However, this site DOES look like a V4 Supercharger.
The bollards look exactly like the V4 from here

Same bollards as the SE Calgary site, and two per stall instead of one like the Sparks v4 site.

I think we're missing something here. There looks to be black conduit sticking up in the background, which would be the feed from the transformer to the switchgear cabinet. The grey conduit might actually be two separate pads just foreshortened to appear as one.

I don't do that Facebook nonsense, but can someone inquire if the photographer would be kind enough to snap some more pictures of the conduit and where the backhoe is working (more stalls?).

The Flo SmartDC that PB2000 is referring to is a 50 kW DC fast charger (L3 not L2) but these concrete footings are nowhere close to that size (large and square, not thin and rectangular) nor is the work area large enough for 8 charging stalls.

A recent example is Kindersley SK

However, this site DOES look like a V4 Supercharger.
The bollards look exactly like the V4 from here
No, the Tesla bases are not as wide. And the V4 bases with bollards have Tesla parking signs on top. These do not. However, it does look exactly like the V3 site you linked to.
Supercharger - Kindersley, SK

Fingers crossed this IS Tesla.

For me, this is exciting as it leads directly to Dawson Creek, which then, by the miracle of extrapolating with two data points, heads right on to Alaska!

While it's great that Tesla is making its way north, the key gap, at least for summer driving right now seems to be Fort St John, BC to Watson Lake, YT. Plugshare says one opening soon in Montney, BC. That would leave 522 miles to Watson Lake, YT. From there there are CCS in Teslin, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Burwash Landing (if necessary, 24kW only), Beaver Creek, Tok, and you're pretty much home.

Reactions: otter and J569
Hmmmm. Just now finally starting coffee, so maybe that, but I’ve driven the road more than forty times and I’m going to have to look up “Montney”.
And the leap between Haines Jct and Beaver Creek does indeed absolutely mandate a charge in the Destruction Bay-Burwash Landing megalopolis🤣.

Fingers crossed this IS Tesla.

For me, this is exciting as it leads directly to Dawson Creek, which then, by the miracle of extrapolating with two data points, heads right on to Alaska!
I really hope that Alaska Hwy Superchargers are coming soon. It will remove one of the excuses we hear from EV skeptics (What if I want to drive to Alaska?) With other carmakers switching to NACS, the concern about unreliable charging for non-Tesla vehicles should soon fall by the wayside as well.

Ah: found it. Montney’s not on the AK Hwy - Rte. 97 - at all, but due north of Ft. StJ. just a little bit. That’s fine for exploring around greater FSJ but really doesn’t help Alaska to-ers or fro-ers.

And for a further edit: some of the oilfield camps along the AK Hwy are showing a “Montney” connection, even though they’re hard by Wonowon. Perhaps that’s the situation for a CCS charge site🤷🏻‍♂️.

Fun fact: Wonowon is not a native name. No one possibly could know why the original roadhouse 101 miles up from the start of the AKHwy gave it that name.🤣

Last edited:
While it's great that Tesla is making its way north, the key gap, at least for summer driving right now seems to be Fort St John, BC to Watson Lake, YT. Plugshare says one opening soon in Montney, BC. That would leave 522 miles to Watson Lake, YT. From there there are CCS in Teslin, Whitehorse, Haines Junction, Burwash Landing (if necessary, 24kW only), Beaver Creek, Tok, and you're pretty much home.
The CCS charger in Tok is 25kW and by appointment only (shared with the local school bus). Not nearly as available or reliable as the Flo chargers in the Yukon. We need better.

Ah: found it. Montney’s not on the AK Hwy - Rte. 97 - at all, but due north of Ft. StJ. just a little bit. That’s fine for exploring around greater FSJ but really doesn’t help Alaska to-ers or fro-ers.

And for a further edit: some of the oilfield camps along the AK Hwy are showing a “Montney” connection, even though they’re hard by Wonowon. Perhaps that’s the situation for a CCS charge site🤷🏻‍♂️.

Fun fact: Wonowon is not a native name. No one possibly could know why the original roadhouse 101 miles up from the start of the AKHwy gave it that name.🤣

The new chargers will be at Mile 80 Rest Stop on BC-97, which has a Montney address.