Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Elon fires the head of SuperChargers and much (all?) of the SuperCharger team - how will this affect new SCs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'know, you-all on this thread seem to be talking like the SC network is dead and gone. No new chargers, no new stalls, no new installs, etc., etc..

I'll grant you that, during the four-day interval from the Monday when the dismissals were announced to Friday morning, there was nothing new over at supercharge.info. In fact, during that interval installs and changes in the EU also stopped, although things were being installed in China at a great pace.

But since then, stuff has changed. Here's a snapshot:

View attachment 1045482

That's just the last three days. A significant portion of those are in the US. Superchargers going into planning, into construction, into service, and being repaired.

Admittedly supercharge.info isn't Official, as in Tesla, but it sure looks like Superchargers are being planned, constructed, and being installed.

There actually hasn't been even 1 permit pulled in north america since the 4/29 announcement

I'm not sure that's their main goal. I thought it was meant to be a selling point of buying a Tesla.
I awlays imagined the superchargers as loss leaders. Yea some of the busier locations may break even but most probably operate at a loss. However, that money is made up in vehicle sales. I know a key reason I own a Tesla right now instead of a different EV is supercharging. This is probably why charging non-Teslas costs a bit more/requires a subscription.

I awlays imagined the superchargers as loss leaders. Yea some of the busier locations may break even but most probably operate at a loss. However, that money is made up in vehicle sales. I know a key reason I own a Tesla right now instead of a different EV is supercharging. This is probably why charging non-Teslas costs a bit more/requires a subscription.
In the short term yes, but they are/were widely viewed as a core revenue stream as EV's gain market share.

In the short term yes, but they are/were widely viewed as a core revenue stream as EV's gain market share.
Not sure what you mean by "short term", it's been well over a decade since the SC started rolling out. If Tesla was going to make charging a key revenue stream, where are the 800v chargers, the space for trailers, and cables long enough to charge other EVs? I see SC for Tesla as nothing more than iMessage for Apple, a way to lock people into their walled garden. The only reason they opened up to other brands was regulatory pressure and that was a half measure.

I doubt we will see much more than current chargers being upgraded to V4. Short cables, no passthru space and a clunky user experience for non-Tesla owners. All with kwh prices that are way too low to make any real money.

ive thought about this too.. i wonder what the markup on power is.. assuming they can get a $0.25 markup per KWH and a charger costs $40,000 they would need ~9 charges / day for a year to get there money back or about 3200 average charge sessions

$0.25 * ~50KWH = $12.50 they make on each charge session

$40,000 / $12.50 = 3200 sessions

very rough math here

Your math is missing demand charges by utilities. It's not a universal, but here's an example with better than SWAG level numbers from my local co-op for my closest Supercharger:

Let's say my relatively sleepy local site gets 3 cars that all pull up in a group and start charging at the same time at V3 max of ~250kW. That makes for a 750kW peak power (ignoring 15 minute window averaging) drawn in a month * $17/kW = $12750 per month, each month. They're making $0.275/kWh markup on energy at today's rates. At ~50kWh per charge session (that's a total guess), that's ~944 sessions per site per month (~32/day) to break even on power/energy costs from that one 3/8 stalls in use peak event. Again, that's without contributing anything to capital, lease, or maintenance costs.

Or in other words, Superchargers pay off if they are slammed all day every day, or have very constant but low utilization (one car in one car out all day kind of thing). Sites that peak even once in a month and then die are certainly money losers, unless they have a battery based demand management system installed.

Last edited:
Reactions: gt2690b
Not sure what you mean by "short term", it's been well over a decade since the SC started rolling out. If Tesla was going to make charging a key revenue stream, where are the 800v chargers, the space for trailers, and cables long enough to charge other EVs? I see SC for Tesla as nothing more than iMessage for Apple, a way to lock people into their walled garden. The only reason they opened up to other brands was regulatory pressure and that was a half measure.

I doubt we will see much more than current chargers being upgraded to V4. Short cables, no passthru space and a clunky user experience for non-Tesla owners. All with kwh prices that are way too low to make any real money.
Tesla's SC network has evolved over the years with the first units typically not in gas stations, often in commercial spaces that had services. We used to love stopping in Ocala with a Panera Bread for food and Dick's for shopping while we charged. Even SAV charging limited Airport's units were good for a walk to clean bathrooms and getting out of the heat (my original X's AC was meh). As you know, many recent installations are now in gas stations with limited space for trailers, etc.

In any event, technology (120, 150, 250 and now 800) and need have evolved over the years and it's unfair to think that most of the units should have had 800V, room for trailers, etc. The walled garden no longer applies and I wonder if some day he will sell off the SC install base and as well no longer produce vehicles.

Your math is missing demand charges by utilities. It's not a universal, but here's an example with better than SWAG level numbers from my local co-op for my closest Supercharger:

Let's say my relatively sleepy local site gets 3 cars that all pull up in a group and start charging at the same time at V3 max of ~250kW. That makes for a 750kW peak power (ignoring 15 minute window averaging) drawn in a month * $17/kW = $12750 per month, each month. They're making $0.275/kWh markup on energy at today's rates. At ~50kWh per charge session (that's a total guess), that's ~944 sessions per site per month (~32/day) to break even on power/energy costs from that one 3/8 stalls in use peak event. Again, that's without contributing anything to capital, lease, or maintenance costs.

Or in other words, Superchargers pay off if they are slammed all day every day, or have very constant but low utilization (one car in one car out all day kind of thing). Sites that peak even once in a month and then die are certainly money losers, unless they have a battery based demand management system installed.
That's actually a lower break even utilization than I was estimating

Where did you get $17/kwh peak demand pricing

I mean this. It’s not complicated …investors view this piece of Tesla as a serious business.

Tesla Has Built a Charging Business to Be Taken Seriously​

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/news...harging-network-has-become-a-serious-business

In any event, technology (120, 150, 250 and now 800) and need have evolved over the years and it's unfair to think that most of the units should have had 800V, room for trailers, etc. The walled garden no longer applies and I wonder if some day he will sell off the SC install base and as well no longer produce vehicles.
There really isn't a technology issue here. 800v chargers, with longer cables, exist in real ife right now. That and at least 80% of V4 supercharger locations are big enough to have the charging stalls in a passthru configuration (for trailers and non-Teslas). The CT was announced in 2019, they had five years to start rolling 800v chargers out, they didn't. They knew years ago they were going to be forced to open up to other OEMs but the cable is still too short to allow them to charge without taking two stalls. Many V4 chargers are still far from bathrooms, have no window wash, the wifi often doesn't work, etc...

Tesla still has the best charging experience, but the experience is worse now in 2024, at least for Model S/X owners, than it was in 2017/18 before the M3/MY. Lines in/around cities can be an hour+ these days. I can only imagine roadtripping a CT and it taking 60-90min to charge to 80%, this isn't to mention dropping a trailer and re-attaching it every time...

Reactions: MD70
Elon has reversed course and Tesla is now apparently re-hiring some of the people that were just fired:

Tesla Inc. has begun hiring back some of the almost 500 members of its Supercharging team that Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk dismissed late last month.

Chief among the personnel who have returned is Max de Zegher, the director of charging for North America, according to people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. De Zegher was one of the top managers after Rebecca Tinucci, the senior director Musk fired late last month along with virtually everyone else in the charging group.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
Who in their right mind would take him up on that offer? He's probably going to overdose on ketamine and fire them again in a few months.
Elon worship is real - if anything the fired workers will come back, appologize to Elon and work harder. They've felt the cold of losing their savior's favor. When the stakes is saving the world, no bad act is unforgivable.

This is a pretty common tactic used by abusive people to ensure loyalty.