Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Western Canada Superchargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm in North Vancouver and they've listed two future supercharger locations on the north shore of Vancouver for .. a long time..(?) with no movement. I've seen them listed in the "superchargers" iOS app.

ITWKn9D

Planned Superchargers on north shore Vancouver - Imgur.jpg

I have to drive 30 minutes in any direction to get to a supercharger, and I have no ability to charge at home.

Is there somewhere that Tesla lists action on these build locations? Also, is there anywhere that specifies exact locations/addresses for the future install? Or is it just whenever someone sees construction and posts it here or similar?

For instance, the North Vancouver charger lists an area on Lower Lonsdale Ave, but the location is very non-specific, and there are a ton of new buildings that just went in at that relative location. I would think that means they would be in one of those buildings, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.

One example: there are some 6-50 outlets installed in the pay parking lot of Whole Foods very very close to the stated future supercharger location, and the spaces are painted for EV parking. This seems suspiciously like they planned to put something there but just.. didn't.

Also, I will agree, there are SO many Teslas here. It's actually rather impressive.

Is there somewhere that Tesla lists action on these build locations? Also, is there anywhere that specifies exact locations/addresses for the future install? Or is it just whenever someone sees construction and posts it here or similar?
Unfortunately nothing is official with Tesla until a week after an SC is actually open and it starts showing up on their apps. Anything more than that is crowd-sourced info or rumour.

Unfortunately nothing is official with Tesla until a week after an SC is actually open and it starts showing up on their apps. Anything more than that is crowd-sourced info or rumour.

Someone put up about 5 future BC Superchargers on Plugshare about a week ago. I noticed they have all been taken down now. Not sure what plugshare policy is on posting future Superchargers but maybe they felt without a determined date they shouldn’t be up there. It was kind of encouraging to see what is coming though. A couple were in places really important to our travels and will make a big difference for us.

Meanwhile, new Chademo/CCS sites continue to be added in BC. Kinda cool. The northern route to prince Rupert is all presently under construction and should be open by fall. Too late for a summer trip to Rupert though. After that I would think 97 towards Alaska is next. Probably next year. Then the province is covered, even if it’s only 50 KW via the adapter. The future is lookin “charged”. :).

Someone put up about 5 future BC Superchargers on Plugshare about a week ago. I noticed they have all been taken down now. Not sure what plugshare policy is on posting future Superchargers but maybe they felt without a determined date they shouldn’t be up there.
I believe they have to have a permit applied for, not just wishful thinking.

Someone put up about 5 future BC Superchargers on Plugshare about a week ago. I noticed they have all been taken down now. Not sure what plugshare policy is on posting future Superchargers but maybe they felt without a determined date they shouldn’t be up there.

Plugshare pretty much only takes official Tesla data for Superchargers. Though I think they have allowed some to be flagged as future if there was evidence of an actual location. (But I think you have to actually look at future sites, they won't show up by default.)

Reactions: Vancity-Tes1a
I respectfully disagree with ccudmore as there is the Tesla website that shows future locations of SCs. It generally just lists the city/town and the pin is dropped wherever Google Maps has the label. Those sites almost always get built, but they can be years behind the scheduled date. There are very few instances in Canada of SCs on this website not getting built, occasionally they do move to a nearby town.

You will notice that the North Van location is at the bottom of the "r" in "North" That is because this is the centre of the area of the label of North Vancouver when that is done over two lines. So don't count on that exact location. They often go at Cadillac Fairview Malls or Walmart Supercentres, at least in Ontario. In the last year or so they have also put SCs at Can Tire stores.

FYI - if you look at the Tesla website you will see upcoming locations in North Van, West Van, Burnaby and White Rock. All have a target opening of 2020.

You will notice that the North Van location is at the bottom of the "r" in "North" That is because this is the centre of the area of the label of North Vancouver when that is done over two lines. So don't count on that exact location. They often go at Cadillac Fairview Malls or Walmart Supercentres, at least in Ontario. In the last year or so they have also put SCs at Can Tire stores.

FYI - if you look at the Tesla website you will see upcoming locations in North Van, West Van, Burnaby and White Rock. All have a target opening of 2020.
Where are you looking on the tesla website that you see this? EDIT: Found it

We don't have much in the way of Walmarts here in Vancouver area, although there is one here in North Van, along with a big (and busy) Canadian Tire. Fairview does not have any malls in this area and only 2 in BC that I know of.

I respectfully disagree with ccudmore as there is the Tesla website that shows future locations of SCs. It generally just lists the city/town and the pin is dropped wherever Google Maps has the label. Those sites almost always get built, but they can be years behind the scheduled date. There are very few instances in Canada of SCs on this website not getting built, occasionally they do move to a nearby town.
Fair enough. But their "coming soon" doesn't necessarily mean it actually will ever come.... and if it does it may not be soon. It's an indication of their intention at a point in time.

Agreed, but for the ones on that site they pretty much always get built. One near Ottawa was moved when the "Stardale" site was moved to Casselman. Can you think of any sites in Eastern Canada that were never built? Woodstock, NB disappeared from the site for a while, but was eventually built.

The most delayed that I remember was North Bay. There are some sites from about 2017 that are still outstanding that I can think of, like three urban sites in Toronto.

I'm in North Vancouver and they've listed two future supercharger locations on the north shore of Vancouver for .. a long time..(?) with no movement. I've seen them listed in the "superchargers" iOS app.

ITWKn9D

View attachment 562476

I have to drive 30 minutes in any direction to get to a supercharger, and I have no ability to charge at home.

For instance, the North Vancouver charger lists an area on Lower Lonsdale Ave, but the location is very non-specific, and there are a ton of new buildings that just went in at that relative location. I would think that means they would be in one of those buildings, but I'm not seeing any sign of it.

One example: there are some 6-50 outlets installed in the pay parking lot of Whole Foods very very close to the stated future supercharger location, and the spaces are painted for EV parking. This seems suspiciously like they planned to put something there but just.. didn't.

Also, I will agree, there are SO many Teslas here. It's actually rather impressive.

If you have a Chademo adapter, there's 3 location in North Van that has DCFC . You have to pay at the 2 locations , the other one is free for now...

Go back to 2013 and you with new Tesla you want to go to Calgary. You plan steps by steps to find a charger and then hoping it's not occupied by another car. Made to Calgary with a stopover in Revelstoke. Then in Calgary downtown flooding make it more problem. But made it back to Vancouver. Now it is not a big problem. Enjoy the Superchargers if you have to wait few minutes.

If you have a Chademo adapter, there's 3 location in North Van that has DCFC . You have to pay at the 2 locations , the other one is free for now...
Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't justify over $600 for a charge adapter I'll hardly use. If the price drops, maybe. In the mean time, I'd much rather L2 charge at work and at the free city charger and wait for a supercharger in my local area, or drive to a downtown or other supercharger if I'm in a rush.

Besides, that free DC Fast Charger provided by BC Hydro on 1st is ALWAYS full in my experience.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I can't justify over $600 for a charge adapter I'll hardly use. If the price drops, maybe. In the mean time, I'd much rather L2 charge at work and at the free city charger and wait for a supercharger in my local area, or drive to a downtown or other supercharger if I'm in a rush.

Besides, that free DC Fast Charger provided by BC Hydro on 1st is ALWAYS full in my experience.
Yeah I’m debating if it’s worth the $600 adapter, I’m planning a trip in August to Banff & Jasper in my MS and it will be a close call with no SC in Jasper. & no Chademo adapter which I might have to buy.

Yeah I’m debating if it’s worth the $600 adapter, I’m planning a trip in August to Banff & Jasper in my MS and it will be a close call with no SC in Jasper. & no Chademo adapter which I might have to buy.

The ChAdeMO adapter is very nice to have especially in interior BC.

Don't let the $600 price tag scare you. When you finish the trip you can easily sell it close to what you paid for.

BC Hydro has done a great job and provides relative fast charging outside the major routes.