Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Weird charge planning on my recent road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hacer

Apr 13, 2016
Clarksville, MD
My model S has version 2019.40.2.1 software.

I took a trip to Hawk's Nest state park in West Virginia the other day, starting from home (Clarksville, MD). I didn't do any prior trip planning and I'd never been to that area before - I just put in the destination to the navigation. It came up with two charging stops - one in Frederick MD, and then in Lexington VA. The weird thing is that it said charge for 0 minutes at Frederick from the start. That supercharger is new and I hadn't used it before. Although I thought it was a bit odd to go North a bit to a charger and not even need to charge there (would arrive with 67% charge), it was certainly possible that traffic on 495 and 66 could make this route faster, and I wanted to see the Fredrick supercharger, so I followed the car's advice.

Once I arrived at the Frederick supercharger (with actual 67% charge), the car still said charge for 0 minutes. I plugged in anyway and the moment I did, it said that I would arrive at Lexington with negative 22% charge. So that was already really weird. I realized that if I wanted a 10% buffer arriving in Lexington it would require a 100% charge which would waste a lot of time, so I took a look at the route and realized there were a few other supercharges I could stop at earlier if needed, so I decided to leave as soon as it said I would have 0% arriving at Lexington. After driving just a few minutes, the energy screen suddenly updated and jumped from arriving with 0% to arriving with 12%! After 20 minutes driving (at about 79 MPH) it was showing arriving with 20%.

I did arrive at Lexington with an actual 20% charge. When I plugged in there it said it would need an hour before I could resume my trip which would again mean charging to nearly 100%. After reaching about 85% it said I still needed 25 more minutes of charging and would arrive at Hawk's Nest with negative 5%. I decided to leave anyway and possibly charge at Mt Hope, WV if I couldn't get to Hawk's Nest without at least some reasonable margin. Again after a short amount of driving it jumped to +5% on the energy screen, and as I drove (still mostly near 80 MPH) it gradually went up until it leveled off at 14%. I arrived at Hawk's Nest (skipping Mt Hope) with about 15% charge.

The return trip went normally (and a shorter path using I-66 and I-495) with no strange jumps in the expected energy consumption on any leg of the trip. There were no reboots or updates between the original and return trips. I don't know if this is some kind of bug in the map data used to estimate energy consumption or something else. I've been on many other trips and never had an experience like this before. It wasn't too painful, but it probably cost an extra 20 minutes in a nearly 7 hour trip.

Has anybody else experienced something similar?