Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Website wait times for delivery change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier today it said "august" and "late august" for standard and performance... now... we are pushed back into "late august" and "September"... Holy. Crap.
tesla web.PNG

Or Panasonic next phase behind schedule, or Germans saying "hey we just hit 70% renewable production for a day - when power was essentially free for awhile - why are we getting 8miles/ gallon on autobahn again instead of awesome BEV?"

probably china but I just wanted to post about awesome German solar + wind infrastructure.

probably china

I bet it is China. Elon's recent visit may have contributed to more orders from heavy media coverage of its opening of a new store, in Shanghai. He has mentioned during the CC that if Tesla distributes its cars to China so that demand can be somewhat satisfied, then the rest of the world would be "starved" from Model S deliveries. Since only a specific amount of money was allocated to "free" license plates in China, perhaps a large sum of buyers on the fence showed up in hordes in order to ensure they get a piece of that incentive before it's depleted. When it comes to money, the Chinese can act very swiftly :) a testament to how much Tesla has blown up in China is that the Chinese news station here in America also gives tesla some nice coverage; something that was conveyed to me through a friend.

Another interesting thing is European sites are 4-5 months. I don't know if that is an increase or decrease but September is 4 months away so at most the wait in Europe is 1 month longer. Unless the times on the website are wrong. I think I also lean towards filling China demand as the culprit. No matter where it comes from, though, there is certainly a lot of demand.

I don't buy that demand has shot up big time due to the oatmeal news. I actually doubt demand has gone up substantial that warrants this huge delivery date change. My argument is that in July, 2nd line is coming up which is drastically going to improve production provided more cells become available. Which is supposed to reduce delivery dates but I have doubt now on the cell side than demand increase.

A few days back, someone posted a June end delivery for order confirmation in 2nd week of May. Hard to digest its the demand generated in last 10 days causing delay. Most likely outcome may be a preference to China deliveries based on initial market reaction.

Last edited:
The delay seems to match with 3000 free plates announcement in Shanghai. The rush is to fully use all available plates before Nissan or BMW start selling their EVs in China. My theory.
Good theory. Someone in the other thread brought up that the rate of Model X reservations is up almost 50% so far this month. It isn't unreasonable to assume Model S orders have increased at a similar rate but it can't really explain the delay since we went from June to September so quickly.

maybe it wasnt so sudden but just behind on updating the site?

I would also suggest this is not the case. Because I saw in the span of about 2 days it shifted twice. It didn't just go randomly from June to September. There is pictures here and in some other threads of people noticing the month changes as they occurred on the day it moved. If they were just behind on updating it, you would have seen a sudden jump all in one day. Instead people actually saw it shift into July, August, Late August, September over the span of about 1 week.

Investor Relations reply!

The question I sent to Tesla Investor Relations:
"Can you tell me, as a holder of many shares of TSLA, why the estimated delivery dates reported on the Tesla website move back considerably to September?
Is it increased demand? China orders? Or?"

I.R. Reply: Congratulations! You are the first to notice. We've been trying to tell investors that demand is growing even in our most mature markets, so wait times are extending. That's the answer.

(Obviously I was not the first to notice the change on website.)