Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason tesla needed a nose cone with the Model S was because their sensors couldn't work through metal. But they fixed that when they released the Model X. So their design is no longer restricted by that. They might have also kept a fake nose cone to make customers more at ease in accepting an EV.

Another way to look at it, if ICE cars no longer needed the air intake, you might have seen car designs without grills.

+1, we are being psychologically manipulated. I'm getting ready for a very different looking front end.

(and I like the X front end)

I have a very good feeling the Model X nose was pulled from the Model 3 design. Implemented on the X first so as to not tip their hats for a Model S refresh eventually. I sure it will make its way to the Model S in due time but not until Model 3 is revealed.

435 HP for a $35,000 car. I don't think so.
Well, almost certainly not - but that's also a bit of ICE-age thinking. Getting 435HP out of an ICE means lots of cylinders = lots of machining & assembly costs. Or super/turbocharging - lots of extra components/cooling capacity. Putting it to the ground means beefing-up your 6//7/8/9-speed automatic transmission, also big $.

But in an EV, if you already have a big enough battery for 240-ish miles, the cost delta for say, a 200kW motor and inverter vs. a 300kW motor isn't nearly as big. Likewise the reduction gearset - yes bigger more torque-resistant teeth will cost more, but it's 1 set of gears rather than a dozen+ gears. The cost/performance curve is much, much shallower for EVs than for ICE.

I'm sure Tesla will try to maintain healthy margins on the performance variants, of course. They should be quite profitable for a few years until competition (eventually) arrives and starts driving the margins down.

The nosecone was part of the design long before sensors came on the scene...
+1 I think the black nose one was a way to transition consumers from the standard grille on ICE to the MS. Now that the masses understand, the MX has only a small grille. The M3 should continue to move away from the nose cone. Perhaps it will have more of a shield style with the grille and T badge.

I have a very good feeling the Model X nose was pulled from the Model 3 design. Implemented on the X first so as to not tip their hats for a Model S refresh eventually. I sure it will make its way to the Model S in due time but not until Model 3 is revealed.

Agreed!

2xWV9Ym.jpg

This was the Tesla S Alpha design that I loved. I had to buy a black MS because I didn't like the final nosecone design and at least the nosecone matches the paint.

25-tesla-model-s-development.jpg
26-tesla-model-s-development.jpg

This was the Tesla S Alpha design that I loved. I had to buy a black MS because I didn't like the final nosecone design and at least the nosecone matches the paint.

View attachment 111999View attachment 112000

Hadn't seen those pictures before but you can see where the Model X slit came from. If they removed the nose code line hints and added the T logo it would be done. Print it!!

Good looks are never obsolete.
I sat in a Chevrolet Camaro at the Toronto Auto Show and must say I'm happy for the end of the "gun slit" side window design philosophy.

After all it was made popular by Chrysler when they brought out the RWD 300 and Charger so it's had its time and it is played out if you ask me.

That all said, those are great drawings of a beautiful car, just not one that's an appropriate mainstream car design, for today, IMHO.