Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I like it too, mostly because it's heavily based on the Model 3. We know that Elon has talked about the X being "over-engineered", and that there are very few parts that are reused between the S and the X. I'm thinking that they have learned from that mistake.

Something close to that rendering should be really simple to make. Take the Model 3, add crossover plastics, make it a little bit higher, flatter roof after the B-pillar so that you can make it a hatchback without sacrificing roof height in the back and voila, you got the Model Y.

I like it too, mostly because it's heavily based on the Model 3. We know that Elon has talked about the X being "over-engineered", and that there are very few parts that are reused between the S and the X. I'm thinking that they have learned from that mistake.

Something close to that rendering should be really simple to make. Take the Model 3, add crossover plastics, make it a little bit higher, flatter roof after the B-pillar so that you can make it a hatchback without sacrificing roof height in the back and voila, you got the Model Y.

The Model S and X were supposed to have about 60% parts overlap at the beginning, but when the X was put into production, that was down to only about 30%. The underlying chassis (motors, battery pack, etc.) is almost identical between the two. The Model S refresh ported a number of things that were easy to port from the X to the S. The two probably have about a 35-40% overlap now.

As you point out from lessons learned the Model 3 and Y will probably have more overlap.

Reactions: Laban
That's actually far more then i remembered it to be. But still a huge difference from the expected 60%. Especially if you remove the "obvious" parts from the equation , motor, battery pack and so forth.

Yup. Fortunately because of the shared drive components the Model X isn't seeing drive system problems to anywhere near the level of the early Model Ss. The problems with the X are primarily in the new systems above the skateboard.

I wasn't all that surprised by Elon Musk's hubris comment about the Model X. I'm just glad he realized it.