Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We want some Model 3 Leaks, renders, sketches !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
art: You add the numbers for passenger and luggage volume together. Over a certain threshold, you reach a particular size classification. Once again, it does not have to do with overall length of the car. I expect the Tesla Model ≡ to be slightly longer and wider than the BMW 3-Series Sedans, but to have a Midsize classification due to total interior volume.

EcoHeliGuy: There is a strong tendency for US buyers to think a 'big car' is one with a long hood, big motor, long wheelbase, and extreme overall length front-to-back. The EPA seeks to equalize things by using passenger volume and luggage volume to create size classifications. So, a 16-cylinder two-seater with a tiny trunk that weighs 5,000 lbs and is 22 feet long will still be a Compact.

Last edited:
art: You add the numbers for passenger and luggage volume together. Over a certain threshold, you reach a particular size classification. Once again, it does not have to do with overall length of the car. I expect the Tesla Model ≡ to be slightly longer and wider than the BMW 3-Series Sedans, but to have a Midsize classification due to total interior volume.

EcoHeliGuy: There is a strong tendency for US buyers to think a 'big car' is one with a long hood, big motor, long wheelbase, and extreme overall length front-to-back. The EPA seeks to equalize things by using passenger volume and luggage volume to create size classifications. So, a 16-cylinder two-seater with a tiny trunk that weighs 5,000 lbs and is 22 feet long will still be a Compact.

I don't think Tesla meant 20% of model S internal volume. You don't need to start from scratch to achieve that feat. The present generation BMW series 3 is roughly 86% the external dimension of the Model S. And still has lots of room for internal seating.

Also Tesla has a bit of history comparing models too other market leaders. Model S = Benz S class, Model X = Audi Q7, Model 3 = ?

This is the difference between the EPA and market classifications. The EPA is based strictly on interior volume. The market is based on exterior size.

3 series is classified as a luxury compact sedan in terms of the market.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/02/road-report-luxury-compact-sedans/index.htm

320i sedan is actually classified as an EPA compact since it is right at the border 109 cu ft.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/35293.shtml

The Grand Turismo hatchback version is classified as a EPA large car at 127 cu ft.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/35365.shtml

BMW 3 Series Specs.

ScreenHunter_474 Feb. 24 11.53.jpg

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_476 Feb. 24 11.54.jpg
    ScreenHunter_476 Feb. 24 11.54.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 147
Thanks red if that comes true that's the perfect car. Compact and easy to park, heavy enough to be comfortable on the hwy, a wheelbase of 110" to keep the chatter down on the hwy. the room of a midsize on the inside. Very little upkeep, fast, economical to run. Are we in a dream? No your in a tesla. I'll give that phrase to tesla.

The BMW 6-Series, 4-Series, and 3-Series sedans are all Compact. The 5-Series is Mid size. Take a look at the 'Specs' tab:

Compare Side-by-Side

So my little Honda fit hatchback (small station wagon according the US gov.) has twice the luggage room as the BMW 3,4 and 5 series... got a feeling the 3 maybe a hatchback (small station wagon). Elon likes showing luggage taken in and out of the cars at the events.

I'm not so sure. Looks short for MS. But I never had a chance to look at MS without all the plastic.

Pretty sure that's a Model S without all the plastic, and jacked up in the air.

Greg beat me to it.

- - - Updated - - -

... got a feeling the 3 maybe a hatchback (small station wagon).

A wagon doesn't fit the projected image of a BMW 3 killer in the US. It will be a hatchback in the same way as the Model S is a hatchback.