Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing my Model S - First Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do you protect the paint finish from the sun? After 10 years of parking outside at work in the summer, my Prius's paint is fading and peeling; avoiding that on Model S is very important.

Keep the car clean. Most importantly, wax it to protect from sun damage. Same goes for the Prius.

Since you park outside daily, I recommend waxing it every 8 weeks or so. Make sure it's clean before waxing!

One thing I should probably mention in this thread is the rubber gaskets. I treat the rubber gaskets (doors, etc.) with silicone spray lubricant about twice a year. It helps keep them in good condition and prevents deterioration. You can also do the sidewalls of the tires if you want them to look nice.

At the risk of getting people mad at me I'll say it again...

It's a car. Get over it. Drive it through a touchless car wash and be happy.

It's not a priceless piece of art. It will not appreciate in value. Actually, it keeps it's value over time about as well as cream cheese. The resale values of Teslas are terrible, and the state of the paint on your car has nothing to do with it.

This is the most visceral response I have ever had to a post at TMC.

Personally, I find your comment judgemental and insulting. If owners want to obsess over their cars, then why not let them? What is the need for judgement and harshness? I dropped 135K on my girl, and G-dammit, I'm going to make sure that she stays as lovely as I reasonably can. It's not so much the "car" as it is the fun of doing it right and having pride in a job well done.

We are all part of a community here and it seems to me that we would better served by being on the same team.

And BTW, I have gotten 20% price bumps when selling my cars because they are perfectly immaculate. It does pay off.

Really? Hmm. That surprises me.
Personally, I find your comment judgemental and insulting.
Enlighten me. English is not my native language. Where in my post did I judge you or insult you?
I was talking about a car. Not about you.
I'm really curious how you believe that this was judging or insulting you.

Hey there dirkhh, topic is about best method to wash OP's pride & joy. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please start your own thread, otherwise, please spare us your unsolicited wisdom. Thanks for stopping by.

Back to topic, I use the foam gun with Mr. Pink sud from CG, then two bucket wash. I sit in front of the computer all day, and I find it therapeutic washing my own car.

It's a car. Get over it. Drive it through a touchless car wash and be happy.

It's not a priceless piece of art. It will not appreciate in value. Actually, it keeps it's value over time about as well as cream cheese. The resale values of Teslas are terrible, and the state of the paint on your car has nothing to do with it.
Yeah, this isn't going to fly with many on this forum. We love our cars, I don't fond over my clothes and other things but this is one object I think I'll allow myself to dote over.

Personally, I find your comment judgemental and insulting. If owners want to obsess over their cars, then why not let them? What is the need for judgement and harshness? I dropped 135K on my girl, and G-dammit, I'm going to make sure that she stays as lovely as I reasonably can. It's not so much the "car" as it is the fun of doing it right and having pride in a job well done.

We are all part of a community here and it seems to me that we would better served by being on the same team.

And BTW, I have gotten 20% price bumps when selling my cars because they are perfectly immaculate. It does pay off.
I don't think dirkhh was trying to be judgmental or insulting. I think he was trying to introduce a little reality into the discussion. There are people here who are adamantly prescriptive about what you must and must not do to avoid destroying your car. They are, IMO, over the top paranoid. The reality is that this is a car that many people use as their daily driver and as such it will get dirty, etc. I believe the point is that we don't need to obsess over the car and treat it with kid gloves. It's a car and will survive normal car treatment.
By all means, if it makes you feel good to spend a lot of time stroking your car, go ahead and spend as much time with it as you wish. However, I don't think we need to get people all upset that they might ruin the car if they don't apply magic plastic wrap, cleaner and polisher and other arcane rituals. It's a car, use it and enjoy it!

Mod Note: please let this simmer down. People have the right to obsess over their car just as others have the right to question why anyone would do such a thing. Don't think any insults were intended.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however as the OP, I do want to keep this on-topic.

Does anyone have any recommendations on specific CG products they have used?

Also, I figure I'll need some supplies. I'm reading/learning that microfiber towels are the way to go, but how many should I get to properly dry the MS? Any other recommendations on supplies?

Thanks

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion however as the OP, I do want to keep this on-topic.

Also, I figure I'll need some supplies. I'm reading/learning that microfiber towels are the way to go, but how many should I get to properly dry the MS? Any other recommendations on supplies?

Thanks
OK here is some specific advice. I use Optimun No Rinse Wash and Wax which is the product that the detailer who did my cQuartz recommended. You don't need to limit yourself to "Chemical Guys" products. It's available on Amazon. You can buy microfiber towels by the dozen at Walmart or Sams. When they get old, use them for the wheels and use new ones on the painted surfaces. I like waffle weave microfiber towels for drying as they're more absorbant. Two are plenty for the whole car.

Thanks

If it helps I could point in the direction of Corey where I for all my wash supplies. And there are some variables on how many towels you need, If you keep your car properly waxed then after rinsing(you leaning for 2 bucket washing? Not rinse less?) Then 2 waffle weaves will be enough to dry your car. You might need three if your close to needing more wax because with minimal beading the water lays flat and car be really annoying to get it all off the paint. Just remember when washing no matter which way you do its really important that your first pass with soap, rinse less, what ever your using you use next to no pressure to get the bulk of the debris off the surfaces before you put any substantial force down. This helps insure your not swirling up your paint! Hope this helps and feel free to contact me or call if you ever have any questions :biggrin:

It's a car. Get over it. [1]Drive it through a touchless car wash and be happy.

[2] It's not a priceless piece of art. [3] It will not appreciate in value. [4] Actually, it keeps it's value over time about as well as cream cheese. [5] The resale values of Teslas are terrible, and the state of the paint on your car has nothing to do with it.
[0] You're off-topic.
[1] That makes me unhappy. So, incorrect.
[2] Matter of opinion. Many would disagree.
[3] Incorrect. The opposite ("It will appreciate in value.") isn't true either -- generally. Case by case we've seen used Model S sell above and below MSRP. Usually the latter, we'd agree.
[4] Incorrect. I'll be generous in my example. If I park cream cheese in the sun on a protected patio for 3 months, there will be no buyers if I offer it for 1% of MSRP. If I park my Model S in the same conditions, I would easily be able to sell it for much greater than 1% of MSRP.
[5] Disagree.

* I'm aware that "MSRP" might be the wrong term to use in Tesla's case, but it's short and people (usually) understand what's meant.

I have said this before, but it really works well. Firstly, Opticoat the car. Then, maintenance. Rinse all over with a pressure washer. Use a snow foam gun/ lance with your favourite quality car shampoo. I use Optimum. Let it sit for about a minute. Spray the shampoo off with the pressure washer. Finish by drying with microfibre towels. The car is very clean by this time and there is almost zero muck on the towels. The car simply gleams with this regimen. Also, it involves minimal physical work. By the way, have the wheels opticoated as well, makes the brake dust, what there is of it, simply fall off with the treatment above.

OK here is some specific advice. I use Optimun No Rinse Wash and Wax which is the product that the detailer who did my cQuartz recommended. You don't need to limit yourself to "Chemical Guys" products. It's available on Amazon. You can buy microfiber towels by the dozen at Walmart or Sams. When they get old, use them for the wheels and use new ones on the painted surfaces. I like waffle weave microfiber towels for drying as they're more absorbant. Two are plenty for the whole car.
This is the correct answer and I think it's okay to close the thread now... ;)

Here's a video of us washing our very dirty Model S with no soap or sponges, just a powerwasher (fyi, the washer at this particular place is subpar and somewhat low pressure).

(We have opti-coat)

I've already been scolded about the proper technique for powerwashing from other ppl who have seen the video (top down, avoid mirrors/seams/window edges, etc). We've since learned from our mistakes, lol. I'm the one filming the video, not the one washing the car.

Last edited by a moderator: