Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Washing my Model S - First Time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with the great tips from everyone.

One more thing: Bugs are best removed with dryer sheets (as in clothes dryer). Either wet the car and put dryer sheets directly on the bugs, or put a dryer sheet in a spray bottle with water and spray. Let sit for 2 minutes, then wash the car as normal. The bugs will slide right off.

Another thing that was already mentioned but can't be mentioned enough is the clay bar! It's was such a game changer for me when I "discovered" it. My whole previous life I had been struggling with solvents and polish to slowly and painfully remove tar, asphalt spots, tree sap and other downfall. With a clay bar it is so much fun to feel it effortlessly come right off and leave a smooth surface :smile:

Last edited:
At the risk of getting people mad at me I'll say it again...

It's a car. Get over it. Drive it through a touchless car wash and be happy.

It's not a priceless piece of art. It will not appreciate in value. Actually, it keeps it's value over time about as well as cream cheese. The resale values of Teslas are terrible, and the state of the paint on your car has nothing to do with it.

You are not making people mad, you are just revealing that you haven't understood what car washing is about. It is not a financial activity to create resale value, it is a car sexual thing :love:...

Jokes aside, I think a lot of people agree that it is fun to run your soapy hand over a beautiful car and enjoy looking at the glimmering paint afterwards.

And a word of warning against your touchless car wash recommendation. Touchless car washes have actually ruined a couple of my cars by manually washing the car with brooms before it went in to the tunnel. They sometimes have a couple of manual laborers outside brooming the cars off in order to protect the car wash from too much dirt going in.

The next problem is their sometimes dirty towels that they dry the car with with afterwards. I once caught them in the act of dropping a wet towel in the gravel on the ground just to put it up on my car again and keep grinding, sorry I mean wiping. Not very touchless...

Last edited:
You are not making people mad, you are just revealing that you haven't understood what car washing is about. It is not a financial activity to create resale value, it is a car sexual thing :love:...

Jokes aside, I think a lot of people agree that it is fun to run your soapy hand over a beautiful car and enjoy looking at the glimmering paint afterwards.

And a word of warning against your touchless car wash recommendation. Touchless car washes have actually ruined a couple of my cars by manually washing the car with brooms before it went in to the tunnel. They sometimes have a couple of manual laborers outside brooming the cars off in order to protect the car wash from too much dirt going in.

The next problem is their sometimes dirty towels that they dry the car with with afterwards. I once caught them in the act of dropping a wet towel in the gravel on the ground just to put it up on my car again and keep grinding, sorry I mean wiping. Not very touchless...
Sounds like your "touchless" car wash isn't really touchless. The dirt that's on the car is abrasive and anything (towel, brush, etc.) that touches the car to remove the dirt will cause scratches. It's really best to just use lots of water and minimal pressure. Lots of water rinses away the dirt as soon as it comes free from the surface. Be careful with any rag, cloth, brush, etc. and only apply the absolute minimal pressure.
Also, you don't need any kind of soap. Soap or detergent doesn't dissolve dirt. Water dissolves dirt. Soap/detergent is designed to remove oil and wax. Automotive soaps are designed to be gentle and not remove much oil or wax but they still remove some so you really don't need any soap to remove dirt.
As far as running your soapy hand/body over the car... what you do in the privacy of your home is up to you and none of my business (but you don't need soap to clean the car).