Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
VisibleTesla 0.24.00 - Thanksgiving Edition

Hi All,

I wasn't able to spend as much time testing as I wanted to, but hopefully v0.24.00 isn't a turkey (sorry, I couldn't resist the Thanksgiving pun).

The most noticeable change in this version is the addition of the Trips tab, but there are a bunch of other changes/fixes/enhancements as well. Hit "Check for Updates" to get the new version or download it manually by clicking this link. I didn't mark this release as experimental, but it does have a lot of changes to the underlying code. Consider this a good time to make a backup your VT data files :wink:.

Anyone with Aero or Cyclone wheels, please drop me a line. I'd like to get the codes for them. I've added the images to VisibleTesla, but without knowing what codes Tesla uses to describe them, I can't display them properly.

Update: Forgot to mention that both TeslaClient and VisibleTesla have been updated on github.

Here are the details:

VisibleTesla 0.24.00 [12-01-13]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Added the Trips tab. See below for details.
      • Changed the "File->Export Graph Data" menu item to "File->Export Stats Data"
      • Added a "File->Export Location Data" menu item. If you are collecting location data (see the new preference) then this will allow you to export that data.
      • When data is exported to Excel format (either stats or location data), the header row is frozen. When you open the file in Excel (or similar) the header row will remain stationary when you scroll the data up and down. This allows you to always see the column labels.
      • Hopefully you'll never see this, but the way error logging is done has changed. The log is now stored in a file called "visibletesla.log" and captures more information than it used to. This file is stored in the application folder and you should never have to look at it.
    • Login
      • Fixed: A problem remembering the "Remember Me" option. I know - ironic.
    • Overview
      • Added the underlying support for Aero and Cyclone (19" Turbine) wheels. They are supported in simulation, but more work is necessary to determine the actual codes used for these wheels by Tesla.
      • Used new images from the lastest version of the iPhone app for the Grey 21" wheels, the standard 19" wheels, the Aero wheels and the Cyclone wheels.
    • HVAC
      • Added the underlying support for Aero and Cyclone (19" Turbine) wheels. They are supported in simulation, but more work is necessary to determine the actual codes used for these wheels by Tesla.
      • Used new images from the lastest version of the iPhone app for the Grey 21" wheels, the standard 19" wheels, the Aero wheels and the Cyclone wheels.
      • Location data is now stored persistently by the application. This information is used by the new Trips tab. The amount of data that gets stored is controlled by the Location preferences.
      • This data can also be exported using the "File->Export Location Data" menu item.
    • Charge
    • Graphs
      • VisibleTesla starts collecting statistics at launch. You no longer need to go to the Graphs tab to start the collection process.
      • The Graphs tab now collects data whenever any part of the app probes the vehicle. It collects statistics on a regular basis as always, but it will also store statistics opportunistically when another part of the application happens to have additional data. This is most relevant when you are on the Location tab. As it collects location data, that information is now shared with the Graphs tab so that it will have additional samples. This means you may see more samples than you normally would.
      • The way data is loaded has completely changed. It no longer loads incrementally with the progress bar displayed at the bottom of the window. It now loads all at once when you select the Graph tab. This may take a few seconds depending on how much data you've chosen to import. The overall load time is much shorter.
    • Trips
      • This new tab allows you to view previous trips that have been captured by VisibleTesla. The app looks at stored location information and tries to break the data up into separate trips. Your drive to work in the morning would be one trip, your drive home at night would be another. An outing to a restaurant would be another.
      • The tab displays a calendar and allows you to select the day or days that contain the trips you're interested in reviewing. When you select a day (or range of days), a drop down list is populated with all of the trips in that time span. Select any trip and click the "Map It" button. A new browser window will appear with a Google map that plots your trip.
      • The map will contain a marker showing the location of the vehicle every time a reading was taken. If you hover your mouse above one of these markers, it will show you the date and time that the car was at that location and the speed it was traveling at the time.
      • When a trip is selected from the dropdown, some basic information about the trip is displayed in a table in the tab. The table shows the following information (if available):
        • Starting and Ending Range
        • Starting and Ending SOC (state of charge)
        • Starting and Ending Odometer reading
    • Scheduler
    • Preferences
      • Location: Add a "Collect Location Data" checkbox. If this is checked, the application will store location data captured by the Location tab, the Graphs tab, or any other part of the application that happens to have location data available. This stored information can be used by the Trips tab. Along with this checkbox there are two new sliders that govern how much location information to collect. One slider puts a limit on how much time must elapse between stored samples and the other indicates the minimum distance between samples. For example, you might say not to store a new sample until 10 seconds have elapsed between the last sample. You might also say not to store a new sample until the car has moved at least 10 meters from the previous sample.
      • Graphs: There are no longer any Graphs preferences. The preference for how much data to load is now part of General preferences. The incremental load option (under advanced) has been removed.
      • General: Moved the preference for how much data to load into General preferences from Graphs preferences. Moved "Offer Experimental Versions" to the Advanced section
      • Some minor cleanup.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Extensive, but fairly mechanical, changes to the way state is handled and shared in the application. Similarly extensive changes were made to the underlying client library (TeslaClient).
    • Reworked the way data is collected and loaded. This enables several of the new capabilities.
    • Cleaned up the login code a bit.
  • Known problems
    • Same "heading after sleep" problem as previous releases. This is a Tesla problem.

Last edited:
I got a reply back.

Reply from Person 1

Since we were not actively involved in the development of “VisibleTesla”, we are unable to offer support on the product. As a hypothesis, I would say it is possible that “VisbileTesla” is pulling data from your initial sales configuration, as opposed to your current active configuration. I took a look at your vehicle over the air and I can confirm that supercharging is currently active.

He sent me a screenshot and this is what it said, i thought this might help with the API or something.
Charger: TeslaSingle, fc:installed true.
allowed true

Reply from Person 2
Regarding your inquiry on the VisibleTesla application, this application is not made by Tesla and does not reflect the vehicle information that we would have in our databases. I’ve checked your account and you do indeed have Supercharging enabled. This difference of information may be due to the app seeing the original configuration of the vehicle, while our systems show the current/updated configuration. I will pass along your request to have this information reflect what is currently on our end.

Yes Supercharger: false under details.

Hello ohaq. Can you tell me what you mean specifically when you say that it shows supercharger as false? Do you mean that when you hit the "Details" button in the Overview tab that it says "Supercharger: false" in the Charging section? Or do you mean that when you go to the Charging tab it shows "Supercharger No"?

I suspect you mean the former and I suspect that when they added the option they did not reset the setting indicating that you are now supercharger-capable.

Last edited:
I love this program. You have done a great job jpasqua. Here is a cute thing I added... I am running it on a Mac and I have put the jar file in my quick launch bar at the bottom and then I changed the icon of that JAR file to a transparent PNG icon of the Model S. That way I see my car on my screen, click on the icon and the program starts :)

Launch bar.jpg

Last edited:
One item I have been thinking about for the iOS app that could maybe be implemented in Visible Tesla is some way to send an email if charging is interrupted (power failure or other events that was cause charging to stop before complete). In the same line of thinking I would love to receive a notification if the car has to been connected up to charge by a certain selected time each evening (preventing someone who comes home and forgets to plug in the car). It has happened to me a few times, not because I really forgot but because I came home, thought I would be going back out that day but didn't end up doing so and so the car was not not plugged in overnight. Just some food for thought....

I got a reply back. ...

He sent me a screenshot and this is what it said, i thought this might help with the API or something.
Charger: TeslaSingle, fc:installed true.
allowed true

Thanks for the update ohaq. Apparently what they have in their system is not automatically synchronized with what they report through the REST API (which is what VisibleTesla and programs like it use to get this sort of information). Unfortunately this is the only information I have access to, so I won't be able to make it work properly in your case. If it starts displaying correctly in VT, it implies that someone at Tesla reconciled these two systems.

If you happen to be at a supercharger and can somehow look at the Charge tab of VisibleTesla (e.g. laptop with cellular internet), it would be interesting to know what the "Supercharger" entry says. It should be true regardless of what other parts of the system are reporting.

- - - Updated - - -

I love this program. You have done a great job jpasqua. Here is a cute thing I added... I am running it on a Mac and I have put the jar file in my quick launch bar at the bottom and then I changed the icon of that JAR file to a transparent PNG icon of the Model S. That way I see my car on my screen, click on the icon and the program starts :)

View attachment 37086

Nice touch. I like it.

One item I have been thinking about for the iOS app that could maybe be implemented in Visible Tesla is some way to send an email if charging is interrupted (power failure or other events that was cause charging to stop before complete). In the same line of thinking I would love to receive a notification if the car has to been connected up to charge by a certain selected time each evening (preventing someone who comes home and forgets to plug in the car). It has happened to me a few times, not because I really forgot but because I came home, thought I would be going back out that day but didn't end up doing so and so the car was not not plugged in overnight. Just some food for thought....

I'd even go further than znino. How about a "charge started with N rated miles" and "charge completed with N rated miles" emails. That would be very useful!

There are a growing number of requests from folks who would like some sort of notification system. It's on the enhancements list on github. There are two main things holding me up. Both seem simple, but I don't have solutions for them.

First, if I allow email notifications I need to store your email username and password securely on your system. This sounds easy, but it's actually very difficult with Java (the language I'm using) with resorting to special code that needs to be written and maintained system by system (Mac, Windows, Linux). There are server based solutions that I could use, but that would incur an operational cost that I'm trying to avoid.

Second, there have been many great suggestions for what type of notifications to be able to send. One person (sorry, I'm blanking on who it was) described a fairly sophisticated interface that would allow arbitrary conditional notifications to be sent. Whatever I do, it will take a non-trivial amount of time to design, implement, and test.

As I mentioned at the outset, it is on the list of desired enhancements, but I'll have to have to work through these two issues before I can do it. Thanks very much for your suggestions.

- - - Updated - - -

jpasqua, I just want to say: Awesome documentation! Really, it's a model that I wish my other software emulated.

Thanks jimratliff. I wish I had some dedicated time to go through the document as a whole. I make edits on every release, but I haven't made sure that it all hangs together.

BTW, would you prefer it if it were a separate page per section rather than a single long document like now?

Last edited:
Anyone with Aero or Cyclone wheels, please drop me a line. I'd like to get the codes for them. I've added the images to VisibleTesla, but without knowing what codes Tesla uses to describe them, I can't display them properly.

Joe, the code for the 19" Cyclone wheels is WTTB. I don't have the wheels, but I used the online configurator to figure out the codes. For example, copy the URL in my signature and change wheel type to "WTTB" and this is what you get: https://www.teslamotors.com/configu...,PS01,AD02,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013

compositor.jpg

Unfortunately I can't do it for Aero wheels as they were removed from the Design Studio. However you could try all two-letter alphanumeric codes of WTxx in the configurator link I put above and see which one works...if you are desperate.

Here is a cute thing I added...

Beat 'cha to it #483 :smile:

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately I can't do it for Aero wheels as they were removed from the Design Studio. However you could try all two-letter alphanumeric codes of WTxx in the configurator link I put above and see which one works...if you are desperate.

Just for kicks I guessed: Code for Aero wheels is WTAE.

https://www.teslamotors.com/configu...,PS01,AD02,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011,X013

compositor.jpg

Musterion to the rescue! I guessed AE for the Aero wheels so no change necessary there, but I guessed wrong for the Cyclone wheels. I just updated that in the code and it will be there in the next minor release. Thank you.

It happened both before and after upgrading from 5.6 to 5.8. With VisibleTesla 0.21.01.

It's cold today, so I'll use the Android app today. ;)
Whatever it was, it works as it should now.
It could be that the temperature was set to 17°C or lower; when the weather is both chilly and wet I prefer to start off at a lower than normal temperature and then raise it as I drive.

Hi Joe,
Ran into an interesting situation today. I turned on trip recording yesterday. Tried to open up the trips and I briefly saw several items in the drop down list. I didn't open anything, went to another day and now I don't see any trips for either yesterday or today. What am I doing wrong?

Michael

Last edited:
Quick question. I was telling some other tesla friends about my discovery of visible tesla and how excited I was. A few of them were exhibiting fears regarding using a third party app and somehow the possibility of someone having access or control to their car ( guess with the java program running and sending some information to others etc). I told them I thought this was ridiculous but was wondering what comments people on this thread might have about that and what I could counter my friends with.

Quick question. I was telling some other tesla friends about my discovery of visible tesla and how excited I was. A few of them were exhibiting fears regarding using a third party app and somehow the possibility of someone having access or control to their car ( guess with the java program running and sending some information to others etc). I told them I thought this was ridiculous but was wondering what comments people on this thread might have about that and what I could counter my friends with.

Fellow owner is the developer.

I''ve used every release with great satisfaction. Im not really sure anyone would get a kick out of hacking a Tesla .... but it's possible with username/PW combo.

Don't worry, the NSA already has your info anyhow.

I'm sure jpasqua will chime in but I would say:

1) VisibleTesla (or anything else that uses the API) doesn't give you any more native control than the official Tesla app already does. If someone has your login and password they can use the Tesla app already for basic controls. VisibleTesla doesn't send info anywhere besides the Tesla servers (it has the option of saving locally your login info, just like the Tesla phone app). So if you are worried about this access in general, you should disable remote access in your car.

2) If you doubt any of this, unlike the official Tesla app, VisibleTesla is open source and you can download and check the source code to verify what it is doing. That's what I did before installing.

3) There are other web sites which require you to input your login and password and they are stored by the 3rd party. I personally would stay away from those; in any case, VisibleTesla doesn't do this and is just providing a different front end to the same existing conduit between you and your car via Tesla servers.

LOL .. unfortunately, some of us dont have those skills. :scared:

Ha, I'm not claiming I do either -- but there are those on the site that do and would hopefully flag for us any nefarious intent. But seriously, I've met the author @jpasqua in person when we did the spoiler debugging and I vouch for him...

Ha, I'm not claiming I do either -- but there are those on the site that do and would hopefully flag for us any nefarious intent. But seriously, I've met the author @jpasqua in person when we did the spoiler debugging and I vouch for him...

Just to be clear, I myself never had any doubt about anyone's good intention and I am very grateful for this great app that I found only a few days ago and am using ever since. I posted my comment to solicit some good come back arguments to those that were talking to me about their paranoia :)

Whatever it was, it works as it should now.
Hi Ole, that's relief because I've tried to reproduce this with no luck. I've been driving around for a week with my climate control set to Celsius to see if it was a conversion problem somewhere, but didn't have any luck. Please let me know if it crops up again. Hopefully it won't!

- - - Updated - - -

...I figured it out. I had the load data option set to none. ....

Think I should set the default for "Collect Location Data" to true? Right now it's false (unchecked).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi znino,

I don't blame your friends for being concerned. I ran Symantec Research Labs for a number of years so I have first hand knowledge of the volume and variety of attack vectors that are in the wild today. Let me tell you a little about the app that you can pass along to your friends.

The app uses https to connect to Tesla's servers which means that all communication are encrypted. It does not store or communicate the user's password. It *does* store a cookie file on the user's disk. If this cookie file falls into the hands of an attacker, they could access your vehicle. An attacker would have to have access to your computer to make this possible. The application shares no information with me or anyone else other than Tesla. I'd actually love to collect some aggregate statistics (not user identifiable) but I've refrained from doing so because I don't want to create even a perception that users are being spied upon. I don't even know how many people have tried VT.

Other than communicating with Tesla, the app does download up to 3 files from a different source - dropbox. The first file is a list of the releases. The app uses this to determine whether a newer release is available. If a new release is available, the user can click a link to see the most recent release notes (they are also on dropbox). Finally, if the user chooses to download the latest release, it will download that from dropbox. No user information is shared in this process.

As @musterion points out, the code is open source and posted on github. I welcome anyone to look at it and let me know of any security vulnerabilities that might be present. I understand that not everyone has the time, interest, or inclination to do that, but it is an option for some.

Thanks for your interest in VisibleTesla. I'm not a developer for a living anymore and this project has been a really fun way to keep at least some of those old skills going.

- - - Updated - - -

@musterion is an honorary VisibleTesla developer. Without his help I'm not sure when I would have figured the infamous spoiler bug. BTW, this problem is still in the images in the latest version of the iPhone app.

Last edited:
Limitation in the Trips Tab

Folks, there is a limitation in the Trips tab that I forgot to mention in the release notes or documentation. At the moment, the only trips that will show up are those that were present when the app launched. So if you launched that app on Dec 3 at 10:00AM, it would have ingested all previous data and made those available as trips. If you take a drive at 11:00 am to 11:15 AM, that trip will not be visible until the next time you launch the app.

Right now the way the Trips tab works is that it processes all of the stored data at launch time and doesn't add to it while the app is running. The new data gets written to disk for next time, but it is ignored by the Trips tab. I will improve this next time around. Sorry for any confusion this caused.