Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone still running Visible Tesla on macOS High Sierra ver 10.13.6? If so, are you having any issues with it not logging anything other than the charging data? Everything had been working fine for me up until earlier this month, Mar 6 around 6 pm EDT, when I stopped getting any of the streaming data. I actually have installed VT on an old Windows machine I had sitting around and tried logging a couple days there and also not getting streaming data (vehicle speed, GPS, odometer, etc).

I've not had a software update in 2016 refresh MS90D since Feb 15 (2018.50.6), done multiple reboots of both MCU and IP in my car since then, and has no influence.

I realize VT no longer supported, but I've stayed with it as it meets my needs and I'm one of those that don't really like having my data or credentials on someone's server. Would like to get it working again, but haven't been successful in figuring out.

I'd write my own application, but have to admit it's been just a few years since I've done any serious coding, like Fortran 77 days, so would have a ton of work to get my skills back up to level to build my own application.

So I have to again ask, anyone still running VisibleTesla on macOS High Sierra (such that it actually runs)? I’ve chosen on my MacBook Air to not upgrade OS now for over a year just so I can continue to run VT as I’ve not found anything that allows me to keep my data local plus not have to store any credentials on some server.

Reason I ask is that after not having been able to get any streaming data for over a year-and-a-half I started recently seeing some streaming data show up. This first happened about two weeks ago, started seeing a few intermittent data points (odometer and GPS coordinates show up) when I exported the charge cycles (main thing I use VT to collect). Since about last weekend it appears I am consistently getting streaming data. This isn’t just for the charge cycles, but it will recognize vehicle in motion and consistently log streaming data over a drive cycle. That’s obviously being triggered off my set preferences for logging frequency based upon distance since last point as I’m getting data even if I have VT set to be in sleep mode.

Just curious if anyone else, I guess either on MacOS or Windows platforms have also noticed streaming data to have suddenly start reappearing.

• Informative
Reactions: Benjamin Brooks
So I have to again ask, anyone still running VisibleTesla on macOS High Sierra (such that it actually runs)? I’ve chosen on my MacBook Air to not upgrade OS now for over a year just so I can continue to run VT as I’ve not found anything that allows me to keep my data local plus not have to store any credentials on some server.

Reason I ask is that after not having been able to get any streaming data for over a year-and-a-half I started recently seeing some streaming data show up. This first happened about two weeks ago, started seeing a few intermittent data points (odometer and GPS coordinates show up) when I exported the charge cycles (main thing I use VT to collect). Since about last weekend it appears I am consistently getting streaming data. This isn’t just for the charge cycles, but it will recognize vehicle in motion and consistently log streaming data over a drive cycle. That’s obviously being triggered off my set preferences for logging frequency based upon distance since last point as I’m getting data even if I have VT set to be in sleep mode.

Just curious if anyone else, I guess either on MacOS or Windows platforms have also noticed streaming data to have suddenly start reappearing.

I was using it for 4 years but on Windows mostly and switched over to TeslaMate, so can't help you with current behavior.
But I found an alternate open source product.
It can run locally on Mac/Windows in Dockers. So password stays on your local machine.
A little more involved than VT but many more data points recorded!
Latest thread on this tool here: TeslaMate update

BELOW in yellow (no strikethrough on this forum) IS NOT TRUE ANYMORE,
Sorry... just found out Google Cloud's instance won't work anymore!
Haven't had time to check why, but latest posts in mentionned thread, are offering other Cloud options or Pi4 if you prefer.
I'm now running it in the GoogleCloud after following this step-by-step guide that one of this forum member created and discussed in mentionned thread:
How to setup and run TeslaMate for free on Google Cloud - TeslaEV.co.uk

So password is in the Cloud...but my Cloud

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone else still follows this thread, but have one question if anyone can help.

I'm trying to get into my old VisibleTesla data files. I thought I'd expoerted all my data to csv files before the recent change in OAuth2 login rendered VT totally useless for me, but found I messed up and have a month of data missing.
I think I've located the datafiles, but not sure the formats and how I can read them. I know this was written in Java, but I'm not Java literate. I have gotten dangerous with basic python so was hoping I could my old data into a data frame using something like a pandas read command.

I've tried reading the file as .json and .csv, but don't get anything meaningful.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it. I've created my old logger that gives me similar functionality but I was hoping to be able to merge my old and new data logs.

Thanks in advance in case anyone can help guide me.
PCMc.

Reactions: Benjamin Brooks