Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, thanks again for this incredible application. I am living in France part-time while my Model S resides still in the US. It is wonderful to be able to connect remotely and have more control as compared to the Tesla app on the iPhone. Second, I am not sure if this function is available, but would it be possible to trigger a firmware update for the car (or see if one is available)? I am still on 4.5 and would love to do the update before I get back to the US so I can drive the car right away (rather than waiting for the update to complete). Many thanks again.

Hello Meursault. I'm glad you're enjoying the app. Unfortunately there is no way to trigger a software update remotely or even know that a software update is available. In the car you get that little alarm clock icon when an update is available, but the car's API does not provide that information.

I get WiFi in my home garage but not 3G. When the car is asleep (charge cord connected), I can't contact it with the app, or VT. If I go out to the car and wake it with the FOB and open the door both apps connect as advertised. If it's sleeping and I launch VT I get this:

Deep Sleep.jpg

What is "deep sleep?" Is this a VT term, or is it an actual MS term?

Still trying to understand unusual stuff about sleep mode.

I get WiFi in my home garage but not 3G. When the car is asleep (charge cord connected), I can't contact it with the app, or VT. If I go out to the car and wake it with the FOB and open the door both apps connect as advertised. If it's sleeping and I launch VT I get this:

What is "deep sleep?" Is this a VT term, or is it an actual MS term?

Still trying to understand unusual stuff about sleep mode.

Hi Al, "deep sleep" is just a VT term. This dialog comes up when VT is trying to wake a sleeping vehicle but hasn't been able to after repeated attempts. Now that I have version 5.8 I will configure the car with wifi, let it go to sleep, and see if I can wake it up. This won't be a foolproof test because my car will still be in 3G range in addition to being connected via wifi. Who knows whether the car will try using both. I won't get around to this until the weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Hi Al, "deep sleep" is just a VT term. This dialog comes up when VT is trying to wake a sleeping vehicle but hasn't been able to after repeated attempts. Now that I have version 5.8 I will configure the car with wifi, let it go to sleep, and see if I can wake it up. This won't be a foolproof test because my car will still be in 3G range in addition to being connected via wifi. Who knows whether the car will try using both. I won't get around to this until the weekend. I'll let you know what happens.

Saw this in the WiFi thread, thought you might be interested (for testing purposes)
if you have deep sleep enabled (power saving) wifi turns off,

VisibleTesla 0.23.00

VisibleTesla 0.23.00 is available for download here, or just just use "Help->Check for Updates".

VisibleTesla 0.23.00 [11-22-13]

• User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • Added experimental support for proxy servers. If you don't know what proxy servers are and are able to login using VisibleTesla, you can completely ignore this feature. I don't have a great way to test this, hence the experimental status. I will work on creating a test network environment with an http proxy but also welcome feedback from users.
    • Login
    • Overview
    • HVAC
      • Changed the temperature control interface. Rather than simulating the car's actual temperature control which has buttons that move the target temperature up or down by one degree, there is now a slider that allows the user to select a specific temperature without having to click repeatedly. When the car is in Celsius mode, the slider ranges from 18 to 27 degrees and has steps at every half degree (18, 18.5, 19, 195, etc.). When the car is in Fahrenheit mode, the slider ranges from 65 to 80 degrees with stops at every degree. VisibleTesla displays the numberic temperature corresponding to the slider position in real time as the slider moves, however, the app only sends a command to the car when the user finally stops moving the slider. This reduces unneccesary communication with the car and with Tesla's servers.
    • Graphs
    • Scheduler
      • Fixed: Problem introduced in version 0.22.01 where "Charge: Low", "Charge: Std", and "Charge: Max" would fail.
      • For commands other than going into Sleep mode, VisibleTesla will attempt to wake the car before the command is issued. It will also retry any command that fails on the first attempt.
    • Preferences
      • General: Experimental. Added a set of fields to the advanced preferences that allow the user to specify an http proxy to be used for all operations. To use this feature, check the "Enable Proxy" checkbox and fill in valid settings for "Proxy Host" and "Proxy Port". Your network administrator will provide these settings to you. Note that this is an HTTP proxy, not a SOCKS proxy.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Added a RefreshLater mechanism. Sometimes when issuing a command, the effect does not take place immediately and therefore is not reflected in the UI until the next refresh. The refreshlater mechanism allows VisibleTesla to wait a short period after issuing a command to do the automatic refresh.
  • Known problems
    • Same "heading after sleep" problem as the previous release.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw this in the WiFi thread, thought you might be interested (for testing purposes)

Thanks David. That explains a lot. I'll confirm that is the behavior with my car as well.

Help Needed

Tesla has released a new version of the iPhone app which contains images for the new Aero and Cyclone wheels. I've incorporated the code and images into VisibleTesla to support these new wheels, but I don't know the codes that Tesla uses to represent them.

If you have a car with either type of wheel, I'd appreciate your help. Just go to the Overview tab and hit the "Details" button. A dialog box will pop up with all sorts of information. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and you'll see some text that looks something like this:

Code:
Low level information: {"color":null,"display_name":null,"id":0070,"option_codes":"MS02,RENA,TM00,DRLH,PF00,BT60,PMTG,RFPO,
WT19,IPMG,IDLW,TR00,SU01,SC01,TP01,AU00,CH01,HP01,PA00,PS00,AD02,X014,X020,X025,X001,X003,X007,X011","state":"online",
"tokens":["34243","23434"],"user_id":4567,"vehicle_id":1234567,"vin":"P08714"}

You'll notice that one of the items begins with the letters WT. That stands for Wheel Type. In my case it is WT19 which represents the original 19" wheel design.

If you have one of the new wheel types, it will be something else. That's what I'm trying to figure out. If you have a chance, please take a look at this and let me know what type of wheels you have and your WT code.

Thanks!

I just got the Aero wheels mounted in the Brussels SC but I am not sure if they changed anything on the s/w config apart from activating the TPMS for 19" rim used for the winter tires (I come from 21" grey rims for summer tires). One evidence of this is that the Aero wheels don't show up on the central touch screen. Maybe the on board computer (v5.8) has not been updated with latest Aero graphics so it may not be relevant to VT.

So I checked the details on VT v0.23.00 and I could see "WTSP". Would this be the code you are looking for? Would this code match the Aero wheels?

Tomorrow, I will try to switch the TPMS back to the 21" and check the code on VT again. Just in case there is a link there. Otherwise I will contact the SC to enquire.

Last edited:
It shows supercharger as false for me. I got the option after i bought the car. I just confirmed with tesla person who helped me with the transaction and he said that supercharger is now enabled in my car and I am good to go.

I guess i should email him and let him know what i am seeing. Has any one had supercharging enabled while they were at a supercharger? There is one open in MI but not close enough, so cant just go and test it out.

It shows supercharger as false for me.

Hello ohaq. Can you tell me what you mean specifically when you say that it shows supercharger as false? Do you mean that when you hit the "Details" button in the Overview tab that it says "Supercharger: false" in the Charging section? Or do you mean that when you go to the Charging tab it shows "Supercharger No"?

I suspect you mean the former and I suspect that when they added the option they did not reset the setting indicating that you are now supercharger-capable.

The "Trips" Tab

Here's a preview of what's coming next: the Trips tab.

VisibleTesla will soon give you the option of storing Location data. If you enable this, then you'll be able to use the new Trips tab to review your outings. Here's what the tab looks like so far:

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.39.50 PM.png

It's a calendar that lets you select one or more days. When you've done so, you'll be able to look at a drop down list that shows you all of your trips for that day (or days). A trip is meant to correspond to a discrete outing such as driving to/from work or going out to dinner and then back. Each of those would be a distinct trip. Select one of trips from the list and hit "Map it!". When you do, a new browser window will appear with a Google map that plots the selected trip. The map will contain a marker showing the location of the vehicle every time a reading was taken. If you hover your mouse above one of these markers, it will show you when the car was at that location and the speed it was traveling at the time. Here's a small piece of one output map:

Screen Shot 2013-11-28 at 10.46.02 PM.png

There are a few preferences that go along with all of this and a large number of changes under the covers to facilitate this and other future changes.

This stuff takes a long time to test because I need to drive the car (what a hardship :)) to shake out the bugs. Hopefully I'll be able to release it this weekend some time.

--- UPDATE ---

I forgot to mention that for a much more sophisticated and flexible way of collecting and visualizing data from your car, please look at the teslams tools for telemetry visualization.

Last edited:
Thanks Go4IT. You're right, they didn't update your settings. WTSP corresponds to the grey 21" wheels.
If the SC has any clues, I'd appreciate hearing them.

I just received an email confirmation from the SC that they didn't updated the settings which explains why the code still reports WTSP for the grey 21" wheels. They will do at my next visit but apparently cannot do it remotely.

As I will be swapping tires every 6 month myself (I store everything home, not at the SC), I was wondering if, once this setting is included at the first swap, if the wheel selection would be somehow linked to the TPMS reset selector (21"/19"). This question may not be directly related to VT but you might know since your are more familiar with config data over the air.

...I was wondering if, once this setting is included at the first swap, if the wheel selection would be somehow linked to the TPMS reset selector (21"/19"). ...

I haven't seen evidence of this or read about it in the community. From what I've seen, they have to change the setting manually. If anyone else has knowledge or data points to the contrary, please let us know.

VisibleTesla will soon give you the option of storing Location data. If you enable this, then you'll be able to use the new Trips tab to review your outings. Here's what the tab looks like so far:

I wonder if you could correlate this with occasional battery level reading so that an energy usage graph or some kind of energy usage for the trip could be displayed? This would be really handy to see what parts of the trip used the most/least energy. At least initial and final energy usage readings for a trip would be handy.

Guys, first off great work on this app jpasqua and all other who have contributed. Random idea I got while using the mobile app today from home following as my wife was driving the car. How cool would it be to follow the car driving in Google Street View mode? Not sure if this could be made to work, if Google even allows for such use of their street view data, and if it would update quickly enough to give a fluid experience... but it would be cool. (As you can tell I'm not a programmer by profession)

Yes Supercharger: false under details.

Hello ohaq. Can you tell me what you mean specifically when you say that it shows supercharger as false? Do you mean that when you hit the "Details" button in the Overview tab that it says "Supercharger: false" in the Charging section? Or do you mean that when you go to the Charging tab it shows "Supercharger No"?

I suspect you mean the former and I suspect that when they added the option they did not reset the setting indicating that you are now supercharger-capable.

I wonder if you could correlate this with occasional battery level reading so that an energy usage graph or some kind of energy usage for the trip could be displayed? This would be really handy to see what parts of the trip used the most/least energy. At least initial and final energy usage readings for a trip would be handy.

I like that idea. I'll add it to the list on github and give it some thought. Thanks.

Hey, you cut the corner at Marsh Road. I can't tell you how many times I wish I could do that ;-)
He crashed through an Atherton wall or two?! :) Yup, one big choke point there.

Yeah, there is one map where I drive right through the cemetery at the corner of Santa Cruz Ave and Avy in Menlo Park. Not cool :)

- - - Updated - - -

Guys, first off great work on this app jpasqua and all other who have contributed. Random idea I got while using the mobile app today from home following as my wife was driving the car. How cool would it be to follow the car driving in Google Street View mode? Not sure if this could be made to work, if Google even allows for such use of their street view data, and if it would update quickly enough to give a fluid experience... but it would be cool. (As you can tell I'm not a programmer by profession)

Hi Johan, I thought about this idea but haven't had time to investigate it. Take a look at this post and you'll see a comment about "virtual driver mode". Also look at this post by @hans who describes something similar he has already done with Google Earth.