Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Used to work on earlier versions but since 19 - I get 'Exception while running application' error - any suggestions on what to check
Running on a PC...

Sorry you're having a problem. I haven't seen that message or had it reported. Would you PM me a screen shot of exactly what's going on? Are there any other Windows users out there who have seen this?

steve841: Thanks for the datapoint.

Jason: I'm not sure why anything would have changed from version 0.18 to 0.19, but in searching around for this error, it seems that it may be related to the version of JavaFX you have on your system. JavaFX is bundled with Java - you don't download it separately. If you haven't already done so, you might check to see whether you have the latest version of Java installed on your machine. You can always find the latest version here: How do I manually download and install Java for my Windows computer?

steve841: Thanks for the datapoint.

Jason: I'm not sure why anything would have changed from version 0.18 to 0.19, but in searching around for this error, it seems that it may be related to the version of JavaFX you have on your system. JavaFX is bundled with Java - you don't download it separately. If you haven't already done so, you might check to see whether you have the latest version of Java installed on your machine. You can always find the latest version here: How do I manually download and install Java for my Windows computer?

I went and installed java 32 and 64 - now it works fine (.19)
Thanks!

VisibleTesla 0.19.04

You can download VisibleTesla 0.19.04 here.

Sorry to blast out two minor versions in short succession, but I'm back on the road again tomorrow and I wanted to get some changes out there before I disappear. This version includes a revamped
"File->Export Graph Data..." function and some other minor fixes. There is no burning reason to upgrade to this version unless you use export a lot or are just adventurous!

VisibleTesla 0.19.04 [2013-09-15]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
      • The "File->Export Graph Data..." menu item has been revamped.
        1. It now exports an excel spreadsheet rather than a CSV.
        2. It creates a table with all the fields in each row for a given timestamp.
        3. It appends a column with a human-readable date value corresponging to the timestamp so you don't have to add a formula for this yourself. It displays all dates in the US Pacific time zone. For other time zones look at the formula and replace the "-8" with the time zone offset you want.
    • Login
    • Overview
      • Added a label displaying the last part of the VIN of the vehicle; e.g., P08714.
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
      • When the mouse enters the chart area it turns into a crosshair shape. This makes it easier to precisely position the mouse over a point whose value you want to see int he readout.
      • Fixed: The readout showing the value currently under the mouse was off by a small amount. This has been fixed.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Fixed: The Graphs tab would write duplicate entries to the data file. This would not show up to the user, but the entries would appear in the file created by "File -> Export Graph Data...".
  • Known problems

Scheduling

Hi Folks,

There have been periodic requests for basic scheduling functionality in VisibleTesla. I've researched it a bit and prototyped something pretty basic. As discussed earlier in this thread, it will require that the app be running in order to be functional. We've also discussed the fact that there are other ways to get scheduling functionality right now based on your system's scheduler (eg cron) and teslams. I encourage people to look at that option.

In VisibleTesla I would provide a tab that looks like this:
Screen Shot 2013-09-19 at 8.33.51 PM.png

Each row represents a command that can be scheduled independently. There are 8 rows meaning that up to 8 distinct schedules can be set.

The fields for each row are as follows:
On?: If selected then this schedule is active. If not selected, VT will remember the scheduled event, but not execute it.
Sunday-Saturday: The scheduled event will be executed only on the selected days.
Time: The time at which the command will be executed. Minutes can be specified with a granularity of 5 minutes (00, 05, 10, ...)
Safe: If selected, the command will only be executed if there is at least 25% charge remaining on the battery. Otherwise it will be ignored.
Command: The command to execute. Choices are: HVAC On, HVAC Off, Start Charging, Stop Charging, and None.

The schedules you set will be saved persistently and loaded each time VT starts. The first time the scheduler panel is used, I'll pop up a disclaimer dialog with all of the limitations and warnings to ensure people aren't surprised by how it operates.

At this point I have not integrated this into VisibleTesla. It is a standalone prototype. Once I get some solid time to work on it, I will create an experimental version of VT for early adopters to try out.

Hi Folks,

There have been periodic requests for basic scheduling functionality in VisibleTesla. I've researched it a bit and prototyped something pretty basic. As discussed earlier in this thread, it will require that the app be running in order to be functional. We've also discussed the fact that there are other ways to get scheduling functionality right now based on your system's scheduler (eg cron) and teslams. I encourage people to look at that option.

In VisibleTesla I would provide a tab that looks like this:
View attachment 30973
Each row represents a command that can be scheduled independently. There are 8 rows meaning that up to 8 distinct schedules can be set.

The fields for each row are as follows:
On?: If selected then this schedule is active. If not selected, VT will remember the scheduled event, but not execute it.
Sunday-Saturday: The scheduled event will be executed only on the selected days.
Time: The time at which the command will be executed. Minutes can be specified with a granularity of 5 minutes (00, 05, 10, ...)
Safe: If selected, the command will only be executed if there is at least 25% charge remaining on the battery. Otherwise it will be ignored.
Command: The command to execute. Choices are: HVAC On, HVAC Off, Start Charging, Stop Charging, and None.

The schedules you set will be saved persistently and loaded each time VT starts. The first time the scheduler panel is used, I'll pop up a disclaimer dialog with all of the limitations and warnings to ensure people aren't surprised by how it operates.

At this point I have not integrated this into VisibleTesla. It is a standalone prototype. Once I get some solid time to work on it, I will create an experimental version of VT for early adopters to try out.

Wow, that looks very cool! Also the teslams and cron solution is a good/solid one, it's nice to have things in a GUI that people are likely more comfortable with.

Thanks a lot for doing this and for keeping this project going. I, for one, use it daily.

Rob

Joe,
Very nice intuitive layout.

I think this question has been answered before. What is the polling interval of the program? In looking at the graph it seems to be about 4 minutes.

Also, could there be an option to control that interval by the user?

Thanks

Joe,
Very nice intuitive layout.

I think this question has been answered before. What is the polling interval of the program? In looking at the graph it seems to be about 4 minutes.

Also, could there be an option to control that interval by the user?

Thanks

There are several different time intervals at play in the program:
  • When displaying any of the tabs other than Graphs (or login), the autorefresh interval is 20 seconds.
  • The Graphs tab uses a somewhat dynamic interval. It starts at 20 seconds when the Graphs tab is first viewed. For every period that passes, I do a crude measure of how much change there was since the last reading. If the level of change is below a threshold, then the refresh interval is doubled to a maximum of 5 minutes. If the change is above the threshold, then the refresh time is cut in half down to a minimum of 20 seconds. The goal is to take more samples while there is activity and less samples when nothing is going on. This algorithm doesn't really achieve what I want and it will probably be tweaked.
  • The new scheduler functionality will not poll. It will wake up at the minute closest to the next scheduled event, take an action if appropriate, then go back to sleep. All other auto-refresh and graph data collection will proceed as usual.

I need to be careful about hitting the Tesla servers too frequently. I don't want individual users to get email from Tesla about taxing their servers (I did once when) and I don't want the aggregate load to get too high.

I still want to do something better for dynamic polling in graph collection. Perhaps increasing the time resolution when the car is in motion or using other heuristics. Same is true on the location tab. I've been thinking about when to put it into streaming mode so it really is more of a live update.

Strange Graph on v0.19.04.
before I shut the app down the lines were vertical. After reopening the application the lines had a bit of a slant to them. (Voltage, Current, Rate of Charge)
View attachment 31015

This is an artifact of the way I'm optimizing the storage of the data. I've been having an offline conversation with @musterion about related issues. I will improve this but I need to put some thought into how to best represent gaps in the collected data. I'm somewhat limited by the graph widget that I'm using. It's definitely on the list.

Thanks for the report!

I'm unable to login to 0.19.04 (and several previous version), using a freshly-installed Java on Windows 7.

I'm not getting any complaints or messges: it just spins for a minute and does nothing.

Advice?

Sorry you're having trouble. Several questions:
* I assume you can log in via your mobile app right?
* Are you entering a username/password or doing an auto-login? It will do the latter if you have ever selected the "Remember Me" checkbox in the past
* When the app is not running, go into the VisibleTesla folder and delete the file cookies.txt if it exists
* Start the app again and enter your username/password to login
* If it still fails, would you send me a screen shot via PM of what the login tab looks like after it fails?

Answers to your questions:

I can indeed log in from my Android mobile app. I even tried changing to a password without special characters which didn't fix my problem, but did force me to log in again from my phone. All of that still works without helping Visible Android.

I am explicitly entering my username and password.

I have deleted the cookies.txt file, as well as the entire directories of older versions of Visible Android, just in case.

It still fails.

Sending the screenshot via PM...

Answers to your questions:

I can indeed log in from my Android mobile app. I even tried changing to a password without special characters which didn't fix my problem, but did force me to log in again from my phone. All of that still works without helping Visible Android.

I am explicitly entering my username and password.

I have deleted the cookies.txt file, as well as the entire directories of older versions of Visible Android, just in case.

It still fails.

Sending the screenshot via PM...

Thanks for sending the log via PM. It was very helpful. I'll create a test fix for you to try (sometime today I hope) and send you a link privately.

Strange Graph on v0.19.04.
before I shut the app down the lines were vertical. After reopening the application the lines had a bit of a slant to them. (Voltage, Current, Rate of Charge)

This is an artifact of the way I'm optimizing the storage of the data. I've been having an offline conversation with @musterion about related issues. I will improve this but I need to put some thought into how to best represent gaps in the collected data. I'm somewhat limited by the graph widget that I'm using. It's definitely on the list.

Thanks for the report!
Just wanted to update you on my strange graph. I know you are working on it but thought I would give you another look at it with some more data...
after I did an Excel export, it appears that the graphing portion of the application stopped working, up but the rest of the application continued working normally.
I didn't discover this until I plugged in to recharge today and my graph didn't move to match what the Charge tab was reporting. I tried to shutdown to restart the application and my Java locked.
here is the current graph.
Strange graph2.jpg

Just wanted to update you on my strange graph. I know you are working on it but thought I would give you another look at it with some more data...
after I did an Excel export, it appears that the graphing portion of the application stopped working, up but the rest of the application continued working normally.
I didn't discover this until I plugged in to recharge today and my graph didn't move to match what the Charge tab was reporting. I tried to shutdown to restart the application and my Java locked.
here is the current graph.

Wow dsmith2189, the Graphs tab really isn't treating you well.

Can you tell me when this screenshot was taken? was it before or after you did the export which seemed to freeze the graph? Is this from before or after Java hung and you had to restart? I've tried recreating the Java hang after exporting but haven't been able to.

The next version (0.20.00) will be out soon (probably tomorrow night), but will be experimental due to the complexity of the changes. In addition to the fix for your (first) problem it will also include the scheduler and changes requested by @musterion to provide more control over how the data is displayed. You'll be able to chose either lines (like now), dots where the readings were actually taken, or both lines and dots.

Wow dsmith2189, the Graphs tab really isn't treating you well.

Can you tell me when this screenshot was taken? was it before or after you did the export which seemed to freeze the graph? Is this from before or after Java hung and you had to restart? I've tried recreating the Java hang after exporting but haven't been able to.

The next version (0.20.00) will be out soon (probably tomorrow night), but will be experimental due to the complexity of the changes. In addition to the fix for your (first) problem it will also include the scheduler and changes requested by @musterion to provide more control over how the data is displayed. You'll be able to chose either lines (like now), dots where the readings were actually taken, or both lines and dots.

screen shot was taken after restarting VisibleTesla. I took one before restarting but the line endings looked normal (they just hadn't moved since the export) and I overwrote that with the final graph which looked more interesting.
the export was done on 9/23 at 8AM. At about the point where everything converges on "0" (it did not converge prior to the restart.) I noticed about 9/23 about 6PM.
the java hung on File/Close.

Here is what is in my application log at the time of this error. (not much to work with...)

Error 9/23/2013 6:25:24 PM Windows Operating System; Version: 6.1.7600.16385; Event ID: 1002; Event Source: Application Hang;
The program javaw.exe version 7.0.250.17 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 23d8
Start Time: 01ceb63b324c1355
Termination Time: 33
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe
Report Id: 4e3358e7-24d1-11e3-9092-90e6ba3a42bc

Information 9/23/2013 6:25:24 PM Windows Error Reporting
Fault bucket 50, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: javaw.exe
P2: 7.0.250.17
P3: 51c4b3ff
P4: 4caf
P5: 0
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WER9881.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA36B.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Xxxxxxxx\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_javaw.exe_b585888dbe6e74118a8be512056d3209fd2fcf4_73ffb870

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 4e3358e7-24d1-11e3-9092-90e6ba3a42bc
Report Status: 0

Last edited: