Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Activating Graph Collection

I realized that the following is not in the Release Notes or Documentation so I'll mention it here until I update those files.

When you start VisibleTesla it does not automatically start collecting graph data. It only starts collecting data when you select the Graphs tab. This was by design though it can be argued that the collection should start immediately (feedback welcome). I believe this has impacted users who wanted collect information over night, but never switched to the Graph tab and therefore didn't end up collecting any information. Once you go to the Graphs tab once, it will continue collecting information in the background even if you switch to another tab.

Also ... could depend on your firewall settings. Especially behind a corporate firewall.

Yep... It works fine for me at home, but not at work... Oddly the iOS app works fine when on wifi at work -- but I think that's because of different proxy settings for PCs/Macs (that require log-in to access external sites) and iOS (which doesn't require that login)...

Hi JPasqua,
I wanted to thank you for creating this fabulous program. I've been running .19 and it works great.

Especially useful is the graphing. I have left the program running on my work computer for about 4 days and it runs flawlessly.

In observing some of the data, I have some observations that I'd like to pass on and some clearer labels for the items.
1. Voltage line is AC volts into the car
2. Current is AC current into the car
3. Power is DC power into the battery pack.

I'd like to suggest updating the graph labels to the following
AC Voltage
AC Current
DC Battery Power

There is one more parameter that is not graphed. That is the battery current. With the values of battery current and battery power available, pack voltage can be calculated by Ohms law E=P/I. This would be another useful parameter to graph.

I think it would also be useful to update the Charging Data table units to Amps AC, Volts AC and change charger power to Battery Power.

Since we can use AC voltage and AC current to calculate input power, by using battery power it is now possible to calculate efficiency. I've always wondered how much more power it would take to charge at 5A for 36 hours.

Any clue why I cannot log in to the app. I'm on a MacBookPro running 10.8.4 with the latest Java installed. I can launch the .jar, get the login page, enter my e-mail and my password (which contains lower and upper case letters and numbers--no symbols). The refresh gear spins, then nothing. No joy. And, yes, my iPhone app works (stays logged in) and can see my S. I do know that there are problems with the TM site today/tonight.

Thx.

Any clue why I cannot log in to the app. I'm on a MacBookPro running 10.8.4 with the latest Java installed. I can launch the .jar, get the login page, enter my e-mail and my password (which contains lower and upper case letters and numbers--no symbols). The refresh gear spins, then nothing. No joy. And, yes, my iPhone app works (stays logged in) and can see my S. I do know that there are problems with the TM site today/tonight.

Thx.

It seems they still have some issues with their systems. New logins appear to fail right now

Thanks MichaelS. I will get at least one of your suggestions implemented soon. I will add "Battery Current" as another tracked value in the graphs tab. I will also likely add tooltips to each of the labels that says a little more about what they are. Also, there will be an "Export Graph Data..." item in the File menu. It will dump a CSV file of all of the stored graph data. If I can I'll get this out tomorrow - otherwise it will be a while before I can get to it.

Of course if you really want to get lots of data about your car in a much more sophisticated way, you should look at "TeslaMS tools for telemetry data visualization". If you're not already aware, teslams is a cool package of programs that allow all sorts of access, control, and stats collection. visualize.js is part of the teslams project and has lots of cool charts and graphs based on the data that you can collect. hans and dirkhh are creators / heavy contributors to that project.

So .... .as I have "slept on" jpasqua's wonderful piece of programming ... I wonder why can't a timer be added? I'd love to preset my a/c to come on at certain times on certain days...

As a programming simpleton, seems like it would be a straight forward add on.

Hi steve841,

I have thought about it. If you look at this post and others nearby, you'll see the discussion. It came up in the context of starting the charging process at a certain time.

I'm not against adding this to VisibleTesla, but there are several reasons I haven't done so yet:
  1. App and computer need to be running all the time: The app has to be running all the time for the timer to work. If the app isn't running, your timer won't start. That could be quite annoying. I could avoid this by integrating into your computer's built-in timer functions, but I would have to make a special version for every operating system (Mac, Windows, Linux). That's what makes it very complicated now and in the future.
  2. Potential Battery Drain. I'm afraid people will accidentally kill their battery! So far VisibleTesla will only activate a function in the car when the user explicitly takes an action. You have to press "On" in the HVAC tab to turn on the AC. It is very clear what is happening. If there is a timer, then VisibleTesla will be taking an action on it's own that could end up using a non-trivial amount of power from your car. If something goes wrong, it could drain your battery. Even if nothing went wrong, what if you simply forget to turn off the timer when you really didn't want it running any more? I could pop-up a big disclaimer any time an event is scheduled. it would ensure that people understand the implications and agree to them.
  3. Testing. Though the code is fairly simple (user interface would be the most complicated piece), the testing is quite time consuming. It's easy to test things that are happening soon, but harder to do thorough testing on things that will happen days away. It would have to be released as a beta feature and be used by people for a few weeks before it could go into general circulation.

I'm not saying I won't add it, but this is what has kept me from doing it so far. I'm interested in your feedback.

Please note that there is a way to do this right now using the teslams package and tools the timer system built into your computer's operating system. Here is an example for the mac of starting the charger at a certain time. It was created by hans.

1 and 2.. I was conscious that the computer would need to be on....I'd place it on one of my web servers....
But, since you have created saved login, you could allow an app schedule to launch the app based on the computers timer and run the scheduled task as set by user? Or if you want to keep it app based, kill scheduled tasks and app when SOC is less than 25%?
I agree the OS differences are a headache.. But 2 OSs are basically ~90% of those out there...
When wifi is fully enabled, connectivity should not be any worry for most folks. My S will have access at home and work to wifi.

As I understand, the car will shut off A/C after 30 min... So drain should not be a major issue due to this aspect. Or, the car would be plugged in (you could even give an option that these "scheduled tasks only function when plugged in" as another safety measure).

Possibilities are limitless!!! I like where this is going! Scheduled pre heating/cooling would be great!

I am happy to contribute a tiny bit to your wonderful program.

I've been reading the other threads but setting up the streaming version is much more complicated. I just don't have the time to learn it. You program is super easy to install. Plus your program provides 98% of the information I would on a day to day basis.

Adding the battery current, calculated pack voltage and calculated charging efficiency in percent would be perfect.

Thank you.

Thanks MichaelS. I will get at least one of your suggestions implemented soon. I will add "Battery Current" as another tracked value in the graphs tab. I will also likely add tooltips to each of the labels that says a little more about what they are. Also, there will be an "Export Graph Data..." item in the File menu. It will dump a CSV file of all of the stored graph data. If I can I'll get this out tomorrow - otherwise it will be a while before I can get to it.

Of course if you really want to get lots of data about your car in a much more sophisticated way, you should look at "TeslaMS tools for telemetry data visualization". If you're not already aware, teslams is a cool package of programs that allow all sorts of access, control, and stats collection. visualize.js is part of the teslams project and has lots of cool charts and graphs based on the data that you can collect. hans and dirkhh are creators / heavy contributors to that project.

VisibleTesla 0.19.02

VisibleTesla 0.19.02 can be downloaded here.

This is an incremental update to version 0.19 and a large update to version 0.18. Please look here for release notes for version 0.19. This is mostly bug fixes, the addition of one variable to the graphs tab, and the ability to export graph data. As always, please save your previous version and data files. Don't overwrite or delete the previous version until you have successfully installed the new version. Quit the old version before copying data files between versions (yes, I will get around to auto-update).

VisibleTesla 0.19.02 [2013-09-07]
  • User-Visible Changes
    • General
    • Login
    • Overview
      • Fixed: The Details button in the lower right area of the tab would not stay in the proper position when the window was resized.
    • HVAC
    • Graphs
      • There is a new item in the File menu titled "Export Graph Data...". It does just what the name implies; namely, it exports all of the data collected by the graph tab. It saves it as a CSV file in a location that you choose. CSV files can be opened by Excel and many other applications.
      • Added tooltips to the labels in the "Show Items" list which give a bit more information on what each item represents.
      • Added a new variable: Battery Current.
      • Fixed: The value readout was displaying the wrong values.
      • Fixed: The reset button in the lower left corner of the chart would not stay in the proper position when the window was resized.
  • Under-the-covers
    • Added a FobIcon.ico file to the application folder for Windows users. You need not do anything with this file, but you may use it to add an icon to the app if you wish. This is in addition to the FobIcon.png file in the same location.
  • Known problems
    • When quitting the app on a Mac, the app icon will sometimes linger in the dock. Clicking on it makes it go away.