Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Slow Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Electrician just wired a NEMA 14-30 receptical to a 240V 30A breaker. 10/3 cable approximately 40 feet. I'm using the latest Tesla Mobile Connector with the NEMA 14-30 adapter. The documentation shows an expected charging rate of 21 miles per hour, 33 KM. My Model Y LR is only ever charging at 17 KM/Hr. Charging indicates 24/24A and 117V but only 17 km/hr charging speed. Any thoughts on why I'm not getting ~33 km/hr? Thanks a lot.

Who cares about "km/hr" or whatever? That's a Tesla-centric measure and will vary depending on the vehicle + other factors (supply voltage (which has some variance) and amperage).

117 volts * 24 amps = 2808 watts = 2.808 kW. So, for each hour, ~2.808 kWh comes out of the wall.

If you had 240 volt input, on a 30 amp circuit, you should be able to do 24 amps max continuous. 240 volts * 24 amps = 5760 watts = 5.76 kW. For each hour, about 5.76 kWh comes out of the wall.

If you have a volt meter, you can measure whether you're getting 240 volts at that outlet. I suspect no.

MANY other EVs/PHEVs don't have any UI anywhere that says "km/hr" or "miles per hour" for charging speed. None of mine ever have and I'm on my 4th pure EV (2 were the same model). This is across 3 different automakers: Japanese, American and Korean.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH
I should mention that the battery started charging at 12 percent and rate never exceeds 17 km/hr.
What temperature is it where your car is parked right now? if the car is reporting 24/24 then it sees the appropriate amperage. The km/hr metric also reduces because power is going "somewhere else" like battery heating.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Who cares about "km/hr" or whatever? That's a Tesla-centric measure and will vary depending on the vehicle + other factors (supply voltage (which has some variance) and amperage).

117 volts * 24 amps = 2808 watts = 2.808 kW. So, for each hour, ~2.808 kWh comes out of the wall.

If you had 240 volt input, on a 30 amp circuit, you should be able to do 24 amps max continuous. 240 volts * 24 amps = 5760 watts = 5.76 kW. For each hour, about 5.76 kWh comes out of the wall.

If you have a volt meter, you can measure whether you're getting 240 volts at that outlet. I suspect no.

MANY other EVs/PHEVs don't have any UI anywhere that says "km/hr" or "miles per hour" for charging speed. None of mine ever have and I'm on my 4th pure EV (2 were the same model). This is across 3 different automakers: Japanese, American and Korean.
Thanks for the reply. I'll hunt down a volt meter...

I've never owned nor leased a Tesla (been driving BEVs as my primary vehicle since end of July 2013) but yes. I've briefly seen other people's Tesla apps and vehicles while charging besides screenshots. And, I've had other Tesla drivers report that they see ~208 volts when L2 charging at my work. 208 volts is the supply voltage for our work EVSEs and is common for commercial power in the US.

That was the issue. Quick fix for electrician and now all good. Thanks everyone.
I'd be putting that electrician on my do-not-call list. I don't care how nice or cheap he was(or even if he was a relative that was free), that's just sloppy and dangerous work. Other equipment may well have been damaged, seeing 240V between L1 or L2 and 'Neutral'.

I am glad people ask good questions here, and that people give good answers instead of just (as a few people did) saying "don't use mile or km per hour to measure how fast you are charging".

If the OP hadn't asked we would not have diagnosed his problem and he not only would have been charging at half the KW he should have been getting, he also would have had a dangerously miss-wired plug in his house that could have caused harm to equipment or injury to people if it had not been corrected.

One of the reasons that problem got solved was the OP gave good information (mile / km charged per hour, voltage, and amps)... one of the responders (same one that always complains about units / using mile or km per hour as a measure of charging) noting the low voltage is what lead to the solution of the problem... this is why I forgive cwerdna his units mania... he gives good information if you can get past his mania... If I see him in a thread I use incorrect units just to tease him :D

Keith

Last edited: