Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ability to monitor/customize charging via mobile connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 240v/50A NEMA receptacle put in the garage, and am planning to pick up the Tesla mobile connector in anticipation of taking delivery of MYLR next week. The VIN number indicates Lithion Ion batteries, which I'm reading should only charge to 80% in order to maximize battery life. Since I'm not going for the wall charger at the moment, will I be able to monitor and limit charging to 80% by using a "dumb" (ie non-wifi connected) mobile connector charger?

Here is what the app looks like. I can control charging amps and target percentage while connected to the mobile connector.

Attachments

• IMG_4550.jpeg
    IMG_4550.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Whilst degradation is mostly caused by age, charging habits may also contribute and unless you need the range a particular day it is best to charge to only 70%, not 80 or 90.

I rarely use 50% of my battery in one day, so charging to only 70% works fine. Most of the time, I use only 10 or 20 percent of the battery capacity in a day. I only charge higher than that when when I am going to be doing a lot of driving, such as a trip to Miami, etc., or for a road trip I charge to 90% overnight, then set it to charge to 100% to top it up whilst I am getting ready for my trip the next morning.

I don't know if this is really important, but I have never heard anyone say charging to a lower percentage is actually *bad* for the battery.