Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre-conditioning at home...energy pulls from battery instead of the wall? why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like when I precondition my car while its at home and connected to my 240v outlet (its the mobile connector, not hardwired/tesla wall charger) that it seems to draw the energy for the preconditioning from the HV battery instead of straight from the wall? I noticed since I will set the charge to say 80% and then when I leave at a later time after it has already been charged to 80% then I see it dips below 80% and the HVAC has been kicking on.

I though it would pull the preconditioning energy from the wall/mobile connector instead of the HV battery? Not a huge deal but just slightly annoying to start the drive with less than my preset charge...maybe I'll have to charge it a few extra percent to account for this?

It DOES use shore power when connected to a charger, you should be able to verify this via the app and/or indicator lights on the charging equipment.

That said, preconditioning can and often does use more power than the mobile connector can provide. In that case the balance comes from the HV battery.

Ah got it. Thanks!

I see almost no current going to precondition the battery at temps above 50 degrees. Can't comment on lower temps because they don't happen here...

So, I just charge to get the batt warmed up. Makes a slight difference going from a warmish garage to 40ish deg temps as far as efficiency on the road