Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Valet Mode - confusing energy reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's possible - I once averaged 562Wh/km (904 Wh / mile) over 50 km (31 miles) but that was on a small race track, mostly consisting of 4 seconds of acceleration, followed by hard braking, then acceleration again.

You are viewing the last 50km, which has a lower horizontal resolution than the 5mi shown in the OP. It is inherently going to show less peaks and valleys. If you were to switch to 10 km in this shot, you'd see a lot more peaks and valleys--it wouldn't be saturated at the top for a full 1 to 1.5 miles.

And besides, yes I'm talking about streets, not a track. But I don't even think it's possible to peg the graph at 900 Wh/mi for a full 1.5 miles at the track, either. The motor/pack cooling safety measures kick in before that. (Even if you were going up a steep hill, I think the limiter would kick in and reduce output after a short bit).

- - - Updated - - -

I took the the shot of the graph after my approx 2 mile trip home. I checked the parking location of my car on the Tesla app and know it was less than .5 miles away. See my reply above re traffic.

OK, so the valet's return trip is about a mile. The trip to the parking location looks to be about 1.5 miles. Not unreasonable in my mind.

Last edited:
Just to chime in: I don't think there's a "use" issue .... as I see it, it's a "someone spent a lot of time going thru my car with the a/c and music going." So, I'd be more worried what they were looking thru in my car.

I had a similar issue when my car was in for service. So I said something to the SC manager. Since my car had less than a mile added to the odometer, we simply deduced the car was "on" and the a/c was running while they were working on it.

No harm done.