Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

V11 is going to be HUGE!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I disagree. I use to work for a highly regarded company that tests various cars features, particularly safety, including user interfaces on behalf of several well known vehicle manufacturers. I think they would say that the UI is in need of improvement from a usability and safety point of view, especially on RHD vehicles or with left handed users.

I didn't say it was perfect, or that it could not be improved, but the OP was lamenting it not from a usability standpoint but because it wasn't "modern" enough, which sounded to me more like style over substance. However, that said I'm not clear how LH/RH comes into play. What about the shifter on a regular car? I've driven both LHD and RHD cars extensively, and have no trouble switching and adjusting for control arrangements (or, for that matter, driving on the other side of the road).

Yes, I can see several things that could be improved, but a lot that is very well worked out. Ever notice the minimal but careful use of color? Or the highly readable font choices (and my eyesight is far from perfect)? Or the careful use of grays for the various blocks of information? These are the subtle things that provide vital guides for the eyes to assist in locating information. Overall, I would give Tesla 8/10 for the UI.

Thanks! So we'll have to rely on someone here identifying which version is V11

It does show 2020.40.4 as v10.2 in the car, so you'll see it there :
IMG_2764.jpeg

In case you haven't figured out how things work at Tesla yet, let me enlighten you.
Elon takes the most optimistic estimate possible from anyone on the autopilot team. Sometimes he just sets hard deadlines and expects the team to meet them. To add pressure, Elon announces these fictitious dates to the world. When the date isn't met, he is irate at the team and strongly suggests they work the weekends until it is finished. I was told something like this from a former autopilot employee.

sounds like our management :)

• Funny
Reactions: MikeBur
What about the shifter on a regular car? I've driven both LHD and RHD cars extensively, and have no trouble switching and adjusting for control arrangements (or, for that matter, driving on the other side of the road).

At the risk of speaking for @VanillaAir_UK i think the RHD thing has more to do with touch screen interactions being performed with the non dominant hand (for most people). I’m right handed and having driven a model 3 in the US and owning one in the UK, my experience was that it’s significantly more comfortable and controlled when I’m using my dominant right hand in the US LHD models.

It’s little stuff like menus being on the left side in settings, UI target sizes being a bit small and easy to miss when using your non dominant hand.

At the risk of speaking for @VanillaAir_UK i think the RHD thing has more to do with touch screen interactions being performed with the non dominant hand (for most people). I’m right handed and having driven a model 3 in the US and owning one in the UK, my experience was that it’s significantly more comfortable and controlled when I’m using my dominant right hand in the US LHD models.

It’s little stuff like menus being on the left side in settings, UI target sizes being a bit small and easy to miss when using your non dominant hand.

And I don't disagree with those issues ... which is really a change to accommodate RHD, rather than an "improved" UI experience for all users LHD+RHD, which was my pushback.

And I don't disagree with those issues ... which is really a change to accommodate RHD, rather than an "improved" UI experience for all users LHD+RHD, which was my pushback.

Earlier reference to modern = looked at with new perspective and revised usability goals with the aim of creating a driving experience that is safe, concise, clutter free and relevant for the task in hand. Its not a graphic make over that is needed, its a rethink of what is needed, when and how.

LHD/RHD differences should be a non issue. We have these issues because the UI is largely non contextual and cluttered, so items requiring access/use during driving are put in compromised places by features that should not be present on the UI at that point in time. That causes some important items to need reaching for, occluded by the steering wheel (or on screen features) or become a small target - couple of these not great if having to use non dominant hand.

Some controls are overly complicated or poorly placed, not easy to use whilst keeping eyes on the road - not everyone will be doing autopilot and even then, eyes and mind currently still needed to be on the road.

Visualisations seem to be a mismatch of physical items in their 3D space. However their 3D space may not be the best way to understand something - eg a cluster of traffic lights floating in the air, or a road lined with cones or wheelie bins is not very helpful to me - it currently seems to be a 'hey, look what we can see' demonstration. What is needed is to put context to those objects, removing duplication if necessary, highlighting uncertainty or peril - I'm not interested in most cones, the car does a good job of indicating what it thinks is drivable space through them, but if the cones or wheelie bins encroach into that drivable space for example, I want to know. Matching a traffic signal to a particular lane or direction - its pretty useless to have to look closely at something floating in the air on screen to see if a filter (direction) is active - I can see that by looking out of the window. What I want to see is the car showing me the paths at the junction, what path it wants to take me (if navigating) and what the car thinks each path status is, ie stop, go, turn etc.

I could go on. IMHO, the UI needs a rethink to make it good for the task immediately at hand, not using important real estate with buttons, icons, visualisations etc that have minimal or no benefit at that point in time.

imho.

indeed. But for left handed ppl RHD cars are obviously easier hehe

• Funny
Reactions: drewpost
Yes, it does. I like the large FSD visualizations on the driver screen and the map "full screen" ont the center screen. Kinda makes me envy a Model S or X.
I strongly suspect the FSD display will take up more real-estate and the map will shrink on the 3/Y. Eventually, the map may turn into a pop-up app just like it used to be and the permanent background will instead be the FSD.