Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Used Vehicle delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So...ordered a used model 3 off of the the Tesla web site 18th April. took a week to resolve finance process - on line site had problems with accepting driving licence , took 3 attempts include direct email to Tesla,, despite having been approved for finance within 48 hours. then waited and waited . No date was forecast just the Dash board message confirming depost paid , credit approved. Mobile text interactions were initially vague in response. May 15th -reqeust for payment. Made the payment same day. Requested location. Corby - 2.5 hours from me! Informed "refurbishment is scheduled for 2nd June. Enquired what needed doing , what spares were needed. Reply was "not able to go into detail" but I could find out from a service centre later. Today 31st May asked for update. received text saying Tesla are thrilled to provide an update and that my vehicle was 75% complete and going through the "next stage". Frankly I'm stunned by this process. TESLA if you read this - ONLY put up for sale vehicles that have had this work done already. It is franlkly rediculous having to wait 6 weeks for a used vehicle.
Is my experience unique? Not happy. p.s I truly belive the folks dealing with my enquiries have been doing as best as possible within their system. It's the system that's broke.

Is my experience unique?

Nope...

Oh Andy.
So, no, this is ‘normal’ apparently.
You should also know that the booking in date, the ‘next stage’, and the 75% are all complete lies.

A few have cancelled, others are waiting it out, a couple received dogs. I am shopping around, but keeping my order as can’t find what I want locally yet

p.s I truly belive the folks dealing with my enquiries have been doing as best as possible within their system. It's the system that's broke.

I wouldn't bank on that. Support Staff are on record of having made stuff up - repeatedly. I have no idea why they don't say "dunno" or "I'll find out"

It is franlkly rediculous having to wait 6 weeks for a used vehicle.

FWIW my best guess of what is happening is that Tesla have taken in loads of cars, and have not been concerned as to what state they are. Cars that had window tints added, bolt-on alterative surfaces for interior materials and so on are having all that removed. Also any bent bits are being straightened / fixed. In one case PPF was removed, and that took plenty of paint with it, so there was a (partial IIRC) respray ...

I have no idea why Tesla doesn't just send those ones to auction as-is, but I get the impression this is a "new business opportunity". And, as is unfortunately the case with Tesla, they have no plan for how to implement this and instead are doing "Resolve all issues as we discover them". Its definitely a way of working - 1st mover advantage if nothing else - but its also guaranteed to T-off the customers as the one thing they can be certain of is that they don't know the actual delivery date.

No idea why they don't fix-and-then-list. Some of the inventory cars have been sat for months (and months ...) - that's what makes me think this is a deliberate business move - starve other car dealers of stock.

The Corby handover has no facilities - last I heard it was a bloke in the back of a Model-X (not the first time Tesla have done that sort of thing either - to beat an end-of-year-tax-rush (Netherlands I think) they put up a gazebo at the port and told people they could collect their car from the quay ... Staines site looks reasonably smart, but the "Tesla reception building" is a tent ...) once they've ironed the process out I expect there will be a Reception and all the trimmings. And this sort of chaos will then be moved to whatever is the next business-opportunity project

Still happening -

Ordered 29 December 2023 car in Corby and told would be about 3 weeks. After 3 weeks no delivery date despite phoning at least once a week. After being told car was 85% ready a fortnight ago was informed 10 days ago that they were waiting for a part and it was “likely” to be not before the end of the month!

Told that all complete just waiting for door handle. Then informed door handle fitted, great!

But they had to do some cosmetic work! (after having said it was complete)

Promised an update at the end of the week - still heard nothing so will have to chase again next week...

Have been waiting 8 weeks for delivery,

Not impressed

Still happening -

Ordered 29 December 2023 car in Corby and told would be about 3 weeks. After 3 weeks no delivery date despite phoning at least once a week. After being told car was 85% ready a fortnight ago was informed 10 days ago that they were waiting for a part and it was “likely” to be not before the end of the month!

Told that all complete just waiting for door handle. Then informed door handle fitted, great!

But they had to do some cosmetic work! (after having said it was complete)

Promised an update at the end of the week - still heard nothing so will have to chase again next week...

Have been waiting 8 weeks for delivery,

Not impressed

That is shocking. Get on the phone a kick up a fuss. Good luck.

In fairness to them they do say explicitly on the website that it may undergo, or is undergoing light repairs.

IMG_0911.jpeg

In fairness to them they do say explicitly on the website that it may undergo, or is undergoing light repairs.

I know what you are saying but 2 months is not a light repair though and i dont think I would want that car anymore personally... Any other time, they are keen to give brand new cars out with flaws and do the repairs later in all fairness.

Reactions: ringi
I know what you are saying but 2 months is not a light repair though and i dont think I would want that car anymore personally... Any other time, they are keen to give brand new cars out with flaws and do the repairs later in all fairness.
I’d rather they didn’t do that personally, plus issues with new cars tend to be a minor scratch or wheel scuff or similar.

For used cars they’ll often have bigger jobs to do like the recommended maintenance the last owner may not have like brake service, replacing battery coolant etc. along with any known recalls like boot struts and control arms.

I know from my last trade with them in that the Model 3 I handed back to them didn’t get re-registered with the DVLA for 4 months, so I’m not surprised from that perspective.

Reactions: Js1977
I’d rather they didn’t do that personally, plus issues with new cars tend to be a minor scratch or wheel scuff or similar.

For used cars they’ll often have bigger jobs to do like the recommended maintenance the last owner may not have like brake service, replacing battery coolant etc. along with any known recalls like boot struts and control arms.

I know from my last trade with them in that the Model 3 I handed back to them didn’t get re-registered with the DVLA for 4 months, so I’m not surprised from that perspective.

Yes you are right, some minor things are to be expected but what you mention is a couple of days work at most plus any body major (minor) imperfections I would give them another week being generous.

Ive had a car before that needed 7k worth of work done after an accident and included major work.. whole side bar bar minor damage to one of the doors including quarter panel plus replacement wheel and tyre and abs sensor. Took one month to sort.

I think two months is extremely excessive for the excuses given imho

Reactions: boombap