Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

USB Device and music not showing on Refreshed MS LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, six months since I got my LR and just now got it to play music off a USB stick. Is it just my imagination, or was there nothing in the manual about the "TeslaCam" folder not being able to co-exist with a music folder on the same logical device?
I reformatted a 32G USB (just for testing, I'll get a faster/larger one later) to have two partitions, put TeslaCam on one and my music on the other, and it sees the music. That's plugged into the glovebox.
I ordered a USBC-to-female USB cable to plug a new USB drive into one of the the USB-C ports in the console, and that's where I'll put the music. The glovebox will be just for the Tesla-supplied TeslaCam stick.
Phew.

I bought this on Amazon for my MSLR.

USB 3.0 Dual USB C Flash Drive 1TB,3 in 1 Type C Thumb Drives for MacBook Pro Android Phones Photo Stick Tersanhong External Date Storage for Smart Phones,Computers and Tablets​

$32; Came formatted exFat. Works perfectly. Put in console. Left glovebox alone.

I've made some progress thanks to this thread, in trying to get my MSLR to see music on the USB stick. I discovered that if I partitioned the USB into two logical drives, I could have music on oane nd TeslaCam on the other and the music was recognized.
So I ordered a new USB stick, copied my music onto it, and plugged it into one of the USB-C ports in the console.
The car cannot see it [reason in next post]

I bought this on Amazon for my MSLR.

USB 3.0 Dual USB C Flash Drive 1TB,3 in 1 Type C Thumb Drives for MacBook Pro Android Phones Photo Stick Tersanhong External Date Storage for Smart Phones,Computers and Tablets​

$32; Came formatted exFat. Works perfectly. Put in console. Left glovebox alone.
Well. I read this and bought the same drive from Amazon, figuring it's been vetted.
It's a counterfeit. Returning it today. Total POS. First I got errors, then I downloaded a USB stick validator that reports it's non-functional.
My mistake was not realizing that this price is still low for a 1T stick. Be careful out there.
Run, don't walk, from anything that looks like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HPR29YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Well. I read this and bought the same drive from Amazon, figuring it's been vetted.
It's a counterfeit. Returning it today. Total POS. First I got errors, then I downloaded a USB stick validator that reports it's non-functional.
My mistake was not realizing that this price is still low for a 1T stick. Be careful out there.
Run, don't walk, from anything that looks like this: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B09HPR29YS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can tell you that so far I have loaded about 5GB of songs on it and it works flawlessly. Loaded from my Mac. On my prior car, a '17 MS, the Sandisk 64GB small USB drive would fail to load about 50% of the time. Maybe I got lucky?

Bruce, I had loaded about 25G of stuff and then started having problems. I did a chkdsk on the stick and it reported bad files. Nothing I did resolved the problem. That's when I got suspicious. These counterfeit drives report a large capacity, but as you write to them they stop working above a certain point. Also it was slow as molasses to write.

I suggest writing more to it, and checking what you wrote with fc (Windows) and the entire drive with chkdsk.

Here's a utility to test for fake USB sticks: Fake Flash Test - Fake USB and SD Card Testing - WinUSB

(I'm on Windows, so you may need to track down the Mac equivalents)

Last edited:
The only issue I have with the usb music is that when I leave the car and then return the usb always starts at the beginning of my music. It never plays songs from the spot I was listening to. It is a pia. So now I only use usb music when I want to play an individual album

Just bring this topic back on line....recently my 500gb external HD, which was functioning just fine in the Tesla no longer is recognized by the Tesla. Weird. It's fine if I hook it up to my computer, but for some reason, the Tesla now won't see it. There is no option to play usb music anymore. Anyone have this issue recently? I am on the news software update, 2023.2.10. 2019 M3 LR.

Perhaps the update removed USB as a source. Go into sources and either select USB, or toggle USB if it is already selected. Then reboot the car using the scroll wheels. Updates sometimes change things.
I tried that. Well, this had happen before the latest software update. Just this week though. So, it was on the same version, before the update today. 2022.4.30 or so I think. I don't even have a choice to select USB or toggle. :(

The only issue I have with the usb music is that when I leave the car and then return the usb always starts at the beginning of my music. It never plays songs from the spot I was listening to. It is a pia. So now I only use usb music when I want to play an individual album
You can use the voice command "Switch to USB" and it should startup where it left off. Prior to v2022.44.30.x, you could use the voice command "USB" to do the same thing, but it has been broken in newer releases. Hopefully, it will be fixed as it's easier to do.

I tried the USB Switch, etc. Nothing works.. The same drive has worked for the past 3 years. Then all of the sudden, it doesn't. The drive is fine, works and I plug it into the computer and is FAT32. The car does see and recognizes it for sentry (teslacam) but not music. Strange.

I think Tesla must have changed something in the software for it as I used to have the 500gb drive with a folder for Music and Teslacam. They both worked. Now it only recognizes the Teslacam folder as a priority and ignores the Music folder. But I put the Teslacam folder on a separate drive and delete it from the 500gb drive, then it will read both. STRANGE and a PAIN.