Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

custom horn sound issues in a multi-partition USB flashdrive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Late 2022 Model Y, FSDbeta 2023.44.30.5.1, USB port in glovebox. I am only getting 2 of 3 custom horn sounds available from Toybox. I have 3 files - one is .WAV, two are .MP3s - only one of the 2 MP3s are showing. All 3 files show up in the USB app and play OK from there, and of course play OK on my computer.

I formatted the Tesla-supplied flash drive on a macOS with DiskUtility as GUID scheme (partition map format) (same as GPT Windows), and then created 3 partitions ExFAT (same as FAT32): TESLADRIVE with 1 folder TeslaCam for dash cam, 1 file at root LockChime.wav custom lock chime. Another partition is LIGHTSHOW with a LightShow folder for a custom light show and 2nd folder for others to manually copy to the single folder (haven't tried yet). Third partition is MEDIA with two folders, Boombox and Music, and the 3 custom horn sound files are in Boombox folder. The dashcam is working fine after much trial and error (*) all works except only 2 of these 3 horn sounds show.

Any ideas to get all 3 custom horn sounds working?

* On the trial and error: after the most recent update, this is my first attempt at custom sounds and also at a multi-partition USB flashdrive. First, I formatted the Tesla flashdrive as MBR which didn't work at all. After GUID formatting the drive, creating all 3 partitions at once didn't work either (dashcam fail). GUID, then adding the two small ExFAT partitions one-by-one in DiskUtility, then finally formatting the TESLADRIVE largest partition as ExFAT worked but NOT if I created the TeslaCam folder by itself -- had to create TeslaCam folder at root, and RecentClips folder with a recent clip in that folder (copied from the drive when I let Tesla format it and recorded a dashcam clip) - now dashcam works, and, custom lock sound works, and I can select custom horn on 2 of the 3 files but not the third one which I want. The third file is very short 1 sec and does not show up in the list on custom horn sounds. Alphabetically it would be in position 2 of the 3, or, first if MP3s are before WAVs.

Only one file will be recognized and it recognized whatever you named as lockchime without any number

I think you misread my post. My post is about custom horn sounds, not custom door lock sound. I have the one custom door lock LockChime.wav file set up OK in the dashcam's drive (partition) and know that's just one file / one sound.

Other posts I've read: the first 5 sound files in Boombox should be available as custom horn sounds are supposed to be available according to other posts, if stored in a separate flashdrive in Boombox folder - or if stored in a separate partition of a single flashdrive partitioned into multiple "logical" drives as I've done.

I successfully have two custom horn sound files showing confirming this, and the custom locksound works along with dashcam (so the partitioning of the USB flashdrive is OK). But the third soundfile for the custom horn sound is not showing in the list of available horn sounds. Right now there are 3 sounds I'd like to pick from depending on my mood so just 3 files total in the Boombox folder. That is what I'm seeking help with, if someone has experienced this very specific issue and perhaps there is guidance on filename, length or something else I'm missing. The 3rd soundfile shows fine in the Tesla's USB app and plays fine if I click on it, so the file itself is readable by the Tesla USB media player app.

By the way, you do not need all those partitions, you only need two. Both of the partitions should be formatted as exFat

In one of the partitions you need a folder at the root called Teslacam, this will be used by the camera system. You do not need to create sub folders here as Tesla will do it automatically.

In the second partition you can put the folders for everything else. You will want one folder at the root named boombox, and a second folder at the root named lightshow. The one for your music can be named anything you want.

Reactions: GOVA
Have you tried removing all of the horn files except the one that’s not showing up? I would do that as a test to see if it works. If it does not work then the problem is that file.

Thank you, that isolated the problem, even as one file it did not recognize in custom horn tone menu. The issue must have been the file. I opened the MP3 in macOS Audacity, exported it as WAV (thus converting it) and now it opens (all 3 files showed) in custom horn. Interestingly, Tesla's USB media player app does show and play the MP3 so the custom horn is "fussier". Unfortunately, it turns out I won't use the custom horn as press-and-hold-the-horn on steering wheel only plays the file once, rather than repeating it.

By the way, you do not need all those partitions, you only need two. Both of the partitions should be formatted as exFat

In one of the partitions you need a folder at the root called Teslacam, this will be used by the camera system. You do not need to create sub folders here as Tesla will do it automatically.

In the second partition you can put the folders for everything else. You will want one folder at the root named boombox, and a second folder at the root named lightshow. The one for your music can be named anything you want.

Thank you.

The custom doorlock seems *not* to work (with 3 partitions, I haven't yet tried reformatting to two) if I unlock and quickly lock (lock sound returns to default beep-beep).

But it does work if I've sat in the car for a minute or two and then lock (iPhone proximity walk-away lock function).

Almost as if the flashdrive is taking time to mount and recognize the custom file. Any thoughts on this? (This is with the stock Tesla USB flashdrive installed in the glovebox USB port.) I am being careful to go into Safety and turn off dashcam, before removing the USB drive, so as not to corrupt files or the drive filesystem.

Tried two partitions (TESLADRIVE with TeslaCam folder and LockChime.wav both at root; MEDIA with Boombox, Music, and LightShow folders at root and custom horn sounds in Boombox folder) and no custom horn soundfiles were recognized.

Went back to three partitions (TESLADRIVE, LIGHTSHOW with LightShow folder, and MEDIA with Boombox and Music folders, custom horn sounds in Boombox) and custom horn sounds recognized as available again!

Bizarre but I'll stick with 3 partitions as it seems to work. Judging by other comments / threads, Tesla recognition of multiple partitions depends on the USB device, Tesla model and model year, whether a multi-port adapter is used or nor (for me, not).

On both of above (2-partition and 3-partion): formatted TESLA DRIVE USB flashdrive with GUID scheme macOS Journaled, then added sequentially 2 small partitions MEDIA and LIGHTSHOW as ExFAT in macOS Disk Utility, and finally erased (re-formatted) the remaining (largest 110GB) partition as ExFAT also called TESLADRIVE to contain the TeslaCam folder.

Thank you.

The custom doorlock seems *not* to work (with 3 partitions, I haven't yet tried reformatting to two) if I unlock and quickly lock (lock sound returns to default beep-beep).

But it does work if I've sat in the car for a minute or two and then lock (iPhone proximity walk-away lock function).

Almost as if the flashdrive is taking time to mount and recognize the custom file. Any thoughts on this? (This is with the stock Tesla USB flashdrive installed in the glovebox USB port.) I am being careful to go into Safety and turn off dashcam, before removing the USB drive, so as not to corrupt files or the drive filesystem.
It should not time out since the dashcam accesses it when Sentry is running. I would not use the USB drive from Tesla. I suggest an SD card with a USB adapter. Just make sure the card is high-speed and high-endurance.

Also, it could be turning off the dashcam is your problem. Don't bother doing that, is it unnecessary.

It should not time out since the dashcam accesses it when Sentry is running. I would not use the USB drive from Tesla. I suggest an SD card with a USB adapter. Just make sure the card is high-speed and high-endurance.

Also, it could be turning off the dashcam is your problem. Don't bother doing that, is it unnecessary.

Thanks again. Any reasons not to use the USB drive from Tesla?

Dashcam turning off - I only did this to remove the drive and turned it on after re-inserting the drive. I found if I left dashcam on, I would at times get an error on the media (corrupted) when manually removing the drive since no "Eject" option.

Note for others reading this: although 3 partitions worked for me for custom lock sound & dashcam (one partition), and custom horn sounds & media (another partition) working; with LightShow partition & LightShow folder at root on the third partition - I did *not* test any custom LightShows (yet, ran out of time and no interest in this at the moment). It's just if I had only 2 partitions and included a LightShow folder at root on the media partition, it "broke" all custom horn sounds being recognized (none appearing in the list).