Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgradeing your drive unit from standard to a P

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I almost hesitate to post this, but my replacement drive unit feels a bit less "zippy" than my original one did. (I have an S85). It's still pretty darn quick, and maybe it's just me "getting used to it" but to me it was noticeable. Could I have possible had a P unit from the factory by mistake?

I remember reading a post about someone with a S85 running a 0-60 in about 4 seconds. It was a few months ago. At least in that thread, the owner hypothesized that he may have received a P drive unit by mistake. I don't remember how that ended up. I'm approaching middle age, my photographic memory is more like a faded Polaroid.

Yes but prices are not based on cost. Prices are based on what the market is willing to pay. This is why TM has a 30% profit margin. If prices were based on cost TM would have 0% profit margin and the Gigafactory could not happen.

Cost also includes expected warranty costs. If I was Tesla I'd presume that P85's would have a higher warranty cost than a standard 85 because they're likely to be driven harder. That raises the costs of warrantying not just the drive unit.

I asked about this and was told that it's more than just a simple swap and won't be offered. Apparently there is more difference between models that makes an upgrade not so simple.

I mentioned seeing an interview where Elon discussed a similar performance upgrade offered to Roadster owners but apparently it's apples and oranges.

I asked about this and was told that it's more than just a simple swap and won't be offered. Apparently there is more difference between models that makes an upgrade not so simple.

I mentioned seeing an interview where Elon discussed a similar performance upgrade offered to Roadster owners but apparently it's apples and oranges.

This is not correct. Only difference is the drive unit and firmware. It could be done during a drive unit replacement but would be costly I'm sure.