Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Upgrade your Audio after Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
View attachment 268703 View attachment 268704 View attachment 268705 View attachment 268706 View attachment 268707 View attachment 268708 View attachment 268709 Depending on if you can do the labor yourself, $2.5-$5K will afford you an excellent upgrade over the base and premium Tesla sound system.

I recently added Alpine Type R speakers, JL Audio Sub, JL amp, and LCi6 line out converter. I also added sound deadener to all of the doors. It sounds amazing. I’ll provide a full write up and video soon. But here are some pictures as a preview.

Excellent choice.

Reactions: playoutside
I just installed 4 Infinity Kappa 62.11i, 150W, 6.5”, 2 ohm, two way coaxial speakers,
Removed (destroyed) the factory speakers and re-used the factory bracket/mount.

Cost: $99 for two speakers @Amazon. $200 total for 4s.
Sound:They sound amazing, went from muddy mid/highs to crystal clear, and more bass.

Installation:
Front doors went super quick. After removing the factory speaker , the infinity mount in the bracket using the supplied screws directly in the factory bracket by drilling 4 holes.
Rear doors were more challenging as I had to cut about half an inch from both the speaker mount and the door panel speaker area (Oh! the horror!) to be able to put the panel back. The infinity+ factory bracket assembly is taller the the factory speaker+mount.

It took some work but I’m happy. Did not take any pictures unfortunately.
Next is a NVX sub, which I’ll have installed by a shop, hopefully next week.

Reactions: cyphear
I've been talking with Jarek Light Harmonics and they are willing to ship their replacement speakers for the standard audio system direct from China for $499 /pair. So you could get 2 for just the front doors or 4 for the front and rear.

Light Harmonic's S4D for Tesla Model S
[email protected]

Maybe a group buy could reduce costs if we have a few people who are interested.

I'd be interested if it didn't take months to get.

I just installed 4 Infinity Kappa 62.11i, 150W, 6.5”, 2 ohm, two way coaxial speakers,

Sound:They sound amazing, went from muddy mid/highs to crystal clear, and more bass.

Installation:
Front doors went super quick. After removing the factory speaker , the infinity mount in the bracket using the supplied screws directly in the factory bracket by drilling 4 holes.
Rear doors were more challenging as I had to cut about half an inch from both the speaker mount and the door panel speaker area (Oh! the horror!) to be able to put the panel back. The infinity+ factory bracket assembly is taller the the factory speaker+mount.

I just did exactly the same. Nice and easy; took a few hours. Great little project and for the cost totally worth it.

Installation:

Did your car have the standard or enhanced audio option?

I've been talking with Jarek Light Harmonics and they are willing to ship their replacement speakers for the standard audio system direct from China for $499 /pair. So you could get 2 for just the front doors or 4 for the front and rear.

Light Harmonic's S4D for Tesla Model S
[email protected]

Maybe a group buy could reduce costs if we have a few people who are interested.

Where would you get them installed? Local car audio shop?

I installed one Kappa today, what a mess. The first speaker went well, the other speaker was bad. Free replacement but 2 hours of self doubt and work down the tubes. I swapped the speakers and wires every way imaginable.

If you do this change I have some observations: You need a way to cut up the old speaker mounts, I used an oscillating cut off tool but a hack saw blade should work. The Kappas' wiring has socket terminals with screws, very secure and nothing like the Tesla original. Either cut the car's wire and forsake the plug or adapt the connectors, but don't expect the wiring to be trouble free. TEST THE SPEAKERS BEFORE MOUNTING, do not repeat my mistake. Note the + and - wires when you remove the stock speakers. Upgrade your music; at first I thought there was no change in sound - it was my MP3 file. I went to my FLAC collection and the difference was very noticeable.

Final update.
After three weeks I can say this is a worthwhile change. Just changing the door speakers to Infinity Kappas and changing to FLAC music on the USB drive gave a very noticeable improvement. The Infinity speakers seemed to need about two to three hours play time to "break in". After that it took me another week to get the equalizer set right.