Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Downgraded Audio? Might want to let buyers know [rwd vs awd]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings all! I vent only in hopes that someone uses their head next time. No answers here I'm sure, so apologies for the rant, but (for some strange reason) this one really, really, irks me. I just took delivery of my pretty awesome RW MY a month ago, and am overall quite happy with it...except for the 7 speaker audio system..ok, and maybe a couple of the rattles;). So why NOBODY mentioned this when weighing the differences between the dual, and RW, is beyond me. They (more than 1 in the local "gallery", and when taking delivery) mentioned the fog lights, and the parcel cover..period. The only test drive vehicles available at the "gallery", were Dual Motor vehicles, for the WOW factor, I get it. I LOVE my music, and every vehicle I've owned has always had the best system available. While on the test drive, my passenger and I were blown away with the sound, and it might have been what really sealed the deal for me, I know, it's the little things. Literally, there seem to be 3 things, other than a motor, and more range, that are different, so how everyone forgot to mention it comes with half the speakers, and no sub, has me scratching my head. Had I known it had a downgraded audio system in it, I may have opted for the Dual. I don't wish it on many, but really hoping this brilliant idea generator no longer has a job with Tesla. Really..how much money did it save?

I agree that their web site, especially the vehicle comparison tool, need to better highlight what the differences are between variants.
That's an understatement! With such a different (in a mostly good way) buying experience, I pretty much relied on the test drive, a few YouTube videos, and Tesla reps, throughout the buying experience. Then pulling the trigger with the "available inventory" on the Tesla site. Hey, I LOVE a "new"..and sometimes, confusing challenge, so love the car otherwise..ok..the FSD is a work in progress, which tests the limits of my control issues, and (I've been told) aggressive driving habits. Thanks for the confirmation! Hope to be of some actual help down the road..

Reactions: RNHurt
I bought a Model 3 SR+ in 2019, and the product page on Tesla's website very clearly stated that the sound system was not the same as the premium audio in the LR model, and it even called it a "Partial Premium Interior". For some reason on the Model Y RWD, they don't distinctly call it that. It's misleading in my opinion.

That was a change implemented for 2024. The 2023 RWDs have premium audio so all the reviews on this site of the RWD model from last year won’t be calling out that difference since it didn’t exist. I checked the Tesla site and it does show the audio system…but it’s not real obvious and it doesn’t directly contrast “custom audio” with “premium audio”

Attachments

• IMG_0450.png
    IMG_0450.png
    382.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
That was a change implemented for 2024. The 2023 RWDs have premium audio so all the reviews on this site of the RWD model from last year won’t be calling out that difference since it didn’t exist. I checked the Tesla site and it does show the audio system…but it’s not real obvious and it doesn’t directly contrast “custom audio” with “premium audio”
I would think that the 1 motor, less range, SHOULD have been enough of a savings for most. On doesn't want to "cheapen" the brand too much. Hey, if after the fact, I didn't see more than one review stating how Tesla "quietly downgraded" the audio system, I may be a little less irked. Perhaps, it was SO quiet that non of their employees knew to tell prospective buyers when pointing out the very few differences between the two. It just leaves a bad taste is all, in an otherwise really enjoyable experience!

• Informative
Reactions: TSLA Pilot
I would think that the 1 motor, less range, SHOULD have been enough of a savings for most. On doesn't want to "cheapen" the brand too much. Hey, if after the fact, I didn't see more than one review stating how Tesla "quietly downgraded" the audio system, I may be a little less irked. Perhaps, it was SO quiet that non of their employees knew to tell prospective buyers when pointing out the very few differences between the two. It just leaves a bad taste is all, in an otherwise really enjoyable experience!
It's likely too late, but please visit the Gallery where you test drove the Dual Motors and see if they can escalate this with a fair value-"OOPS" trade-in on your RWD MY, one that makes you whole-ish so that you may upgrade to a Dual Motor/Long Range MY . . . .

Can't hurt to ask, and ALSO ask them to escalate this to a regional manager because you ARE right--this is a very hard to find/notice difference that's buried on their web page (if it's there at all).

Please keep us posted!

• Funny
Reactions: Leeclanual
I bought a Model 3 SR+ in 2019, and the product page on Tesla's website very clearly stated that the sound system was not the same as the premium audio in the LR model, and it even called it a "Partial Premium Interior". For some reason on the Model Y RWD, they don't distinctly call it that. It's misleading in my opinion.
Interesting! I always wondered what “partial premium” meant. Now I know. But what a funny phrase. Kind of like “partial zero emissions vehicle”. It either is or it isn’t! And in this case, it isn’t premium.

It's likely too late, but please visit the Gallery where you test drove the Dual Motors and see if they can escalate this with a fair value-"OOPS" trade-in on your RWD MY, one that makes you whole-ish so that you may upgrade to a Dual Motor/Long Range MY . . . .

Can't hurt to ask, and ALSO ask them to escalate this to a regional manager because you ARE right--this is a very hard to find/notice difference that's buried on their web page (if it's there at all).

Please keep us posted!
Good to know I'm not (that) nuts. I'm about a mile away from the "gallery" and was planning on popping in to run it by them just two make them aware. Hate to think they were told to keep it quiet, but it's in the back of my head. We've all had our share of "in person" let downs, so thought it best to let a little steam off here before venturing in. I'll venture in today, and who knows.. I'll live, and still be happy with my new plaything, regardless.:)

Interesting! I always wondered what “partial premium” meant. Now I know. But what a funny phrase. Kind of like “partial zero emissions vehicle”. It either is or it isn’t! And in this case, it isn’t premium.
It's becoming a little more clear as to why they may have cancelled the Model 2. Probably best to wait for other costs to come down, before taking everything away that the brand is known for. In the mean time, people can only take so much in the "playing games with words" department before saying.."hey"..then it's incredibly hard to recover.

Just an update...Ventured into the Tesla "gallery" today, and had a nice chat with the mgr who completely agreed with me, and agreed, they do need a much better online comparison tool, one that doesn't leave prospective buyer wondering what they're trying to hide. I'm not one to be a PITA, just wanted to let them know, and they assured me the gripe would be relayed.

Just an update...Ventured into the Tesla "gallery" today, and had a nice chat with the mgr who completely agreed with me, and agreed, they do need a much better online comparison tool, one that doesn't leave prospective buyer wondering what they're trying to hide. I'm not one to be a PITA, just wanted to let them know, and they assured me the gripe would be relayed.
first time?

• Funny
Reactions: zroger73
The difference in price between the RWD and LR AWD is only around $3K on discounted inventory models. I don’t understand why anyone would choose RWD for such a small savings. Even if you ignore the audio system differences, for $3K you get a much faster car, longer range, and dual motors for better traction. That’s a lot of extra car for only $3K more.

The difference in price between the RWD and LR AWD is only around $3K on discounted inventory models. I don’t understand why anyone would choose RWD for such a small savings. Even if you ignore the audio system differences, for $3K you get a much faster car, longer range, and dual motors for better traction. That’s a lot of extra car for only $3K more.

Only if those extras have value to the buyer, $3k isn't nothing. The 23 MY RWD was right for what I wanted. Didn't care about faster acceleration and the day to day range is pretty much equivalent to the LR assuming one sticks with the 80% charge recommendation (the RWD can access the same kWh by charging to 90% for the 2023 or 100% for the 2024 so that the battery is physically 80% charged). I might miss the AWD on some occasion, but I've never felt the need for it before.

I may have been more on the fence for 2024 though, with the downgraded audio and the further lock down of the battery capacity.

Reactions: mborkow
Interesting. My dual motor Model Y drives incredibly smooth in chill mode, as did my similar M3. How much more smooth can it be? Regarding range, what is the real world difference in range?
This is anecdotal but the energy app in my car typically shows my range at 290 miles. The AWD Model Y carriers around an additional 200 lbs on the front axle. This makes for a bumpier ride and reduces efficiency (though obviously has other advantages since that 200 lbs is an additional drive unit). I’m not saying the AWD is worse than RWD (or that RWD is better); they each have their own advantages especially when the RWD battery pack isn’t actually smaller (as in the case of a software locked battery that’s actually bigger than spec). Is the Carrera 4 a better 911 than the Carrera?