Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Audio in 2024 Model 3 RWD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There’s lots of reviews on the 2024 (highland upgrade project) AWD Long Range, which I have test driven twice. The audio system sounds good with incredible (probably too much) power. One can easily turn it up to where I’d be concerned about damaging the speaker elements. What I cannot find information on other than the one article I read here is what the audio system is like in the base model, rear wheel drive (RWD) version. I’ve seen 2 reviews on YouTube that show that both speaker mounting positions in the trunk under the rear seat shelf are empty, unlike the all-wheel-drive long range model, which has two speakers mounted there, supposedly subwoofers. On line in numerous places it says there is a Sub-woofer in the RWD model. The fact there are 9 speakers specified (this being an odd number) tells me that it either has a centre speaker in the dash or it has a Subwoofer (somewhere else). Can anyone tell me a) Is there a subwoofer? And b) If so, where it is located?
I have a 2024 model 3 RWD on order. In B.C. where I live the provincial incentive doesn’t apply to the model 3 AWD/LR because it’s a car (limited to $55K) but does apply to the model Y AWD LR, because it’s an SUV (limited to $70K) even though the incentive does apply in other provinces and also at the Federal level. I will be selling my 2012 VW Jetta highline 2.5 which has the Fender designed, Panasonic stereo system with enclosed sub-woofer under the rear seat shelf. It’s the best sounding (stereo only- best for music IMO) audio I’ve ever had in a car. Much better than the Bose system in my previous 2002 Audi S4!

There's no subwoofer. The number of speakers is odd because there are 3 in the front dash.

As for the difference between the Premium and standard audio, there are (in my opinion) 2 things that stand out:

1) In the standard system, almost all the sound is coming from in front of you, whereas in the premium system it's a bit more "around" you, thanks to the rear shelf speakers

2) Due to the lack of a subwoofer, the standard sound system doesn't hit the deep bass frequencies (sub-45Hz). This may or may not be a noticeable difference depending on the type of music you listen to and what kind of sound system you're accustomed to.

There's maybe even one benefit to the standard system, which is that all the bass is coming from the door speakers instead of a subwoofer. This means that a) the bass doesn't sound like it's coming from behind you (which I find a bit off-putting), and b) you feel it more in your chest (at least from my experience).

If you're picky about your sound quality, you could install an aftermarket subwoofer and DSP. This can give you a deeper bass response than even the Premium system.

There’s lots of reviews on the 2024 (highland upgrade project) AWD Long Range, which I have test driven twice. The audio system sounds good with incredible (probably too much) power. One can easily turn it up to where I’d be concerned about damaging the speaker elements. What I cannot find information on other than the one article I read here is what the audio system is like in the base model, rear wheel drive (RWD) version. I’ve seen 2 reviews on YouTube that show that both speaker mounting positions in the trunk under the rear seat shelf are empty, unlike the all-wheel-drive long range model, which has two speakers mounted there, supposedly subwoofers. On line in numerous places it says there is a Sub-woofer in the RWD model. The fact there are 9 speakers specified (this being an odd number) tells me that it either has a centre speaker in the dash or it has a Subwoofer (somewhere else). Can anyone tell me a) Is there a subwoofer? And b) If so, where it is located?
I have a 2024 model 3 RWD on order. In B.C. where I live the provincial incentive doesn’t apply to the model 3 AWD/LR because it’s a car (limited to $55K) but does apply to the model Y AWD LR, because it’s an SUV (limited to $70K) even though the incentive does apply in other provinces and also at the Federal level. I will be selling my 2012 VW Jetta highline 2.5 which has the Fender designed, Panasonic stereo system with enclosed sub-woofer under the rear seat shelf. It’s the best sounding (stereo only- best for music IMO) audio I’ve ever had in a car. Much better than the Bose system in my previous 2002 Audi S4!
Based on the information I can see in Tesla's online schematics the new RWD is very similar to the old one (I have a '23). There's definitely room for improvement, replacing the dash and door woofers can make a pretty big difference, and although the install would be different, assuming the holes are in the rear deck for subwoofers, just add an amp tap into the door woofer signals and add a couple of subwoofers. Be careful as you would want IB (infinite baffle) or subwoofers that work in a very large box. You probably just need a spacer/adapter to mount the subwoofer as Tesla never seems to do things easy for the aftermarket.

I have free 3D printable files on my website for many dash/door speaker adapters that should still work with the Highland, as the dash and door woofer part numbers didn't change from '23 to '24. Unless Tesla hasn't properly updated the documentation of course.
www.rwaudio.com
If you want to read about my impression of the new premium system in the highland, vs my upgraded RWD it might put into context what you can attain even if you go for the cheaper car. The subwoofer info isn't valid, but I'm sure there's an easy upgrade path for that as well.

I do remember them saying that the new model three3 RWD would have one subwoofer. And the long range would have two. However, I don’t see the stated anywhere anymore.
I don't believe the RWD has a subwoofer. It comes down to not enough amplifier channels to run one. The reason the RWD has the speakers running that it does (and some that are installed and not hooked up) is that there is only one amp which is integrated into the MCU. The premium system adds an amplifier in the back that powers the balance of speakers and subwoofers.

Reactions: howardhsu