Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Update on the Salt Lake City Tesla store turmoil

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In that same vein, I have a relative who invested in a beer distributorship, and he has a feeling that middle men who invested in infrastructure should have a permanent monopoly in the areas they invested in. Otherwise, who would ever invest in anything? I find this idea the most frustrating thing imaginable.

I work for a Plumbing and HVAC distributor that invested in the infrastructure to do the same thing that a beer distributor does, and we are not protected at all by laws keeping 3rd party distribution in place, like beer distributors or preventing manufacturers from selling direct to the consumer, which some do. I guess the Plumbing wholesale lobby didn't invest in the right lobbyists years ago so they could keep their monopolies.

... I guess the Plumbing wholesale lobby didn't invest in the right lobbyists years ago so they could keep their monopolies.
It's tax money that does it. The sales tax on a car is so significant, local governments don't want to do anything to piss off the auto dealers who lay the golden eggs. The fact that people in their constituency will buy cars, and that the tax revenue will flow regardless of who's selling them doesn't seem to enter their too-often empty heads.

It's tax money that does it. The sales tax on a car is so significant, local governments don't want to do anything to piss off the auto dealers who lay the golden eggs. The fact that people in their constituency will buy cars, and that the tax revenue will flow regardless of who's selling them doesn't seem to enter their too-often empty heads.

I don't think sales tax revenues enter into their thinking at all, just election campaign contributions. NADA spends big; Tesla can't afford to outbribe them.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I stopped by the SLC SC yesterday and saw two cars with "Sold Car" signs in the window. That's in addition to 4 I saw last week. So despite the best (worst?) efforts of anti-free enterprisers in the legislature Tesla continues to sell cars in Utah.

Indeed, a Virtual Store with shiny cars in the sealed showroom and stylish mannikins gesturing toward the many features. Sensors detect human body warmth approaching the outside windows thus mannikins move to the next car, doors open & close, lights flash.

If the public somehow still hasn't gotten the clue to simply call Tesla and order their car, then they don't deserve one (just yet). :rolleyes:
--

Just watched the Jim Chen video. Jeez, what a ridiculous situation.

But then, hey, Utah owners, count your blessings! At least your state didn't ban the service center! Tesla can't even open one up anywhere in my state. Pretty soon I have to take my car in for its 2-yr maintenance, and it's gonna involve a hotel stay because I have to drive to Denver (grumble, grumble!)...

• Informative
Reactions: SW2Fiddler

But then, hey, Utah owners, count your blessings! At least your state didn't ban the service center! Tesla can't even open one up anywhere in my state. Pretty soon I have to take my car in for its 2-yr maintenance, and it's gonna involve a hotel stay because I have to drive to Denver (grumble, grumble!)...

I was told that for $100, they will come to you to do the service. (No SerC near me, either.)

I think Tesla is great, but i cannot imagine buying an expensive car that has no service available within 200 to 300 miles. Whatever possessed you?

I charged at the supercharge there on the Sunday before Memorial Day. Everything was closed but it looked like it was operating normally. There was a car in the window that said sold on it and a full showroom
When was the last time you went to an auto showroom and could NOT get a test drive ?

This is NOT normal.

I charged at the supercharge there on the Sunday before Memorial Day. Everything was closed but it looked like it was operating normally. There was a car in the window that said sold on it and a full showroom

Kind of funny that in a state where Teslas can not be sold most every time I stop by the service center to charge or just use the WiFi there are always cars there with "Sold" signs on them. In fact when I was there last week there were 4 or 5 in the lot with Sold signs. So anti-free enterprise legislature or no Tesla is selling here in Utah.

- - - Updated - - -

When was the last time you went to an auto showroom and could NOT get a test drive ?

This is NOT normal.

It's operating normally as a service center. Until the Utah legislature wakes up to reality it must remain a service center and not a dealership or showroom.

BTW, regarding waiting for a test drive, is that not normal at Tesla dealerships? Seems like I've heard of waiting lists elsewhere.

BTW, regarding waiting for a test drive, is that not normal at Tesla dealerships? Seems like I've heard of waiting lists elsewhere.

That would be "store", since it is a company-owned facility, not a franchised dealership.

There may be waiting lists somewhere especially on weekends, but I have found that the two stores I have visited had cars available for walk-in shoppers to test drive on weekdays, so no, there are not waiting lists universally.

Boutique store versus dealership
Tesla will get by just fine, the product sells on merit.

Ha! I was wondering when that little detail would strike home.
How many of us went to a typical dealership environment to purchase our model S?
My experience was a boutique Tesla store.
I gathered the information, drooled on the merchandise and rushed HOME,,, to make my purchase.
In my 45 years of dealing with dealers, I saw the light.
I went to the fair, saw the bearded lady and never went back to the farm.

Last edited: