Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unveiling on Oct 17th

What's your best bet on what Tesla will reveal on Oct 17th?

• Autopilot 2.0

Votes: 233 36.4%
  • Model 3 - Part 2 (better-looking face, Head up display driving w/o wheel etc)

Votes: 65 10.2%
  • Non-performance 100D (world's longest range EV)

Votes: 100 15.6%
  • 65 kwh/ 80 kwh battery for Model S/X (60/75 will be removed)

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Model Y (small SUV)

Votes: 72 11.3%
  • Tesla Semi

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • Tesla Bus

Votes: 12 1.9%
  • Tesla Pick-up truck

Votes: 11 1.7%
  • Faster/better supercharger (200 kw charging, or charging snake)

Votes: 52 8.1%
  • Iron Man metal suit

Votes: 69 10.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Musk cannot really oversell Model 3 without also enticing S/X owners to buy today. Out of the 350K pre-orders, I am sure a 100K+ are current Tesla owners (what's in an extra $1K pre-order while X/S sales tax itself would be 6-8X more). His job to would be to bring in current model-3 waiters to buy S today. Interesting to see what this would be. Likely a Model Y based on 3 platform?

I think the Tesla Vision/HUD for the 3 (and announced as available for S/X) makes sense. It's a new product, it is consistent with part 2 of Model 3 reveal - interface.

Seems like it has to be coupled with AP 2.0 though. The scale in which Elon is hyping this as part 2 of the unveil and a new product it would be a huge disappointment if it were only Tesla glass on Tesla 8.0 with AP 1.0 - why wouldn't they just wait until AP 2.0 is ready to unveil Glass?

Reactions: Canuck
Some people have asked where this will be "streamed. This "reveal" is not being streamed. As near as I can tell, at 5PM California time Tesla will issue a press release and a blog post (check for it at Updates | Tesla) and Elon will hold a 30 minute Q&A conference call with some journalists who will instantly post their stories and likely get a lot of things wrong but at least we will have some idea pretty quick. I hope that Tesla posts a transcript of the Q&A but I wouldn't count on it.

My personal opinion is that Elon is going to announce "Tesla Vision" which is a new driver/car interface for Autopilot operation, and the word "Autopilot" will be dropped in marketing materials and replaced with "Tesla Vision". Recall that just after the Model 3 reveal on 3/31/2016 Elon tweeted that the steering wheel shown on the prototype cars was "not the real steering wheel" and that driving the Model 3 would be like "a spaceship".

I think we are about to see the "spaceship" controls introduced very soon on the S and X and then available on the 3 as an option.

Fasten your seat belts...

Musk cannot really oversell Model 3 without also enticing S/X owners to buy today. Out of the 350K pre-orders, I am sure a 100K+ are current Tesla owners (what's in an extra $1K pre-order while X/S sales tax itself would be 6-8X more). His job to would be to bring in current model-3 waiters to buy S today. Interesting to see what this would be. Likely a Model Y based on 3 platform?
Yes, but if the new product is something really great and it's offered soon on the S/X, some 3 reservation holders may jump to the premium models in order to get this product/feature now, rather than waiting a year or more to finally getting it on the 3.

Seems like it has to be coupled with AP 2.0 though. The scale in which Elon is hyping this as part 2 of the unveil and a new product it would be a huge disappointment if it were only Tesla glass on Tesla 8.0 with AP 1.0 - why wouldn't they just wait until AP 2.0 is ready to unveil Glass?
Elon's not holding an event - I think that should lower expectations appropriately. Expecting everything at once is probably setting oneself up for disappointment.

Some people have asked where this will be "streamed. This "reveal" is not being streamed. As near as I can tell, at 5PM California time Tesla will issue a press release and a blog post (check for it at Updates | Tesla) and Elon will hold a 30 minute Q&A conference call with some journalists who will instantly post their stories and likely get a lot of things wrong but at least we will have some idea pretty quick. I hope that Tesla posts a transcript of the Q&A but I wouldn't count on it.

My personal opinion is that Elon is going to announce "Tesla Vision" which is a new driver/car interface for Autopilot operation, and the word "Autopilot" will be dropped in marketing materials and replaced with "Tesla Vision". Recall that just after the Model 3 reveal on 3/31/2016 Elon tweeted that the steering wheel shown on the prototype cars was "not the real steering wheel" and that driving the Model 3 would be like "a spaceship".

I think we are about to see the "spaceship" controls introduced very soon on the S and X and then available on the 3 as an option.

Fasten your seat belts...
You bring up a good point regarding the dropping of Autopilot and the renaming to Tesla Vision. Never thought of that but a great upgrade to not only introducing a new product but also silencing all of those critics who have expressed their dislikes for the name Autopilot.