Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unplugged by another S owner... Tysions Corner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have just unplugged them & then sat and waited for them to come back to check on their car (like you did when your charging was interrupted).

They'd have some 'splaining to do.

^ This is what I would've done also.

- - - Updated - - -

Being able to text other owners would be very handy. VIN to VIN would preserve privacy. I'd bet there are gobs of situations like this where the person charging doesn't really need more charge and someone pulling up is in desperate need and a simple text could allow them to take it without harming others, being a douche, or living with guilt.

I wonder if a phone camera could get a good enough image of the VIN for that to work? Maybe Tesla should include a QR somewhere?

That's a great idea! :)

I was right with you (YEAH MAN, LET'S GO GET THEM!) until I got to that line.

I don't see how someone leaving a note in that case would have been helpful... as they waited for you to finish shopping and come out and read the note so they could park and charge?? Not very timely.

I don't get that.

If you left your phone number visible on your car, perhaps. But even then, you've crossed a line I wouldn't. If I'm not charging, I'm not taking up a space where someone else could charge. To avoid door dings I'm always happy just to park the next state away and walk over.

Andrewket explained the location better than I did, basically there are only a few spots that you can charge and about 4 you can't, so that's where I would park to avoid door dings. Not a charging spot.

I arrived with about 20%, and left with about 50%.

Again it was the unauthorized & unexplained unplugging from the wall socket that upset me. We all get the notifications from the app and to have to get up and leave dinner to check wasn't what I expected or had in mind.

Nope it's a great idea with a terrible implementation. I've been really tempted to implement something that doesn't depend on any particular platform. But I also think the concern over putting your phone number on your car is a tad overblown.
Just get a (free) Google Voice #, set it to forward to your cell, and put that on your note. If you start getting crank calls, change the GV #.

I do not care how you phrase it, unplugging another car charging is not appropriate. I would never do that in any situation, wait for someone to come and leave then plug in. It is unfortunate that there are people out there that only care about themselves and still see chargers where there are ICE car parked. In some cases it is lack of understanding but in this case it was rude.

Nope it's a great idea with a terrible implementation.

Why does the app even need your Tesla credentials? I see no reason for it to need them...

EDIT: actually, they're optional - they let you get access to things like battery charge status...

I also don't see why this app has to be platform specific actually: the QR code could simply be a URL that your phone's browser's going to open (any smartphone will do that), and do the actions from that web page. The only reason to have a specific app, IMO, is to be able to send push notifications to the target user (which is reasonable I think).

-- Greg

Last edited:
Why does the app even need your Tesla credentials? I see no reason for it to need them...

It does? Wow.

I also don't see why this app has to be platform specific actually: the QR code could simply be a URL that your phone's browser's going to open (any smartphone will do that), and do the actions from that web page. The only reason to have a specific app, IMO, is to be able to send push notifications to the target user (which is reasonable I think).

That was my critique a while back.

But this is getting side tracked from everyone venting about someone unplugging someones car.

This is a simple thing: some people are entitled douchebags.

You really had two choices:
- Let it go
- Unplug their car.
Well done for not being a douchebag.

A third choice I would have made: leave a note on the offending car. Otherwise the offender could have gone on oblivious and repeat it in the future.

I have had the reverse situation happen on one of my trips last year passing by Palm Springs (before their SC). Stayed overnight at a hotel with a 14-50 plug, but it was used by a Tesla with 2 other Tesla's parked beside it apparently also waiting for a charge (one was plugged into a nearby 120v plug....). My frustration was increased when a roaming security guard told me that the Tesla had been parked there for the last 2 days plugged in that way!

Or he was sitting in his car doing the right thing waiting for his charging to end at which time he would re-plug your car when, wham, he has to head for the head and missed you?

Did you leave your # so he could call you with an explanation?

Boy, the old Tesla charging etiquette lessons seemed a lot simpler. But putting one's number inside one's ChargePort door is an excellent idea!!
--

Totally not cool. I wish their was a way to text the other cars via the app - some kinda of geolocation thing that notified all cars in the same geolocation about the request to plug in / pull the plug. I was traveling to the Bethesda SC and every spot was filled with a Tesla - yet all of them were charged...but no plug-in was available. Bottom Line I wasn't in bad need of a charge, but if I had been I would have pulled the 14-50 and stayed with the car or left a note, because it was my only accessible charge location.

I like this idea. All the cars have WiFi in addition to 3G, right? So in principle, you could have something in the firmware in the navigation screen or car management screens that says something like "all chargers taken."

When you get to a charging location and find all the chargers plugged in, you hit this new button. The car then sends out a pulse message over WiFi to all the cars in WiFi range saying it wants to plug in - and those cars send an alert over the mobile app to notify their owners someone is waiting.

(The cars would either have to be set to automatically build a peer to peer network, or the message could be passed by creating a network on the car with a specific SSID that the others look for.)

If the physical layout works for it, you could even go further - the app can have an "okay to unplug me" choice available - which when selected would cause your car to turn on lights and unlock the charge port (leaving the rest of the car locked) and send a WiFi message back to the car that wants to charge telling it what's happening. That will only work with long charge cords and multiple spaces available, of course.

If Elon eventually gets his self plugging cords and self driving within supercharger areas working, the "okay to unplug" choice could cause the car to disconnect and move from the supercharger stall to the waiting area in the long term.
Walter

I do not care how you phrase it, unplugging another car charging is not appropriate. I would never do that in any situation, wait for someone to come and leave then plug in. It is unfortunate that there are people out there that only care about themselves and still see chargers where there are ICE car parked. In some cases it is lack of understanding but in this case it was rude.

Can't agree here. If a vehicle is clearly full charged and the owner is not present and I need a charge I have zero qualms about unplugging the other vehicle. I've done it several times and will continue to do so. If theyare still actively charging, that's a different situation and, unless I am desperate for a charger and in a very big hurry, I would not unplug them. But this is a whole new world we're exploring here as far as appropriate behavior with chargers. I think it is really important, if you're leaving your vehicle, that you communicate with others who may need to use the charger. Estimated time of return, urgency of charge, a contact number, and whether it's OK to unplug or not. It's just common sense and good manners.

I do think it would be good if Tesla would come up with some means of facilitating this sort of communication at the Superchargers at least, but I suspect it is pretty low on the priority list.

Great idea but it's hard to say if the vehicles have ad-hoc wifi support which is what would be needed.

I was thinking it is using basically a cell phone radio chipset/basecode, so it should be fully capable of creating networks as well as joining them.

As I pointed out above, the cars wouldn't necessarily have to pass data by WiFi to one another - as long as one car can create a WiFi network with an arbitrary prearranged SSID (PleaseLetMePlugIn? :) ) and the others can see it, the message can be passed.
Walter

Can't agree here. If a vehicle is clearly full charged and the owner is not present
Whoa whoa whoa Evan. The OP was only 50% charged when involuntarily unplugged.
What if he HAD needed a full charge?

How are you first ascertaining a car is 'clearly full charged' in your justified cases anyway? (If there's a way to tell, I am eagerly willing to be educated in the methods)
Primum non nocere, y'all.

edit: when I charge at the Tesla Gallery, I give the staff a heads' up that I am topping off and can be texted to remotely unlock the port if someone more truly needful arrives. They have my cell # and they know Pearlie May by her rare mod (front license plate :) ).

Last edited:
I was thinking it is using basically a cell phone radio chipset/basecode, so it should be fully capable of creating networks as well as joining them.

Depends on the chip. Some offload more of the wifi protocol to the CPU, some handle more of it themselves. The latter ones are better for embedded systems like this.

As I pointed out above, the cars wouldn't necessarily have to pass data by WiFi to one another - as long as one car can create a WiFi network with an arbitrary prearranged SSID (PleaseLetMePlugIn? :) ) and the others can see it, the message can be passed.

That's sneaky but yes it could work.

How are you first ascertaining a car is 'clearly full charged' in your justified cases anyway? (If there's a way to tell, I am eagerly willing to be educated in the methods)
The HPWC and UMC have the green bar that's oscillating while they're providing power to the car (which would be the case here). The few Blink and Chargepoint chargers I have used indicate if they're in use. I don't know how you'd tell at a Supercharger.