Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just installed on my 2020 Model 3 😁
20240419_145221.jpg

Doesn't this support my argument? I notice that when the map is lagging, the autopilot visualisation isn't, which implies that it's being rendered elsewhere.
Why would the map lag when the Intel Atom is apparently plenty powerful enough for the UI? It doesn't lag in the AMD cars.

Not directed at you as you also agreed it probably would be up to it. I've seen videos of AMD vs Intel side by side and the Intel is clearly not as smooth.

The new parked UI has a new 3D car model that you can pan around with shadows at what is 1080p res roughly. There's also the map semi blended into the window, etc. I'm sure they'll want this all running at 60fps as a minimum so it seems nice and smooth, I stick by my option that an iGPU from 2015 cannot do this.

Why would the map lag when the Intel Atom is apparently plenty powerful enough for the UI? It doesn't lag in the AMD cars.

Not directed at you as you also agreed it probably would be up to it. I've seen videos of AMD vs Intel side by side and the Intel is clearly not as smooth.

It use to be silky smooth, so clearly not a CPU constraint. Just a hunch, but I suspect things have got a bit more bloated so it’s got less memory to play with so cannot cache as much. It was once very rare to see it waiting to load a map tile.

So where does it get its tiles when you are in an underground car park with no connectivity?

Its a rhetorical question.

It use to allow significant panning of the map, but I don’t think it’s as far reaching as it was.

Ie map data is probably cached but not so much now.
It caches them? area tiles cached, I presume.
it was major issue with tiles november/december when there was connectivity issues all over the place.

yeah.. mcu 2 with atom comes with 64 gb of emmc memory.. it is well more than enough for any OS + apps..
Linux is not THAT memory hungry.

all in all, I think it all comes what is easiet to run on, and then trickle down the chain later once a bit more optimized etc

Well... Teardowns have shown storage to be full on the OS partition and Tesla have been deleting unused libraries to get space back. It's not even a single partition anyway.

Running flash storage anywhere near full is not sensible long term, it needs to hold any updates before applied, sentry can use it, it's separated into partitions, so 64GB isn't what's available anyway.

Nothing is ever that simple.

Last edited:
Find it too intrusive. Dabs the brakes constantly for no reason, makes you pull out too early for overtakes, trims speed, gets speed limit wrong really often and slams the brakes on. Has me constantly on edge. It’s fine in slow traffic on motorways but under normal driving I just want a set speed that doesn’t change. Had it on other cars and hated just as much, not just Tesla, would be lovely to be able disable it

Find it too intrusive. Dabs the brakes constantly for no reason, makes you pull out too early for overtakes, trims speed, gets speed limit wrong really often and slams the brakes on. Has me constantly on edge. It’s fine in slow traffic on motorways but under normal driving I just want a set speed that doesn’t change. Had it on other cars and hated just as much, not just Tesla, would be lovely to be able disable it
Dumb cruise is close to useless in this country in my opinion. There's too much traffic on the road that you can barely use it. It has to be adaptive to have any value here.

I find Tesla's to be very good. My only criticism is other cars would have a HUD where the car infront when close enough would then be displayed on the HUD in the lane. That would get closer to you as you caught up but when it first came up you'd not be slowing just yet. If you then changed lane at this point, car would keep you at your speed without issue and assuming you weren't closing the gap extremely rapidly had a reasonable time to do it.

Tesla don't really offer any indication on that. I've got used to where it probably will start to slow but would still like some indication on the display. Maybe it's just a line on the road but a bit behind the car infront that is saying when the car infront's rear is at that line the Tesla will need go start slowing.

Minor point I guess and I imagine with EAP it's handling all of this for you.

Last edited:
The point in which it starts to slow is dependent on your speed, the car in fronts speed and the 2-7 setting.

Setting 2 can be very late on the brakes, particularly if there is a large speed differential to the car you are catching in front.

Likewise if you are happy to sit back behind traffic in front, it’s sometimes preferable to be further back then setting 7 would allow, it could do with an 8, 9, and 10.

You still need to manage it a bit if you want to make the most progress.

The point in which it starts to slow is dependent on your speed, the car in fronts speed and the 2-7 setting.

Setting 2 can be very late on the brakes, particularly if there is a large speed differential to the car you are catching in front.

Likewise if you are happy to sit back behind traffic in front, it’s sometimes preferable to be further back then setting 7 would allow, it could do with an 8, 9, and 10.

You still need to manage it a bit if you want to make the most progress.
Yeah I understand that, just saying it would be even easier if there was a visual reputation on where the car currently plans to start braking based on that setting and the speed you are closing on the car infront. Change lanes before that, no loss of speed and if not you'll slow but you know its going to happen and exactly when.

Would also I think make my wife more comfortable as regardless she's always worried it might not brake. Even though it does, she's "But how do I know it'll do it the next time".

TACC under vision only is not as good as it was under radar. It allows quite a gap to open up before it thinks abouts catching up.
Used at night, it often closes the gap too much.
But that’s Teslavision for you. Poor man’s radar…
This^ when I first got the car in December 2021 and it had radar, TACC was decent enough. The acceleration is now much more jerky and slows down too late. Also, in the slightest bit of inclement weather on motorways, it can be close to dangerous when passing as it craps itself and slows down on a regular basis. But hey it works fine in Californian weather so all good 🙄

Having had normal cruise for decades and being able to judge/anticipate speed of the cars in front of me, had no issues toggling the cruise speed on the wheel on UK roads without braking. If you can’t do that you shouldn’t be on the road and/or are driving too close up other drivers ar$e’s…

Reactions: Dilly
This^ when I first got the car in December 2021 and it had radar, TACC was decent enough. The acceleration is now much more jerky and slows down too late. Also, in the slightest bit of inclement weather on motorways, it can be close to dangerous when passing as it craps itself and slows down on a regular basis. But hey it works fine in Californian weather so all good 🙄

Having had normal cruise for decades and being able to judge/anticipate speed of the cars in front of me, had no issues toggling the cruise speed on the wheel on UK roads without braking. If you can’t do that you shouldn’t be on the road and/or are driving too close up other drivers ar$e’s…
Right so you are adapting the cruise speed yourself constantly. You can use it that way, I suspect most don’t as it’s not really how it was designed to be used.

That feels like a chore and I’d rather just use the accelerator pedal for that if the car wasn’t able to do this adapting for me. Hence stick to my point that it’s pretty useless on UK roads at least in the congested south.

How you get from my comment that I shouldn’t be on the road because I cannot drive or tailgating is bizarre.