Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Spring Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Best thing about this update is that radio stations now switch almost instantly.

Now I just wish it would flash up with the new station name somewhere whenever you switch and have trip or tyre pressure card showing.

On a separate point, the new climate icon is weirdly different to the others - looks like it was designed by a completely different team.

People with Intel chips - I wouldn’t sweat it. You really aren’t missing much.

Last edited:
Best thing about this update is that radio stations now switch almost instantly.

Now I just wish it would flash up with the new station name somewhere whenever you switch and have trip or tyre pressure card showing.

On a separate point, the new climate icon is weirdly different to the others - looks like it was designed by a completely different team.

People with Intel chips - I wouldn’t sweat it. You really aren’t missing much.
I just wish they'd implement RDS TA properly so it could interrupt your existing listening, like every other car does.

Not really those reroutes are often wrong and/or out of date. I simply don't trust them any more. I've been rerouted miles out of my way down country roads because of some percieved obstruction that turned out to be nothing.

Would rather know what's ahead and make my own decisions.

I don't want to start yet another argument, but same with any other car, you normally don't get new features / UI via OTA upgrades.

Welcome to car ownership, where someone who once bought a 2019 model can't be really mad if the 2024 newer model has better features...

Don't cry because it's over, but smile, because it happened (for a while)...
If the features they claimed the car came with actually worked I would be happy not to receive any updates. At least I wouldn't be guessing at what has stopped working after each update as I do currently.

Do we think majority of us will get this update in “Summer”? The roll out feels rather slow, despite the accelerating push ref. Not a tesla app…

In terms of the views exchanged wrt features/ software; I guess all comments have valid points but my POV is that obsolescent hardware / software will have a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the car as well as it is depreciation, in comparison to any other car, considering all the features, functionality, potential improvements (no matter required due to the problems or just to improve user experience) are all dependent on the capability of the hardware - in a vehicle platform which is basically a computer on wheels - that I really like for its simplicity. This is something which I have never worried with any other car that I owned previously. I genuinely hope Tesla will stretch and continue delivering these updates as much as possible, especially if OTA are really a USP for the brand from a user experience improvement perspective.

Reactions: FastLaneJB
Do we think majority of us will get this update in “Summer”? The roll out feels rather slow, despite the accelerating push ref. Not a tesla app…

In terms of the views exchanged wrt features/ software; I guess all comments have valid points but my POV is that obsolescent hardware / software will have a bigger impact on my enjoyment of the car as well as it is depreciation, in comparison to any other car, considering all the features, functionality, potential improvements (no matter required due to the problems or just to improve user experience) are all dependent on the capability of the hardware - in a vehicle platform which is basically a computer on wheels - that I really like for its simplicity. This is something which I have never worried with any other car that I owned previously. I genuinely hope Tesla will stretch and continue delivering these updates as much as possible, especially if OTA are really a USP for the brand from a user experience improvement perspective.
I normally get it probably 2 weeks after some of the first people in UK so I see the usual suspects just recently got it so maybe a week and a half roughly. Right at the back end basically.

I understand your point on software. Previous cars would have say an 8 year model life, after that they'd have a few new body panels, made it 15mm longer, 1mpg more efficient and 10hp more. Oh and you'd have got a slightly improved infotainment. Cars were just well refined and didn't improve much over the years.

Now it's all changed, not only is the software now far more important but a lot of the key hardware of a car is all new. The drive train being the key one but even how they make cars, reduce components to do more with less. The rate of change is rapid.

Think along the lines of the early days of PC's or even smartphones. You'd upgrade more often because the changes from year to year where rather large and made a meaningful difference to you. Now unless you'd PC or phone is extremely old you could upgrade and hardly notice any difference or benefits at all. They tell me the camera gets better every year on the iPhone but it's been years since that was really noticeable or it made a useful difference. The pictures have been good enough for a long time.

So I don't plan to own a current EV for too long, it's still early days and the hardware and software now has a long way it can go before it starts to settle down. That'll happen when the R&D costs vs the gain make no sense. Look at batteries, they have ones in labs with many times the energy density and far faster charging. Others than are less fire risk, some that don't degrade hardly at all, etc, etc. What we own right now seems extremely modern and powerful but it's basically at the 486 or Pentium days of computing.

Obviously for those on this forum that are retired, they have a good reason to keep their car. For the rest a PCP or Lease is maybe the way to go so you can keep a more current car. That or second hand but change it reasonably often to keep up. Of course if you don't have the finances for it then understand but be no different to having to accept a car with a tape player when others had CD players, you need to accept you don't have the latest and greatest but it'll still do the job.

Reactions: Benotomy
I recon the majority will get it over the next 2 weeks as we seem over the early issues.

Also take a look at how many cars are talked about by any of these tracking websites and remember there are millions and millions of Teslas out there, they don’t have any secret source or knowledge, you guess is as good as theirs or mine.

As for updates, sadly after 8 years I’ve found the thrill has become replaced with more apprehension and frustration. We get the merry go round and who’s getting what, what’s broken that was working before, finally getting stuff we should have had from day one, learning a new UI etc. Take the wipers.. for the last 6 months. I press for a single swipe and then I use the scroll wheel left and right to change, I didn’t need to look, it’s now part of the release notes, only you now go up and down..

There have been half a dozen useful changes over the years.. adaptive headlights, speed cameras, alternate routes, I’m now struggling, and all of which were part of our BMW from day 1. They’re also increasingly running into hardware issues as we’re seeing now, but when I look at what Ryzen is giving.. it kinda feels more like Tesla are making their older cars struggle or have second rate features to get owners to upgrade, the MCU was perfectly capable on FSD beta in the US with lots of complex graphics so why is it now suddenly a challenge?

Don’t get me wrong. As a means to fix something that’s broken it’s very convenient, I just suspect Tesla are doing what Apple and the likes have been accused of over the years.

Reactions: Benotomy
I suppose in the next 5-10 (or a little longer) years we could be talking about which self driving robocar hire/membership we should go for, instead of owning/hiring a car. I also think this why Tesla is focusing on simplicity not only for cost reduction but also to embed the idea and the experience to customers for something they have as a vision, hence their resistance to install HUD and brave moves with removed buttons, stalks etc…

I suppose in the next 5-10 (or a little longer) years we could be talking about which self driving robocar hire/membership we should go for, instead of owning/hiring a car. I also think this why Tesla is focusing on simplicity not only for cost reduction but also to embed the idea and the experience to customers for something they have as a vision, hence their resistance to install HUD and brave moves with removed buttons, stalks etc…
Feel like you’ve hit the nail on the head there.